ICS not working properly

Good afternoon;
I did a clean install on my laptop after putting in a new Hard drive. Before
I had ICS working between a windos 98 conputer, my desktop, XP Pro and My
laptop, XP Pro. When I set it up again after the install I must have done
something wrong. I now havwe the 98 computer off. For the other two,
I can see both computers in the laptop and in the desktop.
I can access the shared folders from my desktop computer name through my
laptop xp but I can't access the shared folders from my laptop computer
name using my desktop. The group is the same for both. The computer names
are unique and appear in both. I ran the floppy auto configuration disk in
both. I am showing a bridged connection "Internet gateway" in both computers
as well as the Lan connections.
I am running through a D-link D624 wirekess router. M y laptop uses a Belkin
54g wireless USB adapter and the desktop is connected through ethernet.
Any suggestions?
How can I either repir the ICS or completely remove it from both computers
and stsrt again?
2 answers Last reply
More about working properly

    Hi.

    CS is a NAT Software use to Route the Internet signal to the correct
    computer.

    Since you have a Wireless Cable/DSL Router you Do Not Need, and Should Not
    use ICS. Switch it Off.

    The Router will do the Routing. Get rid of the Bridged connection and do
    not use any setup disk. Configure manually (read the Router's manual).

    The content of the following links might further help:

    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

    The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices and
    Brand recommendations. The principles however are still the same.

    http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html

    Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "AuthorizedUser" <pantherfin@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Good afternoon;
    > I did a clean install on my laptop after putting in a new Hard drive.
    Before
    > I had ICS working between a windos 98 conputer, my desktop, XP Pro and My
    > laptop, XP Pro. When I set it up again after the install I must have done
    > something wrong. I now havwe the 98 computer off. For the other two,
    > I can see both computers in the laptop and in the desktop.
    > I can access the shared folders from my desktop computer name through my
    > laptop xp but I can't access the shared folders from my laptop computer
    > name using my desktop. The group is the same for both. The computer names
    > are unique and appear in both. I ran the floppy auto configuration disk in
    > both. I am showing a bridged connection "Internet gateway" in both
    computers
    > as well as the Lan connections.
    > I am running through a D-link D624 wirekess router. M y laptop uses a
    Belkin
    > 54g wireless USB adapter and the desktop is connected through ethernet.
    > Any suggestions?
    > How can I either repir the ICS or completely remove it from both computers

    > and stsrt again?

    Hi Jack;

    What's the easiest way to get rid of the bridge? I tried deleting it but it
    comes back.

    Also, how do I turn ICS off?

    Regards
    Phil

    "Jack" <JackMDS at veriz0n.net> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > CS is a NAT Software use to Route the Internet signal to the correct
    > computer.
    >
    > Since you have a Wireless Cable/DSL Router you Do Not Need, and Should
    Not
    > use ICS. Switch it Off.
    >
    > The Router will do the Routing. Get rid of the Bridged connection and do
    > not use any setup disk. Configure manually (read the Router's manual).
    >
    > The content of the following links might further help:
    >
    > Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    > http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=105
    >
    > Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
    > http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=48
    >
    > The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices and
    > Brand recommendations. The principles however are still the same.
    >
    > http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
    >
    > Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "AuthorizedUser" <pantherfin@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Good afternoon;
    > > I did a clean install on my laptop after putting in a new Hard drive.
    > Before
    > > I had ICS working between a windos 98 conputer, my desktop, XP Pro and
    My
    > > laptop, XP Pro. When I set it up again after the install I must have
    done
    > > something wrong. I now havwe the 98 computer off. For the other two,
    > > I can see both computers in the laptop and in the desktop.
    > > I can access the shared folders from my desktop computer name through my
    > > laptop xp but I can't access the shared folders from my laptop computer
    > > name using my desktop. The group is the same for both. The computer
    names
    > > are unique and appear in both. I ran the floppy auto configuration disk
    in
    > > both. I am showing a bridged connection "Internet gateway" in both
    > computers
    > > as well as the Lan connections.
    > > I am running through a D-link D624 wirekess router. M y laptop uses a
    > Belkin
    > > 54g wireless USB adapter and the desktop is connected through ethernet.
    > > Any suggestions?
    > > How can I either repir the ICS or completely remove it from both
    computers

    > > and stsrt again?

Laptops Desktops Windows XP Wireless Networking