Failure to create backup image by Ghost 2003

I tried to create backup image of my computer without success using Ghost
2003 and looking forward to any assistance from experienced members.

Hardware in use:-
1. Toshiba R150 NB
2. USB 1.1 bootable floppy drive
3. HP 8100 IDE CD Writer Plus + USB 2.0/1.1 to IDE adapter

Software in use:-
1. Standard bootable floppy disk created by Ghost 2003
Options selected: USB support - UHCI driver, assign DOS floppy
driver name and PC DOS

When I boot the disk, it ran smoothly and opened Ghost successfully.
However, when I selected Local->Disk->To Image and select local source
drive. In the Look in, there is only A: Local drive and the CD Writer did
not show up. Can someone advise the possible causes and fixes so I can go
forward.

I note that after I quitted Ghost, I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Del the system
rebooted to the CD Writer if I removed the bootable disk from the floppy
drive. It seems the CD Writer was successfully connected but just did not
appear.

Thanks,

Ray
8 answers Last reply
More about failure create backup image ghost 2003

    Toshiba R250 NB. NB stands for notebook? So, what are you plugging in
    to? A PCMCIA card?

    You should get a message during the floppy boot, during USB drivers
    launch, saying that the adapter was found, followed by the drive was
    found. If you didn't get these, then it isn't seeing your USB port
    and/or drive.

    IMF

    Did you get the messages saying the port and drive were recognized as
    the drivers booted up?

    IMF

    Ray wrote:
    > Irwin,
    >
    > Yes, NB stands for notebook computer. I plugged the writer into one
    of USB
    > ports.
    >
    > Is there any fix to see the USB writer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray
    >
    > "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com>
    > ???????:1104682589.548312.99310@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > > Toshiba R250 NB. NB stands for notebook? So, what are you plugging
    in
    > > to? A PCMCIA card?
    > >
    > > You should get a message during the floppy boot, during USB drivers
    > > launch, saying that the adapter was found, followed by the drive
    was
    > > found. If you didn't get these, then it isn't seeing your USB port
    > > and/or drive.
    > >
    > > IMF

    Irwin,

    Yes, NB stands for notebook computer. I plugged the writer into one of USB
    ports.

    Is there any fix to see the USB writer?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com>
    ???????:1104682589.548312.99310@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > Toshiba R250 NB. NB stands for notebook? So, what are you plugging in
    > to? A PCMCIA card?
    >
    > You should get a message during the floppy boot, during USB drivers
    > launch, saying that the adapter was found, followed by the drive was
    > found. If you didn't get these, then it isn't seeing your USB port
    > and/or drive.
    >
    > IMF

    Irwin,

    No, it just said the driver initialised.....

    Ray

    "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Did you get the messages saying the port and drive were recognized as
    > the drivers booted up?
    >
    > IMF
    >
    > Ray wrote:
    >> Irwin,
    >>
    >> Yes, NB stands for notebook computer. I plugged the writer into one
    > of USB
    >> ports.
    >>
    >> Is there any fix to see the USB writer?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ray
    >>
    >> "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com>
    >> ???????:1104682589.548312.99310@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    >> > Toshiba R250 NB. NB stands for notebook? So, what are you plugging
    > in
    >> > to? A PCMCIA card?
    >> >
    >> > You should get a message during the floppy boot, during USB drivers
    >> > launch, saying that the adapter was found, followed by the drive
    > was
    >> > found. If you didn't get these, then it isn't seeing your USB port
    >> > and/or drive.
    >> >
    >> > IMF

    The Ghost USB driver won't work with a USB to IDE adapter.

    Here, get a real USB CD-RW or edit the config.sys/autoexec.bat files on
    the boot floppy to include the DOS USB to IDE driver, and see if it'll
    run after that.

    Let's go back to the beginning. You have a laptop. The USB port is in
    mounted in the case, or PCMCIA? Can't be a PCI expansion card, right?
    Port is USB 1 or USB2? Drive is USB 1 or USB 2?

    Irwin

    David,

    Where to get the DOS USB to IDE driver?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    "David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
    > The Ghost USB driver won't work with a USB to IDE adapter.
    >
    > Here, get a real USB CD-RW or edit the config.sys/autoexec.bat files on
    > the boot floppy to include the DOS USB to IDE driver, and see if it'll run
    > after that.

    There is no such driver. Nor do "real" USB CD drives exist.

    You need a USB ASPI driver and a bridge board with
    atapi support.

    There is aspiehci.sys, dated 2002-09. I thought it came with Ghost 8.

    "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    > David,
    >
    > Where to get the DOS USB to IDE driver?
    >
    > "David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
    > > The Ghost USB driver won't work with a USB to IDE adapter.
    > >
    > > Here, get a real USB CD-RW or edit the config.sys/autoexec.bat files on
    > > the boot floppy to include the DOS USB to IDE driver, and see if it'll run
    > > after that.

Floppy Disk Backup Storage