Ghost 9 -cannot find secondary drive

I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created an Image of my C:
drive and copied it to an F: drive successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD
are NTFS.

However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the image from F: to
C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.

It did find it when running the copy from the OS.

It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.

<emmitsuks@optonline.net> wrote in message

> I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created
> an Image of my C: drive and copied it to an F: drive
> successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD are NTFS.

> However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the
> image from F: to C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.

> It did find it when running the copy from the OS.
>
> It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
> running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.

So what is the detail on the drives ? Are they both
normal IDEs or is the F drive on a controller etc ?

There is a mechanism for loading a driver for drives
that need it with the boot off the CD, its in the manual.

And drive letters can change when booted off the CD
too. It may be that the drive that gets the letter F in
XP is getting a different letter when you boot the CD.

If the F drive isnt physically in the same PC as the C drive
but is a mapped network drive, you can still use it when
booted off the CD, but you may need to name it explicitly
when browsing for it when specifying the image to restore.

My two extra drives are in the same PC and share the same IDE. The one
drive is ATA133 and is using the latest drivers.

On the ghost website it says is supports the following:

Norton Ghost is supported on FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X, NTFS,
dynamic disks, Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3, and Linux swap partitions.

Unfortunately I cannot get rid of the data on the drive and it will not
fit on the C: drive.

I sent Symantic this same question and here is their response:

"Hi Emmitsuks,

Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I gather from your message that when booting from CD the hardive is not
being recognized.

Emmitsuks, please be aware that Ghost CD is bootable, allowing you to
perform a bare metal recovery from within the Symantec Recovery
Environment (SRE) using Microsoft's 32-bit WinPE technology. Hundreds
of various drivers are included on the CD-ROM, allowing RE to access
both network and local drives. If the driver for your specific hardware
cannot be found on the CD, or if the drivers are too old for the
firmware installed on that hardware, one or more of the drives will not
be seen.

To resolve this issue during the SRE boot, press the F6 key when
prompted to manually load the drivers from the floppy disk. (Many
drivers will contain a utility that create a floppy driver disk for
this very purpose. If not, contact the manufacturer for instructions.)
Please note that you need to obtain the DOS driver floppy disk for your
external device. For assistance in obtain or installing the DOS drivers
for your external drive, I would request you to contact your system
vendor or drive vendor. They will be able to provide you better
assistance in this regard.

Please feel free to contact us if you need any further assistance in
using the Symantec Product.
Regards,

Arun Senthil
Symantec Authorized Technical Support"

> It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
> running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.

AFAIK, DOS can't access NTFS drives although I suspose there may be third
party tools to allow this. Therefore, Ghost won't be able to see your
partitioned drive. This is with a version before Ghost 9 but it might not
have changed.

Some options:

1) Re-create the image partition as FAT32 assuming you don't mind lossing
the image
2) If you do need image, copy to your C: drive if you have enough space,
re-create F: as FAT32 and copy back
3) Use a 3rd party tool like PartitionMagic to convert NTFS to FAT32 on the
fly (expensive)

Having been an advocate and user of Ghost for many years, I recently
evaluated Acronis TrueImage. An excellent product that leapfrogs Ghost - we
are switching ASAP:

o Ability to do images on the fly, i.e. whilst the O/S is still running
(impressive)
o Can access NTFS drives when you boot from their recovery CD-ROM
o Has excellent support for network cards from their recovery CD-ROM
allowing restore across the network

Ghost 9 has caught up with some of these features (images on fly) but not
sure about the other two.

Cheers, Rob.

Drivers for your hard drive? What drivers are those? Why would your
hard drive need drivers?

Is it a huge hard drive? It is possible that your bios doesn't support
it but the OS does.

Are you sure they are two physical hard drives as opposed to several
partitions on a single hard drive?
It's might be these kind of issues or something similar.

IMF

I can't beleive it but I got it to work. I can't tell you what a releif
this is. You know when you become obsessed with something that should
work but doesn't!
I have 3 hard drives( 200 Gig Western Dig and 150 Gig Maxtor) on a
seperate IDE than the 40 Gig Maxtor which is the C:.
The 200 & the 150 are both on the same IDE with a controller because
the 150 gig is a ATA\133.

I could not see either of these drives when booting off the CD even
though I successfully created a image on them in Ghost.

I took the 200 Gig drive off the IDE for the ATA133 and put it on the
same IDE as the C: drive and it found it.
It still makes no sense as to why it couldn't see it before.
It must have something to do with the PCI ATA/133 controller. I have
the latest drivers on it .
As an alternative I took Roberts advice and procured myself a copy of
Acronis TrueImage 8.0. I am not sure if I will use it not that I have
the Ghost 9 working properly.
I appreciate all your assistance and will try and assist another who
might have the same issue.
Happy New Year!
Emmitsuks
Go Steerles

> Environment (SRE) using Microsoft's 32-bit WinPE technology. Hundreds
> of various drivers are included on the CD-ROM, allowing RE to access

That sounds more hopeful. First time I've heard about WinPE...

Cheers, Rob.

"Rob Nicholson" <rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> writes:

>> Environment (SRE) using Microsoft's 32-bit WinPE technology. Hundreds
>> of various drivers are included on the CD-ROM, allowing RE to access

>That sounds more hopeful. First time I've heard about WinPE...

WINdows Pre-execution Environment. In effect it's a stripped-down version
of Windows that can be used to run a specified application (perhaps the
Windows setup program, a data-recovery tool, or Ghost) with the basic
functions of Windows (including NTFS access) available via both GUI and API
(thus the ability to access NTFS disk partitions, network files, etc.)

There's a similar program avilable on the Net: "BartPE". It's available
at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder but I have no experience using it.

One stated (by MS) function of WinPE is to replace DOS boot disks
as the mechanism to start up a dump/restore program. MS has stated
that next year it will cease all licensing of MS-DOS, meaning that
instead of needing a few seconds for a boot to complete and be ready
to start a dump or restore, you have to wait for an entire XP kernel
to load and initialize. This is progress? <groan>

Note: I don't have any information about how the generic user can
acquire a legal copy of WinPE. The only availability info I've
seen refers to OEM vendors and volume license customers.

Joe Morris