WD 120 deletes files and more...

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
December 29, 2004 8:49:37 PM

Hello,
I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've done
several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I go
file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am experiencing?
Thanks everyone,
Brian

More about : 120 deletes files

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 30, 2004 11:06:36 AM

"MagikLair@gmx.net" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
> had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
> files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've done
> several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I go
> file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
> different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am experiencing?
> Thanks everyone,
> Brian

The WDxxxxBB drives seem to be rancid with problems. (JB - so far - are
OK by me.)

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Odie Ferrous wrote:
> "MagikLair@gmx.net" wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
>>had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
>>files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've done
>>several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I go
>>file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
>>different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am experiencing?
>>Thanks everyone,
>>Brian
>

> The WDxxxxBB drives seem to be rancid with problems. (JB - so far - are
> OK by me.)
>
> Odie

FWIW, I've got a couple of AB drives that seem fine.

a b G Storage
December 30, 2004 8:16:31 PM

Size and size on drive are almost always different, and that is normal.
Any pattern to what is disappearing?

IMF

MagikLair@gmx.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
> had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
> files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've
done
> several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I
go
> file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
> different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am
experiencing?
> Thanks everyone,
> Brian
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 31, 2004 4:12:01 AM

Previously MagikLair@gmx.net <MagikLair@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
> had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
> files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've done
> several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I go
> file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
> different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am experiencing?
> Thanks everyone,
> Brian

Sounds like a software problem. The drive is not aware of files and
folders, it just sees raw secrots with 512 bytes each.

One possibility would be that it has severe writing problems and the
data you loose is still in its write-cache when you power-off. Depends
on the OS and WD's implementation of the flush-buffer commend, I guess.
And it would mean that you should notice it being painfully slow
from time to time during normal operation.

Maybe try disabling the write-cache of the disk.

Arno
a b G Storage
January 4, 2005 5:48:44 PM

Irwin wrote:
> Size and size on drive are almost always different, and that is
normal.
> Any pattern to what is disappearing?
>
> IMF
>
> MagikLair@gmx.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and
> > had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be
deleting
> > files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've
> done
> > several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I
> go
> > file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
> > different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am
> experiencing?
> > Thanks everyone,
> > Brian
Just some folders were deleted. And not on the same day.
Brian
January 5, 2005 1:57:03 AM

MagikLair@gmx.net wrote:
> Irwin wrote:
>
>>Size and size on drive are almost always different, and that is
>
> normal.
>
>>Any pattern to what is disappearing?
>>
>>IMF
>>
>>MagikLair@gmx.net wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and

>>>had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be
>
> deleting
>
>>>files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've
>>
>>done
>>
>>>several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I
>>
>>go
>>
>>>file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
>>>different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am
>>
>>experiencing?
>>
>>>Thanks everyone,
>>>Brian
>
> Just some folders were deleted. And not on the same day.
> Brian

Disk drives don't do that kind of thing on their own. You've probably
got a virus, despite what the scans say. Or perhaps the cleaning lady
is playing tricks on you. Or another machine is fiddling with yours
over the network.