Strange Maxtor Drive Install Trouble

Hi. I'm running XP SP1 on a Dell Dimmension 8400. I purchased the PC
with a Seagate 160GB SATA harddrive. That works fine. Recently, I
purchased and installed a second (non boot) drive. That one is a
Maxtor SATA 250GB drive.

Maxtor has software used to format the drive called MaxBlast 3. When I
run that software, I get a message that says that it needs to update my
registry to support a drive bigger than 137GB. I don't understand why
it is saying this, since I already have a drive which works and is
160GB.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken
1 answer Last reply
More about strange maxtor drive install trouble

    Previously Ken <kenandeva@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hi. I'm running XP SP1 on a Dell Dimmension 8400. I purchased the PC
    > with a Seagate 160GB SATA harddrive. That works fine. Recently, I
    > purchased and installed a second (non boot) drive. That one is a
    > Maxtor SATA 250GB drive.

    > Maxtor has software used to format the drive called MaxBlast 3. When I
    > run that software, I get a message that says that it needs to update my
    > registry to support a drive bigger than 137GB. I don't understand why
    > it is saying this, since I already have a drive which works and is
    > 160GB.

    Probably MaxBlast is unaware of SP1 (which, I think, makes XP aware
    of larger disks in general). If so don't use MaxBlast, since
    it is not needed.

    Arno

Maxtor Storage