Cooling 4 HDDs in an Antec Performance 1 P160 Case

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive failures due to
heat. What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to S.M.A.R.T. ?

And if I put 4 250GB SATA drives in an Antec Performance 1 P160 case, should
I provide extra cooling for them? If so, how? My machine runs 24x7.

Thanks,

Fred.
12 answers Last reply
More about cooling hdds antec performance p160 case
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote
    > So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive failures due
    > heat. What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to S.M.A.R.T. ?

    Many smart monitors have the shutdown temperature for HDDs set to 55 C
    as the default....

    --
    Mike
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In article <crgoph$9fj$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre
    <finisterre@gmail.com> writes

    >So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive failures due to
    >heat.

    Not Maxtor are they?

    > What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to S.M.A.R.T. ?

    Check the maker's specs for the maximum operating temperature for your
    particular model. It's in the region of 50-60 deg C for most drives,
    though I suggest that ideally you don't allow them to get more than hand
    warm (about 45C max.)

    >And if I put 4 250GB SATA drives in an Antec Performance 1 P160 case, should
    >I provide extra cooling for them?

    Absolutely yes, if you're planning to stack them together in the drive
    bay with little or no air gap between them.

    > If so, how?

    Install them in the 5.25" bays in drive cooler trays instead of the 3.5"
    bays.

    --
    ..sigmonster on vacation
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Not Maxtor are they?

    I *have* had a lot of problems with Maxtors. Why do you say that?

    Think I'm gonna get Seagate this time.

    Cheers,

    Fred.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    If you do not have a front case fan. Get a 120mm for the front.

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive failures due
    > heat. What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to S.M.A.R.T. ?
    >
    > And if I put 4 250GB SATA drives in an Antec Performance 1 P160 case,
    should
    > I provide extra cooling for them? If so, how? My machine runs 24x7.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Mike Tomlinson wrote:

    > In article <crgoph$9fj$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre
    > <finisterre@gmail.com> writes
    >
    >>So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive failures due
    >>to heat.
    >
    > Not Maxtor are they?
    >
    >> What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to S.M.A.R.T. ?
    >
    > Check the maker's specs for the maximum operating temperature for your
    > particular model. It's in the region of 50-60 deg C for most drives,
    > though I suggest that ideally you don't allow them to get more than hand
    > warm (about 45C max.)
    >
    >>And if I put 4 250GB SATA drives in an Antec Performance 1 P160 case,
    >>should I provide extra cooling for them?
    >
    > Absolutely yes, if you're planning to stack them together in the drive
    > bay with little or no air gap between them.
    >
    >> If so, how?
    >
    > Install them in the 5.25" bays in drive cooler trays instead of the 3.5"
    > bays.

    Take a look at that case before you recommend that. There's a bracket for a
    120mm fan pointed directly at the disk cage, with huge vent holes in front
    of it. Seems to me that just sticking mongo fan in the bracket would do
    the job just fine and the big slow fan would probably last a lot longer and
    be quieter than all the busy little fans in the drive cooler trays, not to
    mention moving more air over the drives with the huge vent holes.

    Between that and the 120mm fan in back and the power supply besides, one
    thing that case does not appear to lack is airflow.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    >> Not Maxtor are they?
    >>

    > I *have* had a lot of problems with Maxtors. Why do you say that?
    >
    > Think I'm gonna get Seagate this time.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

    I am pleased with my Samsungs.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In article <crgoph$9fj$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre says...

    >So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive failures due to
    >heat. What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to S.M.A.R.T. ?
    >
    >And if I put 4 250GB SATA drives in an Antec Performance 1 P160 case, should
    >I provide extra cooling for them? If so, how? My machine runs 24x7.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Fred.

    Fred, I don't know about running 4 Sata drives in that case but I have a
    SuperLanboy, which is designed very similar, with 2 IDE 120's and a Sata 160.
    They are mounted in the drive cage with a 120 fan blowing directly on them and
    they stay cool to the touch, even when encoding large dvd video files with the
    cpu running strong for long periods of time.

    I would think that you could expect the same results, even with 4.

    Of all the various cases I have used, this design seems to be one of the best
    for hard drive cooling as well as overall temperature control.

    Ed
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net> wrote in message news:NSRCd.3655$GG1.981@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk
    > "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote
    > > So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive failures due
    > > heat. What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to S.M.A.R.T. ?
    >
    > Many smart monitors have the shutdown temperature for HDDs set to 55 C
    > as the default....

