Failure to create backup image by Ghost 2003

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 2, 2005 4:29:18 PM

I tried to create backup image of my computer without success using Ghost
2003 and looking forward to any assistance from experienced members.

Hardware in use:-
1. Toshiba R150 NB
2. USB 1.1 bootable floppy drive
3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0/1.1 to IDE adapter

Software in use:-
1. Standard bootable floppy disk created by Ghost 2003
Options selected: USB support - UHCI driver, assign DOS floppy
driver name and PC DOS

When I boot the disk, it ran smoothly and opened Ghost successfully.
However, when I selected Local->Disk->To Image and select local source
drive. In the Look in, there is only A: Local drive and the CD Writer did
not show up. Can someone advise the possible causes and fixes so I can go
forward.

I note that after I quitted Ghost, I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Del the system
rebooted to the CD Writer if I removed the bootable disk from the floppy
drive. It seems the CD Writer was successfully connected but just did not
appear.

Thanks,

Ray
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 2, 2005 4:29:19 PM

Toshiba R250 NB. NB stands for notebook? So, what are you plugging in
to? A PCMCIA card?

You should get a message during the floppy boot, during USB drivers
launch, saying that the adapter was found, followed by the drive was
found. If you didn't get these, then it isn't seeing your USB port
and/or drive.

IMF
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 3, 2005 10:12:24 AM

Did you get the messages saying the port and drive were recognized as
the drivers booted up?

IMF

Ray wrote:
> Irwin,
>
> Yes, NB stands for notebook computer. I plugged the writer into one
of USB
> ports.
>
> Is there any fix to see the USB writer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray
>
> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com>
> ???????:1104682589.548312.99310@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Toshiba R250 NB. NB stands for notebook? So, what are you plugging
in
> > to? A PCMCIA card?
> >
> > You should get a message during the floppy boot, during USB drivers
> > launch, saying that the adapter was found, followed by the drive
was
> > found. If you didn't get these, then it isn't seeing your USB port
> > and/or drive.
> >
> > IMF

Related resources
January 4, 2005 1:47:35 AM

Irwin,

Yes, NB stands for notebook computer. I plugged the writer into one of USB
ports.

Is there any fix to see the USB writer?

Thanks,

Ray

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com>
???????:1104682589.548312.99310@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Toshiba R250 NB. NB stands for notebook? So, what are you plugging in
> to? A PCMCIA card?
>
> You should get a message during the floppy boot, during USB drivers
> launch, saying that the adapter was found, followed by the drive was
> found. If you didn't get these, then it isn't seeing your USB port
> and/or drive.
>
> IMF

January 4, 2005 4:06:58 AM

Irwin,

No, it just said the driver initialised.....

Ray

"Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Did you get the messages saying the port and drive were recognized as
> the drivers booted up?
>
> IMF
>
> Ray wrote:
>> Irwin,
>>
>> Yes, NB stands for notebook computer. I plugged the writer into one
> of USB
>> ports.
>>
>> Is there any fix to see the USB writer?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com>
>> ???????:1104682589.548312.99310@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> > Toshiba R250 NB. NB stands for notebook? So, what are you plugging
> in
>> > to? A PCMCIA card?
>> >
>> > You should get a message during the floppy boot, during USB drivers
>> > launch, saying that the adapter was found, followed by the drive
> was
>> > found. If you didn't get these, then it isn't seeing your USB port
>> > and/or drive.
>> >
>> > IMF

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 7, 2005 2:51:45 PM

The Ghost USB driver won't work with a USB to IDE adapter.

Here, get a real USB CD-RW or edit the config.sys/autoexec.bat files on
the boot floppy to include the DOS USB to IDE driver, and see if it'll
run after that.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 7, 2005 3:17:18 PM

Let's go back to the beginning. You have a laptop. The USB port is in
mounted in the case, or PCMCIA? Can't be a PCI expansion card, right?
Port is USB 1 or USB2? Drive is USB 1 or USB 2?

Irwin
January 11, 2005 1:18:21 AM

David,

Where to get the DOS USB to IDE driver?

Thanks,

Ray

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
> The Ghost USB driver won't work with a USB to IDE adapter.
>
> Here, get a real USB CD-RW or edit the config.sys/autoexec.bat files on
> the boot floppy to include the DOS USB to IDE driver, and see if it'll run
> after that.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 11, 2005 1:18:22 AM

There is no such driver. Nor do "real" USB CD drives exist.

You need a USB ASPI driver and a bridge board with
atapi support.

There is aspiehci.sys, dated 2002-09. I thought it came with Ghost 8.

!