Help laying out new IDE devices.

Hey all,

Have much hardware these days and I don't know what the best solution
is. What I have below is:

- 40 gig 7200 rpm HD that runs the OS and also has some data i might
burn from
- 200 gig 7200 rpm HD that stores a bunch of my data (might burn data
from this drive)
- 52x CD-RW
- 16x DVD RW

I am trying to figure out how to place and assign (master/slave) these
items on the two buses I have on my mobo.

I also have a pci 66 promise controller card that I can plug in.
What is the best setup possible? Any possible bottlenecks?

Should I just spring and get a 133 promise controller? Is it worth it?
Thanks so much for your help!

Take care,
Aaron

I just had an issue posted in this group regarding the inability to see
my 2 extra hard drives when booting off a CD for restore purposes.They
were both on the same IDE for the ATA\133 controller while the OS was
on a different IDE. If you will never have a need to boot ff a CD to
find them then it should not be a concern. I see them fine in Windows
and every application that I use.
Please see post entitled "Ghost 9, cannot find secondary drive".

"dropandhop" <aaronsiegel@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Have much hardware these days and I don't know what the best solution
> is. What I have below is:
>
> - 40 gig 7200 rpm HD that runs the OS and also has some data i might
> burn from
> - 200 gig 7200 rpm HD that stores a bunch of my data (might burn data
> from this drive)
> - 52x CD-RW
> - 16x DVD RW
>
> I am trying to figure out how to place and assign (master/slave) these
> items on the two buses I have on my mobo.
>
> I also have a pci 66 promise controller card that I can plug in.
> What is the best setup possible? Any possible bottlenecks?
>
> Should I just spring and get a 133 promise controller? Is it worth it?
> Thanks so much for your help!
>
> Take care,
> Aaron

My cents worth, since I recently has a similar setup issue

Aaron, you don't say what sort of motherboard controller you have, but
assuming it'll do ATA100 at least, then I'd make the 200G the new
boot/system drive since it'll almost certainly be quicker than the 40G.

That involves a reinstall, (getting a new hdd is a good excuse for updating
an OS). Then put the 40G drive on a separate controller (secondary master,
say). Putting the swap file on its own partition on it, then, does offer a
bit of a win if your system swaps even moderately.

I had a dvd rw and a dvd reader, I think if the burner and or reader are on
a separate controller than the disk you're writing to / reading from it'd
help; perhaps put the burner on the promise controller then.

Robert