How does Media Player 9.0 choose its default DVD/mpg4 codec?

Somehow I installed a trial DVD/mpg4 codec on my system. Not sure how since I already had DVD player software on my PC. However Media Player 9 defaults to it and the trial has expired. This creates a scroolling message in Media Player at the bottom of the screen "This codec has expired". It also creates a wierd dancing square that bounces annoyingly all over the screen.

I want to use the codec from the installed DVD player software "PowerDVD" which I know works fine with Media Player.

I can't find an unistall feature for the trial codec, Elecard, and can't find where to tell Media Player to use a differenct codec.

Anyone have a clue?
2 answers Last reply
More about media player choose default mpg4 codec

    It's MPEG2, but that does not matter.

    The Elecard decoder should have installed a folder in the start menu,
    allowing you to register and unregistered the decoders. If you do not see
    it, the easy thing to do is reinstall the Elecard software, and then
    uninstall it.

    --
    NOTE: Replies are to help benefit others
    in helping you and reproducing issues, not
    "kevink" <kevink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Somehow I installed a trial DVD/mpg4 codec on my system. Not sure how
    since I already had DVD player software on my PC. However Media Player 9
    defaults to it and the trial has expired. This creates a scroolling message
    in Media Player at the bottom of the screen "This codec has expired". It
    also creates a wierd dancing square that bounces annoyingly all over the
    screen.

    > I want to use the codec from the installed DVD player software "PowerDVD"
    which I know works fine with Media Player.

    > I can't find an unistall feature for the trial codec, Elecard, and can't
    find where to tell Media Player to use a differenct codec.

    > Anyone have a clue?

    Thanks Chris, I should of thought of this myself. The maker of the Elecard codec had a simple 'cleaner' utility at their site that clearing the codec from my system.

    Thanks!

Video Codec Media Player Windows XP