Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bogus Norton Ghost Partitions: Need to Remove or Combine

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 30, 2004 10:39:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

How can I remove/combine two bogus partitions put on a new "out of the
box" Maxtor HDD by by Norton Ghost 9.0 in error.

After many attempts, I have given up on a HDD restore effort using
Ghost 9 to restore a backup image (generated by Ghost). All I can get
out of repeated restore efforts are constant EA39070A error messages.
In the process, Ghost has mysteriously created two unwanted and
undirected empty partions on this new HDD. The drive has no data as the
restore always fails, but there are those two unwanted partitions.

I want to bail out of the dissapointing Norton Ghost 9 product
completely as I don't trust it at all.

How can I get rid of the two bogus partitions and just get this HDD
back to it's original "out of the box" condition. Please do NOT suggest
using Ghost for this as I have zero confidence in this product
specifically, and in Symantec in general (their support is the worst
that I have ever seen in over ten years of PC experience!).

Are there any Windows XP tools that I can use to get this Maxtor ATA
HDD back to "square one"?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 31, 2004 11:35:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<dennise9@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1104464364.684441.237990@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> How can I remove/combine two bogus partitions put on a new
> "out of the box" Maxtor HDD by by Norton Ghost 9.0 in error.

> After many attempts, I have given up on a HDD restore effort using
> Ghost 9 to restore a backup image (generated by Ghost). All I can get
> out of repeated restore efforts are constant EA39070A error messages.

> In the process, Ghost has mysteriously created two unwanted and
> undirected empty partions on this new HDD. The drive has no data as
> the restore always fails, but there are those two unwanted partitions.

Those are just what ghost uses for its dos boot.
Its normally deleted when a restore is finished,
and is still there because the restore fails.

> I want to bail out of the dissapointing Norton Ghost
> 9 product completely as I don't trust it at all.

> How can I get rid of the two bogus partitions and just
> get this HDD back to it's original "out of the box" condition.

Just delete those partitions.

> Please do NOT suggest using Ghost for this as
> I have zero confidence in this product specifically,
> and in Symantec in general (their support is the worst
> that I have ever seen in over ten years of PC experience!).

> Are there any Windows XP tools that I can use
> to get this Maxtor ATA HDD back to "square one"?

Yep, Disk Management.
!