Crashing a lot

I'm trying to use the latest Movie Maker just to string together a series of MJPEG files from my new camera. Sometimes it takes one operation, sometimes it takes 10, but Movie Maker constantly shuts down without an error code or windows error report. I cannot do anything realistically because adding a new video, effect or transition causes the shutdown.
4 answers Last reply
More about crashing

    Normally a codec error. check out www.papajohn.org problem solving
    acceleration and codecs.
    Also, use bitmaps rtather than jpegs which are good in most editing apps.
    Just in case you add music, don't bother with mp3's.
    Graham

    "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to use the latest Movie Maker just to string together a series
    > of MJPEG files from my new camera. Sometimes it takes one operation,
    > sometimes it takes 10, but Movie Maker constantly shuts down without an
    > error code or windows error report. I cannot do anything realistically
    > because adding a new video, effect or transition causes the shutdown.

    "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to use the latest Movie Maker just to string together a series
    of MJPEG files from my new camera. Sometimes it takes one operation,
    sometimes it takes 10, but Movie Maker constantly shuts down without an
    error code or windows error report. I cannot do anything realistically
    because adding a new video, effect or transition causes the shutdown.

    I've been having the same problem with Windows Media Encoder 9 recently.
    Sometimes it works fine - other times it repeatedly crashes as soon as i
    select a file.

    I noticed that the crashes happened when i was running Shareaza
    (file-sharing program).
    Shareaza has a load of plug-ins for media playback so i disabled all these
    plug-ins...

    Hey presto!
    Not a single crash since.

    So i'd suggest looking at other programs that you have running on your pc.
    Look for any that use non-standard codecs etc.
    Try running Movie Maker on it's own with no other programs - does it still
    crash?

    Martin.

    "Jeff" wrote:

    > I'm trying to use the latest Movie Maker just to string together a series of MJPEG files from my new camera. Sometimes it takes one operation, sometimes it takes 10, but Movie Maker constantly shuts down without an error code or windows error report. I cannot do anything realistically because adding a new video, effect or transition causes the shutdown.

    You would do better to post at the MovieMaker group here:

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker

    Bobby

    "Michael Fuxberg" <Michael Fuxberg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:71B6DC37-1E9C-4925-94A1-60F84B20BDCC@microsoft.com...

    > "Jeff" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to use the latest Movie Maker just to string together a series
    >> of MJPEG files from my new camera. Sometimes it takes one operation,
    >> sometimes it takes 10, but Movie Maker constantly shuts down without an
    >> error code or windows error report. I cannot do anything realistically
    >> because adding a new video, effect or transition causes the shutdown.

Video Microsoft Movie Maker Windows XP