Can I Clone My Boot Drive To My New WD SATA?

I just bought a Western Digital SATA drive. I asked two different
clerks if I would be able to make an exact clone of my existing main
drive. Both assured me I could. I have now opened the package and
the installation instructions talk about creating partitions in
preparation for copying the old drive to the new drive. For it to
cloned the drive it the resulting drive would have the same partitions
as are on the source (old) drive. It also has this phrase, "This
utility enables you to copy files from one drive to another." Files?
I don't want to copy individual files. I want to clone an entire
drive bit-for-bit.

In my case I have 4 bootable partitions using Partition Magic's Boot
Magic boot manager -- one XP partition, and 3 Win98 partitions.
There's a fifth partition on the drive visible to all. I want to
clone this drive. Doesn't Western Digital's setup software (called
Data Lifeguard I think) make a exact copy (clone) of your previous
drive when you install a new main drive? If not, I must abandon this
change, and return the drive.

Ken
4 answers Last reply
More about clone boot drive sata

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 07:44:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Go to the Western Digital site, click "support", then in the "search the
    >knowledgebase" box at the lower right plug in "1151" (without the quotation
    >marks).

    I spoke to a tech support person this morning and she said you have to
    do it one partition at a time and she doesn't know if it will work
    with bootable partitions.

    Ken

    Ken Hall wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 07:44:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>Go to the Western Digital site, click "support", then in the "search the
    >>knowledgebase" box at the lower right plug in "1151" (without the
    >>quotation marks).
    >
    > I spoke to a tech support person this morning and she said you have to
    > do it one partition at a time and she doesn't know if it will work
    > with bootable partitions.

    Try the procedure--first-tier techs don't always know what they're talking
    about.

    Also, Partition Magic is supposed to have a disk copy utility included,
    which is probably the lightweight version of Drive Image.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    You can only clone Windows XP boot partitions to a drive with the same
    geometry!

    Dave

    Nonsense. Perhaps if you use Gnu dd.

    "Dave L" <davelext@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You can only clone Windows XP boot partitions to a drive with the same
    > geometry!
    >
    > Dave

Western Digital SATA Storage