Burning DVD in NTSC or PAL formats

July 26, 2004 11:45:03 PM

I am purchasing a digital miniDV camcorder and plan to use MovieMaker and SonicMyDVD to edit and burn the video to DVD. My computer has a DVD+RW drive. My camcorder is PAL format because I am in the UK. I would like to burn DVD's in both PAL and NTSC formats. I would like to burn DVD's in the NTSC format so that the videos may be viewed on televisions in the USA. Can you tell me what software will enable me to do this?
July 27, 2004 6:55:37 PM

Do a Google search for PAL to NTSC converters.

"Gwyn" <Gwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am purchasing a digital miniDV camcorder and plan to use MovieMaker and
SonicMyDVD to edit and burn the video to DVD. My computer has a DVD+RW
drive. My camcorder is PAL format because I am in the UK. I would like to
burn DVD's in both PAL and NTSC formats. I would like to burn DVD's in the
NTSC format so that the videos may be viewed on televisions in the USA. Can
you tell me what software will enable me to do this?
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 11:49:19 AM

Hello there.

I haven't seen a good conversion between two formats. If your clients in US
have multisystem DVD player then you don't have to worry about conversion:
film in PAL and burn your DVD in PAL too. If you want to produce NTSC DVD
then start with using NTSC camera. There is no way around it. Many programs,
such as Adobe Premiere allow conversion between two formats, but as I said I
was never satisfied with the results. I also haven't heard about burning a
DVD that has same movie in both formats, so NTSC and PAL DVD players could
play it.

The above is related to DVD that is intended to be played by a set-top DVD
player.
I guess you have wider options if you just want to burn movie on a data DVD
as a regular file. In the later case you can use something like
http://www.divx.com/divx/ or Microsoft to encode your movie file.
Consequently your US clients will have to use a computer to watch your
movie.

Alternatively you can just host your video on the Internet with one of the
video hosting companies, such as ours. This will provide immediate on-demand
delivery of your video to anywhere without shipping delays and region
restrictions. Quality will depend on the connection speed, of course.

--
Regards, Aharon.

VIDEO: http://www.videoclassified.com/pres1/
E-Mail: advertiser@videoclassified.com
Phone: 416-418-5127
WEB: http://www.videoclassified.com/

"Gwyn" <Gwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am purchasing a digital miniDV camcorder and plan to use MovieMaker and
SonicMyDVD to edit and burn the video to DVD. My computer has a DVD+RW
drive. My camcorder is PAL format because I am in the UK. I would like to
burn DVD's in both PAL and NTSC formats. I would like to burn DVD's in the
NTSC format so that the videos may be viewed on televisions in the USA. Can
you tell me what software will enable me to do this?
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 10:43:26 PM

canopus procoder does a great job, but then at £300, plus needing a good pc
you'll have to make a lot of ntsc dvd's to make it worthwhile.
Graham

!