Live video

Please forgive if this is a very simple question. I want to take a live (and direct) input from a DV camcorder to my PC so that I can then show the output via a data projector. Unfortunately, it must be through the PC and not direct to the data projector as I am being asked to use multiple video inputs. All suggestions welcome.
5 answers Last reply
More about live video

    Are you wanting to feed in several different sources and switch between them
    live? If so then you'll need a mixer to input them in and output that to the
    projector. If only one at a time then a good video editing app such as
    premiere will output at the same time as input if the pc is up too speed.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP
    "Doug I Wright" <Doug I Wright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please forgive if this is a very simple question. I want to take a live
    (and direct) input from a DV camcorder to my PC so that I can then show the
    output via a data projector. Unfortunately, it must be through the PC and
    not direct to the data projector as I am being asked to use multiple video
    inputs. All suggestions welcome.

    Thanks Graham. No only from one source, but I need to be able to cut between other "sources" such as PowerPoint and DV files that will already be loaded on the PC's. Being a simple fellow, I was just planning to ALT-TAB between windows. I do not need to record the live feed, just pass it direct from the firewire input to the screen (and thus to a data projector). Does this change any thoughts.

    "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:

    > Are you wanting to feed in several different sources and switch between them
    > live? If so then you'll need a mixer to input them in and output that to the
    > projector. If only one at a time then a good video editing app such as
    > premiere will output at the same time as input if the pc is up too speed.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP
    > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > "Doug I Wright" <Doug I Wright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Please forgive if this is a very simple question. I want to take a live
    > (and direct) input from a DV camcorder to my PC so that I can then show the
    > output via a data projector. Unfortunately, it must be through the PC and
    > not direct to the data projector as I am being asked to use multiple video
    > inputs. All suggestions welcome.

    Best to have the projector set to the main monitor, as generally only this
    one can show video overlay.
    What apps do you have to use for video? May be easier than me trying to tell
    you what to do with something you don't have/can't get. It'll need to
    preview the video input at full screen, or near enough.
    Graham

    > Thanks Graham. No only from one source, but I need to be able to cut
    > between other "sources" such as PowerPoint and DV files that will already
    > be loaded on the PC's. Being a simple fellow, I was just planning to
    > ALT-TAB between windows. I do not need to record the live feed, just pass
    > it direct from the firewire input to the screen (and thus to a data
    > projector). Does this change any thoughts.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you wanting to feed in several different sources and switch between
    >> them
    >> live? If so then you'll need a mixer to input them in and output that to
    >> the
    >> projector. If only one at a time then a good video editing app such as
    >> premiere will output at the same time as input if the pc is up too speed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham Hughes
    >> MVP
    >> www.simplydv.co.uk
    >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    >> "Doug I Wright" <Doug I Wright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > Please forgive if this is a very simple question. I want to take a
    >> > live
    >> (and direct) input from a DV camcorder to my PC so that I can then show
    >> the
    >> output via a data projector. Unfortunately, it must be through the PC
    >> and
    >> not direct to the data projector as I am being asked to use multiple
    >> video
    >> inputs. All suggestions welcome.

    TY again Graham. I can access pretty much anything Microsoft under an Enterprise Agreement. If there are good apps that allow a trial period, this is possible; otherwise I need to stay in the domain of freeware. Currently, the only app I have any experience in is MS Movie Maker. I feel I can learn pretty rapidly when needed.

    Video signal will be split through an amplified video splitter to the projector and the PC CRT. PC will contain a combination of PowerPoint and previously recorded DV files. This set up will be done at 2 PC's to allow dual screen projection for our High School graduation night. We used the dual screen projection last year and now every man and his dog want a slice of the action!

    All help gratefully recieved

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Best to have the projector set to the main monitor, as generally only this
    > one can show video overlay.
    > What apps do you have to use for video? May be easier than me trying to tell
    > you what to do with something you don't have/can't get. It'll need to
    > preview the video input at full screen, or near enough.
    > Graham
    >
    > "Doug I Wright" <Doug I Wright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Graham. No only from one source, but I need to be able to cut
    > > between other "sources" such as PowerPoint and DV files that will already
    > > be loaded on the PC's. Being a simple fellow, I was just planning to
    > > ALT-TAB between windows. I do not need to record the live feed, just pass
    > > it direct from the firewire input to the screen (and thus to a data
    > > projector). Does this change any thoughts.
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you wanting to feed in several different sources and switch between
    > >> them
    > >> live? If so then you'll need a mixer to input them in and output that to
    > >> the
    > >> projector. If only one at a time then a good video editing app such as
    > >> premiere will output at the same time as input if the pc is up too speed.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Graham Hughes
    > >> MVP
    > >> www.simplydv.co.uk
    > >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    > >> "Doug I Wright" <Doug I Wright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > >> message
    > >> (and direct) input from a DV camcorder to my PC so that I can then show
    > >> the
    > >> output via a data projector. Unfortunately, it must be through the PC
    > >> and
    > >> not direct to the data projector as I am being asked to use multiple
    > >> video
    > >> inputs. All suggestions welcome.

    im trying to watch live webcam video so that when i get married they can
    watch from my computer but it doesnt allow to view any hints????? joe

    "Doug I Wright" wrote:

    > Thanks Graham. No only from one source, but I need to be able to cut between other "sources" such as PowerPoint and DV files that will already be loaded on the PC's. Being a simple fellow, I was just planning to ALT-TAB between windows. I do not need to record the live feed, just pass it direct from the firewire input to the screen (and thus to a data projector). Does this change any thoughts.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media" wrote:
    >
    > > Are you wanting to feed in several different sources and switch between them
    > > live? If so then you'll need a mixer to input them in and output that to the
    > > projector. If only one at a time then a good video editing app such as
    > > premiere will output at the same time as input if the pc is up too speed.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP
    > > www.simplydv.co.uk
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > "Doug I Wright" <Doug I Wright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Please forgive if this is a very simple question. I want to take a live
    > > (and direct) input from a DV camcorder to my PC so that I can then show the
    > > output via a data projector. Unfortunately, it must be through the PC and
    > > not direct to the data projector as I am being asked to use multiple video
    > > inputs. All suggestions welcome.

Video Projector Microsoft Windows XP