Help laying out new IDE devices.

Hey all,

Have much hardware these days and I don't know what the best solution
is. What I have below is:

- 40 gig 7200 rpm HD that runs the OS and also has some data i might
burn from
- 200 gig 7200 rpm HD that stores a bunch of my data (might burn data
from this drive)
- 52x CD-RW
- 16x DVD RW

I am trying to figure out how to place and assign (master/slave) these
items on the two buses I have on my mobo.

I also have a pci 66 promise controller card that I can plug in.
What is the best setup possible? Any possible bottlenecks?

Should I just spring and get a 133 promise controller? Is it worth it?
Thanks so much for your help!

Take care,
Aaron
2 answers Last reply
More about help laying devices

    I just had an issue posted in this group regarding the inability to see
    my 2 extra hard drives when booting off a CD for restore purposes.They
    were both on the same IDE for the ATA\133 controller while the OS was
    on a different IDE. If you will never have a need to boot ff a CD to
    find them then it should not be a concern. I see them fine in Windows
    and every application that I use.
    Please see post entitled "Ghost 9, cannot find secondary drive".

    "dropandhop" <aaronsiegel@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Have much hardware these days and I don't know what the best solution
    > is. What I have below is:
    >
    > - 40 gig 7200 rpm HD that runs the OS and also has some data i might
    > burn from
    > - 200 gig 7200 rpm HD that stores a bunch of my data (might burn data
    > from this drive)
    > - 52x CD-RW
    > - 16x DVD RW
    >
    > I am trying to figure out how to place and assign (master/slave) these
    > items on the two buses I have on my mobo.
    >
    > I also have a pci 66 promise controller card that I can plug in.
    > What is the best setup possible? Any possible bottlenecks?
    >
    > Should I just spring and get a 133 promise controller? Is it worth it?
    > Thanks so much for your help!
    >
    > Take care,
    > Aaron

    My cents worth, since I recently has a similar setup issue

    Aaron, you don't say what sort of motherboard controller you have, but
    assuming it'll do ATA100 at least, then I'd make the 200G the new
    boot/system drive since it'll almost certainly be quicker than the 40G.

    That involves a reinstall, (getting a new hdd is a good excuse for updating
    an OS). Then put the 40G drive on a separate controller (secondary master,
    say). Putting the swap file on its own partition on it, then, does offer a
    bit of a win if your system swaps even moderately.

    I had a dvd rw and a dvd reader, I think if the burner and or reader are on
    a separate controller than the disk you're writing to / reading from it'd
    help; perhaps put the burner on the promise controller then.

    Robert

Hardware Storage