Invisible Second Hard drive any advise?

Hi,

I recently added a large second hard drive. (DiamondMax +9 200GB,
6Y200P0)
It is recognized by the bios,
but is not seen in XP.
XP's Disk Management only see's the main C:/ (Disk 0 Drive).
The invisible second drive is on the same cable as the master and have
tried the jumpers as both cable select and then master/slave.
I can remove the cable from my 2 CD/DVD drives and then hook it up my
new hard drive. This works.
I tried deleting my main hard drive and rebooting.
I tried a new cable.
But as long as I have the new drive hooked up to the same cable with
the primary drive, it remains invisible.
Any advice?

--------------------
My PC
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07043&product=71007&dlc=en&lang=en

Primary HD 80 Gig. ST380020A Ultra ATA/100
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st380020a.html

Secondary HD, DiamondMax +9 200GB, 6Y200P0 ATA/133
http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1227

----------------------
My actual config.
Primary HD 80 Gig. ST380020A (pin on first pair is master, || pin
jumper on second pair cable select)

Secondary HD, (The New Drive) DiamondMax +9 200GB, 6Y200P0 (pin left
off is slave, || pin jumper on second pair cable select)

primary IDE channel. ATA/ATAPI (driver 5.1.2600.1106)
MB Asustek P4B266LA

Thanks,
crzzy1
5 answers Last reply
More about invisible hard drive advise

    Are you using the new cable that came with the new drive?

    Irwin wrote:
    > Are you using the new cable that came with the new drive?

    Yes, I am using the new cable that came with the new drive, and I have
    tried the old one.

    Joep wrote:
    > is it present in device manager?

    No, It is not.

> [...]

    > Any advice?
    >
    > --------------------
    > My PC

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07043&pro
    duct=71007&dlc=en&lang=en

    > Primary HD 80 Gig. ST380020A Ultra ATA/100
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st380020a.html
    >
    > Secondary HD, DiamondMax +9 200GB, 6Y200P0 ATA/133

    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqi
    d=1227

    > ----------------------
    > My actual config.
    > Primary HD 80 Gig. ST380020A (pin on first pair is master, || pin
    > jumper on second pair cable select)
    >
    > Secondary HD, (The New Drive) DiamondMax +9 200GB, 6Y200P0 (pin left
    > off is slave, || pin jumper on second pair cable select)
    >
    > primary IDE channel. ATA/ATAPI (driver 5.1.2600.1106)

    No Fix Found,

    I finally put the drive into my Dell PC in the office.
    Same config and all, except the fact that it worked.
    I am sure the problem would be something simple if only I knew what it
    was. :)

    Thanks,
    to all who replied,
    crzzy1

    cozzmo1@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently added a large second hard drive. (DiamondMax +9 200GB,
    > 6Y200P0)
    > It is recognized by the bios,
    > but is not seen in XP.
    > XP's Disk Management only see's the main C:/ (Disk 0 Drive).
    > The invisible second drive is on the same cable as the master and
    have
    > tried the jumpers as both cable select and then master/slave.
    > I can remove the cable from my 2 CD/DVD drives and then hook it up my
    > new hard drive. This works.
    > I tried deleting my main hard drive and rebooting.
    > I tried a new cable.
    > But as long as I have the new drive hooked up to the same cable with
    > the primary drive, it remains invisible.
    > Any advice?

Hard Drives Cable Storage