2 or 4HD to one USB setup?

Is there such thing as an USB controller that can handle up to 4 hard
drives to one? The reason I'm asking because I have need for more
space but my PC's a bit cramped and getting individual USB enclosure
would be more expensive than a single setup. I have an old AT case
with power supply and I could put 4 hard drives there and add the USB
controller and make it an external hard drive case.

Impmon wrote:

> Is there such thing as an USB controller that can handle up to 4 hard
> drives to one? The reason I'm asking because I have need for more
> space but my PC's a bit cramped and getting individual USB enclosure
> would be more expensive than a single setup. I have an old AT case
> with power supply and I could put 4 hard drives there and add the USB
> controller and make it an external hard drive case.

Why use USB? SATA works fine in that kind of situation. You run 4 cables,
not 1, but so what? You do have the SATA distance limit, which is a lot
less than for USB, but you also get the full performance of the drives,
which is usually not the case with USB attachment.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:22:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Why use USB? SATA works fine in that kind of situation. You run 4 cables,
>not 1, but so what? You do have the SATA distance limit, which is a lot
>less than for USB, but you also get the full performance of the drives,
>which is usually not the case with USB attachment.

Doesn't help since I'd need SATA cards and all 5 PCI slots in my PC
are already filled. At the tyime I do have extra 160GB, 250GB, and
80GB hard drives and unless there's a cheap IDE to SATA adapter and a
cheap PCI expansion chasis, I'd still prefer the USB or firewire to 4
HD setup.

Impmon wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:22:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Why use USB? SATA works fine in that kind of situation. You run 4
>>cables,
>>not 1, but so what? You do have the SATA distance limit, which is a lot
>>less than for USB, but you also get the full performance of the drives,
>>which is usually not the case with USB attachment.
>
> Doesn't help since I'd need SATA cards and all 5 PCI slots in my PC
> are already filled. At the tyime I do have extra 160GB, 250GB, and
> 80GB hard drives and unless there's a cheap IDE to SATA adapter and a
> cheap PCI expansion chasis, I'd still prefer the USB or firewire to 4
> HD setup.

The cheapest way to get a decent Firewire to ATA bridge is in an external
enclosure for about 26 bucks. There is a four drive adapter out for about
100 but the performance should be pretty poor due to its using a less than
excellent bridge chip. There are also Firewire to ATA RAID solutions for
about 375 bucks.

Froogle "Oxford 911 Firewire" and you should get a bunch of hits.

--

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
> Is there such thing as an USB controller that can handle up to 4 hard
> drives to one?

You mean a USB drive enclosure that takes 4 drives...

http://www.stardom.com.tw/main_e.htm

This particular range/model isn't cheap but it looks smart.

Hi. Why are you doing the USB thing? Cheapest thing to do is take your
drives, put them in your case, hook them up to the IDE ports 2 each,
put an operating system on one, and share them out via ethernet. Would
cost almost nothing, and should be fast enough.

Irwin

Yup, I missed the AT part. Still, an ATA controller card can be had for
less than $40, maybe less than $30. I assume the old AT box will have
an operating system which he already knows how to use, and should have
a network card also. Shouldn't need any more RAM, just what is needed
to run the already existing operating system. Therefore, allowing for
the assumptions, it still sounds cheaper and simpler to me anyhow.

IMF

J. Clarke wrote:
> Irwin wrote:
>
> > Hi. Why are you doing the USB thing? Cheapest thing to do is take
your
> > drives, put them in your case, hook them up to the IDE ports 2
each,
> > put an operating system on one, and share them out via ethernet.
Would
> > cost almost nothing, and should be fast enough.
>
> (a) Please quote the post to which you are replying. If that seems
like a
> stupid idea to you then you don't have enough experience with USENET.
>
> (b) He said, and I quote, "my PC's a bit cramped", which I take to
mean that
> he doesn't have any free drive bays, so he wants to use
"an old AT case

--

On 7 Jan 2005 04:47:20 -0800, "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi. Why are you doing the USB thing? Cheapest thing to do is take your
>drives, put them in your case, hook them up to the IDE ports 2 each,
>put an operating system on one, and share them out via ethernet. Would
>cost almost nothing, and should be fast enough.

Hmm... I wonder why I didn't think of that... I do have an old mobo
that is AT, has PCI slots, and has 300MHz CPU. I'd still need an IDE
card as the onboard IDE probably won't work with drives >137GB. It
does have onboard USB so I could unplug keyboard and mouse when it's
up and running.