$MFT - structure

Dear all,

I'm trying to find out the exact layout of an MFT record.

I understand the record structure:

| Standard information | Name | Data | Empty |

However, I would like to know what every single byte in the record does.....
Any would be much appreciated??

Cheers,

Ben

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:47:11 -0000, "bensmyth" <noreply@test.com>
wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I'm trying to find out the exact layout of an MFT record.
>
>I understand the record structure:
>
>| Standard information | Name | Data | Empty |
>

>However, I would like to know what every single byte in the record does.....
>Any would be much appreciated??
>

>Cheers,
>
>Ben

My guess will be that understanding that information would be 100
times harder than finding it.
--
Svend Olaf

"Svend Olaf Mikkelsen" <svolaf@partitionsupport.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:47:11 -0000, "bensmyth" <noreply@test.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Dear all,
>>
>>I'm trying to find out the exact layout of an MFT record.
>>
>>I understand the record structure:
>>
>>| Standard information | Name | Data | Empty |
>>

>>However, I would like to know what every single byte in the record
>>does.....
>>Any would be much appreciated??
>>

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Ben
>
> My guess will be that understanding that information would be 100
> times harder than finding it.
> --
> Svend Olaf

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ntfs/index.html a good place to start.
JPS

> > My guess will be that understanding that information would be 100
> > times harder than finding it.

Finding it has been damned hard!

> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ntfs/index.html a good place to start.

Cheers, I've already come across the link.... Very good! But complex to
understand! Although I think I've just about got my head around it.... (at
least the basics!)

JPS - do you have any similar links??

Regards,

Ben

In article <crmbq6$dp4$1@soapbox.cs.bham.ac.uk>,
bensmyth <noreply@test.com> wrote:
>> > My guess will be that understanding that information would be 100
>> > times harder than finding it.
>
>Finding it has been damned hard!
>

>> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ntfs/index.html a good place to start.
>
>Cheers, I've already come across the link.... Very good! But complex to
>understand! Although I think I've just about got my head around it.... (at
>least the basics!)
>
>JPS - do you have any similar links??
>

>Regards,
>
>Ben

A few years ago (circa NT4.0) O'Rielly published a book about NTFS,
ISTR. It's a little dated but might have the basics.

www.ora.com

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.