WD 120 deletes files and more...

Hello,
I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've done
several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I go
file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am experiencing?
Thanks everyone,
Brian
6 answers Last reply
More about deletes files more

    "MagikLair@gmx.net" wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
    > had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
    > files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've done
    > several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I go
    > file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
    > different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am experiencing?
    > Thanks everyone,
    > Brian

    The WDxxxxBB drives seem to be rancid with problems. (JB - so far - are
    OK by me.)

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > "MagikLair@gmx.net" wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
    >>had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
    >>files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've done
    >>several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I go
    >>file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
    >>different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am experiencing?
    >>Thanks everyone,
    >>Brian
    >

    > The WDxxxxBB drives seem to be rancid with problems. (JB - so far - are
    > OK by me.)
    >
    > Odie

    FWIW, I've got a couple of AB drives that seem fine.

    Size and size on drive are almost always different, and that is normal.
    Any pattern to what is disappearing?

    IMF

    Previously MagikLair@gmx.net <MagikLair@gmx.net> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and I
    > had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be deleting
    > files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've done
    > several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I go
    > file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
    > different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am experiencing?
    > Thanks everyone,
    > Brian

    Sounds like a software problem. The drive is not aware of files and
    folders, it just sees raw secrots with 512 bytes each.

    One possibility would be that it has severe writing problems and the
    data you loose is still in its write-cache when you power-off. Depends
    on the OS and WD's implementation of the flush-buffer commend, I guess.
    And it would mean that you should notice it being painfully slow
    from time to time during normal operation.

    Maybe try disabling the write-cache of the disk.

    Arno

    Irwin wrote:
    > Size and size on drive are almost always different, and that is
    normal.
    > Any pattern to what is disappearing?
    >
    > IMF
    >
    > MagikLair@gmx.net wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and
    > > had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be
    deleting
    > > files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've
    > done
    > > several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I
    > go
    > > file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
    > > different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am
    > experiencing?
    > > Thanks everyone,
    > > Brian
    Just some folders were deleted. And not on the same day.
    Brian

    MagikLair@gmx.net wrote:
    > Irwin wrote:
    >
    >>Size and size on drive are almost always different, and that is
    >
    > normal.
    >
    >>Any pattern to what is disappearing?
    >>
    >>IMF
    >>
    >>MagikLair@gmx.net wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>I am on my second WD120GB hard drive. The first one went dead and

    >>>had them send me out a new one. Now my new one seems to be
    >
    > deleting
    >
    >>>files, files and folders are disappearing, on a daily basis. I've
    >>
    >>done
    >>
    >>>several virus and Trojan scans and have found nothing. Also when I
    >>
    >>go
    >>
    >>>file properties on a folder, the size and the size on the drive are
    >>>different. Has anyone had similar problems to what I am
    >>
    >>experiencing?
    >>
    >>>Thanks everyone,
    >>>Brian
    >
    > Just some folders were deleted. And not on the same day.
    > Brian

    Disk drives don't do that kind of thing on their own. You've probably
    got a virus, despite what the scans say. Or perhaps the cleaning lady
    is playing tricks on you. Or another machine is fiddling with yours
    over the network.

Western Digital Storage