Ghost 9 -cannot find secondary drive

I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created an Image of my C:
drive and copied it to an F: drive successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD
are NTFS.

However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the image from F: to
C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.

It did find it when running the copy from the OS.

It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.
7 answers Last reply
More about ghost cannot find secondary drive

    <emmitsuks@optonline.net> wrote in message

    > I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created
    > an Image of my C: drive and copied it to an F: drive
    > successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD are NTFS.

    > However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the
    > image from F: to C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.

    > It did find it when running the copy from the OS.
    >
    > It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
    > running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.

    So what is the detail on the drives ? Are they both
    normal IDEs or is the F drive on a controller etc ?

    There is a mechanism for loading a driver for drives
    that need it with the boot off the CD, its in the manual.

    And drive letters can change when booted off the CD
    too. It may be that the drive that gets the letter F in
    XP is getting a different letter when you boot the CD.

    If the F drive isnt physically in the same PC as the C drive
    but is a mapped network drive, you can still use it when
    booted off the CD, but you may need to name it explicitly
    when browsing for it when specifying the image to restore.

    My two extra drives are in the same PC and share the same IDE. The one
    drive is ATA133 and is using the latest drivers.

    On the ghost website it says is supports the following:

    Norton Ghost is supported on FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X, NTFS,
    dynamic disks, Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3, and Linux swap partitions.

    Unfortunately I cannot get rid of the data on the drive and it will not
    fit on the C: drive.

    I sent Symantic this same question and here is their response:

    "Hi Emmitsuks,

    Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

    I gather from your message that when booting from CD the hardive is not
    being recognized.

    Emmitsuks, please be aware that Ghost CD is bootable, allowing you to
    perform a bare metal recovery from within the Symantec Recovery
    Environment (SRE) using Microsoft's 32-bit WinPE technology. Hundreds
    of various drivers are included on the CD-ROM, allowing RE to access
    both network and local drives. If the driver for your specific hardware
    cannot be found on the CD, or if the drivers are too old for the
    firmware installed on that hardware, one or more of the drives will not
    be seen.

    To resolve this issue during the SRE boot, press the F6 key when
    prompted to manually load the drivers from the floppy disk. (Many
    drivers will contain a utility that create a floppy driver disk for
    this very purpose. If not, contact the manufacturer for instructions.)
    Please note that you need to obtain the DOS driver floppy disk for your
    external device. For assistance in obtain or installing the DOS drivers
    for your external drive, I would request you to contact your system
    vendor or drive vendor. They will be able to provide you better
    assistance in this regard.

    Please feel free to contact us if you need any further assistance in
    using the Symantec Product.
    Regards,

    Arun Senthil
    Symantec Authorized Technical Support"

    > It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
    > running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.

    AFAIK, DOS can't access NTFS drives although I suspose there may be third
    party tools to allow this. Therefore, Ghost won't be able to see your
    partitioned drive. This is with a version before Ghost 9 but it might not
    have changed.

    Some options:

    1) Re-create the image partition as FAT32 assuming you don't mind lossing
    the image
    2) If you do need image, copy to your C: drive if you have enough space,
    re-create F: as FAT32 and copy back
    3) Use a 3rd party tool like PartitionMagic to convert NTFS to FAT32 on the
    fly (expensive)

    Having been an advocate and user of Ghost for many years, I recently
    evaluated Acronis TrueImage. An excellent product that leapfrogs Ghost - we
    are switching ASAP:

    o Ability to do images on the fly, i.e. whilst the O/S is still running
    (impressive)
    o Can access NTFS drives when you boot from their recovery CD-ROM
    o Has excellent support for network cards from their recovery CD-ROM
    allowing restore across the network

    Ghost 9 has caught up with some of these features (images on fly) but not
    sure about the other two.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Drivers for your hard drive? What drivers are those? Why would your
    hard drive need drivers?

    Is it a huge hard drive? It is possible that your bios doesn't support
    it but the OS does.

    Are you sure they are two physical hard drives as opposed to several
    partitions on a single hard drive?
    It's might be these kind of issues or something similar.

    IMF

    I can't beleive it but I got it to work. I can't tell you what a releif
    this is. You know when you become obsessed with something that should
    work but doesn't!
    I have 3 hard drives( 200 Gig Western Dig and 150 Gig Maxtor) on a
    seperate IDE than the 40 Gig Maxtor which is the C:.
    The 200 & the 150 are both on the same IDE with a controller because
    the 150 gig is a ATA\133.

    I could not see either of these drives when booting off the CD even
    though I successfully created a image on them in Ghost.

    I took the 200 Gig drive off the IDE for the ATA133 and put it on the
    same IDE as the C: drive and it found it.
    It still makes no sense as to why it couldn't see it before.
    It must have something to do with the PCI ATA/133 controller. I have
    the latest drivers on it .
    As an alternative I took Roberts advice and procured myself a copy of
    Acronis TrueImage 8.0. I am not sure if I will use it not that I have
    the Ghost 9 working properly.
    I appreciate all your assistance and will try and assist another who
    might have the same issue.
    Happy New Year!
    Emmitsuks
    Go Steerles

    > Environment (SRE) using Microsoft's 32-bit WinPE technology. Hundreds
    > of various drivers are included on the CD-ROM, allowing RE to access

    That sounds more hopeful. First time I've heard about WinPE...

    Cheers, Rob.

    "Rob Nicholson" <rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> writes:

    >> Environment (SRE) using Microsoft's 32-bit WinPE technology. Hundreds
    >> of various drivers are included on the CD-ROM, allowing RE to access

    >That sounds more hopeful. First time I've heard about WinPE...

    WINdows Pre-execution Environment. In effect it's a stripped-down version
    of Windows that can be used to run a specified application (perhaps the
    Windows setup program, a data-recovery tool, or Ghost) with the basic
    functions of Windows (including NTFS access) available via both GUI and API
    (thus the ability to access NTFS disk partitions, network files, etc.)

    There's a similar program avilable on the Net: "BartPE". It's available
    at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder but I have no experience using it.

    One stated (by MS) function of WinPE is to replace DOS boot disks
    as the mechanism to start up a dump/restore program. MS has stated
    that next year it will cease all licensing of MS-DOS, meaning that
    instead of needing a few seconds for a boot to complete and be ready
    to start a dump or restore, you have to wait for an entire XP kernel
    to load and initialize. This is progress? <groan>

    Note: I don't have any information about how the generic user can
    acquire a legal copy of WinPE. The only availability info I've
    seen refers to OEM vendors and volume license customers.

    Joe Morris

CD-Rom Storage