    Utter nonsense.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive failures due
    > heat. What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to S.M.A.R.T. ?
    >
    > And if I put 4 250GB SATA drives in an Antec Performance 1 P160 case,
    > should
    > I provide extra cooling for them? If so, how? My machine runs 24x7.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

    There's a 120mm fan slot in front of the 3.5" drive bays, why dont you use
    it?

    Tony
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In article <crgsrr$1sh$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre
    <finisterre@gmail.com> writes
    >> Not Maxtor are they?
    >>

    >I *have* had a lot of problems with Maxtors. Why do you say that?

    I have had personal experience of a very high failure rate of Maxtors at
    work, and anecdotal evidence from usenet suggests that I am not the only
    one.

    All drive makers will produce turkeys from time to time, so there's no
    point in saying "always buy brand X." The best choice *currently* seems
    to be Seagate, and their 5 year warranty gives more confidence. I have
    two Seagates - an 80gb Barra IV PATA and a 160gb Barra 7200.7 SATA.

    John Clarke's comments about the 120mm fan for the drive bays in the
    case you've chosen are useful (I didn't look up the case to see its
    features), though you should still monitor the drives' SMART
    temperatures and consider moving, say, two into other bays if they do
    run hot if installed as a stack.

    The good thing about them being SATA drives is that the cabling in
    point-to-point so your choice of drive placement is not restricted by
    needing to put two on the same cable.

    If heat is a concern, and you plan to run the drives in RAID, consider
    buying 5400rpm drives instead of 7200rpm. The slower rotational speed
    will mean they'll run cooler, and RAIDing them will compensate for the
    slightly lower performance. If the machine is a network server, the
    bottleneck is more likely to be your NIC than your drives.

    --
    ..sigmonster on vacation
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:
    > "Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net> wrote in message
    >> "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote
    >>> So I'm beginning to think that I'm having so many hard drive
    >>> failures due to
    >>> heat. What's the hottest a drive should ever get according to
    >>> S.M.A.R.T. ?
    >>
    >> Many smart monitors have the shutdown temperature for HDDs
    >> set to 55 C as the default....
    >
    > Utter nonsense.

    Care to give a useful reply, or just trolling today folkert?
    I guess you've now latched on to me, like you have to Arno. Ho hum.

    Anyway, the smart monitor program listed below had a system shutdown
    set to 55 for HDDs
    http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/hdd-temperature.html
    so did a few others I tried...

    HDD spec sheets (I`ll let you look them up folkert) show max operating
    temps of 55 - 60, its not hard to kep them to 40ish with minimal airflow

    --
    Mike
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Mike Tomlinson" <mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote in message news:MWPQhsCIsQ3BFwGA@jasper.org.uk
    > In article <crgsrr$1sh$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre <finisterre@gmail.com> writes
    > > > Not Maxtor are they?
    > > >
    > > I *have* had a lot of problems with Maxtors. Why do you say that?
    >
    > I have had personal experience of a very high failure rate of Maxtors at
    > work, and anecdotal evidence from usenet suggests that I am not the only
    > one.
    >
    > All drive makers will produce turkeys from time to time, so there's no
    > point in saying "always buy brand X." The best choice *currently* seems
    > to be Seagate, and their 5 year warranty gives more confidence. I have
    > two Seagates - an 80gb Barra IV PATA and a 160gb Barra 7200.7 SATA.
    >
    > John Clarke's comments about the 120mm fan for the drive bays in the
    > case you've chosen are useful (I didn't look up the case to see its
    > features), though you should still monitor the drives' SMART
    > temperatures and consider moving, say, two into other bays
    > if they do run hot if installed as a stack.
    >
    > The good thing about them being SATA drives is that the cabling in
    > point-to-point so your choice of drive placement is not restricted by
    > needing to put two on the same cable.
    >
    > If heat is a concern, and you plan to run the drives in RAID, consider
    > buying 5400rpm drives instead of 7200rpm. The slower rotational
    > speed will mean they'll run cooler,

    > and RAIDing them will compensate for the slightly lower performance.

    Nonsense, no form of (striped) RAID will compensate for the bigger
    latency of a 5400RPM drive vs that of a 7200RPM drive.

    And whether a 5400 rpm drive will run cooler than a 7200 rpm drive
    also depends on the number of platters used in the drive, quality of
    bearings, spindle motor efficiency and maybe acoustic management.

    > If the machine is a network server, the
    > bottleneck is more likely to be your NIC than your drives.

Hardware Performance Homebuilt Storage