How do I read SMART Attributes..

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 8, 2005 11:56:43 PM

How do I read SMART Attributes..

Yes I am very very confused when they make statements that Smaller means that
its going to fail

Can some one explain what the 3 readings mean & the RAW one,...

Not all articles that I have found name the 3 attributes the same..

Thanks

More about : read smart attributes

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 8, 2005 11:56:44 PM

Previously puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

> How do I read SMART Attributes..

Use the free and very good smartmontools:

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

> Yes I am very very confused when they make statements that Smaller
> means that its going to fail

Which is comletely wrong, of course, unlss you are talking about
raw, uninterpreted values. But nobody can read these direcly
anyway.

> Can some one explain what the 3 readings mean & the RAW one,...

Which ones? Maybe post the compete output from 'smartctl -a /dev/hda'
(assuming it is the first disk) here?

> Not all articles that I have found name the 3 attributes the same..
> Thanks

Arno