Question about usb 2.0 / firewire combo hubs

Do all the usb 2.0 / firewire combo hubs require a usb cable going between
the hub and the computer? If so, does this reduce the throughput speed of
the firewire ports in all cases? As I recall, firewire was faster than usb
2.0 for certain disk transfers (either large files or lots of small files).
Would a firewire cable/link never be faster when used with one of these
combo hubs?

Mark Huebner
Raleigh, NC
www.IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com
2 answers Last reply
More about question firewire combo hubs

    I asked an Apple representative at CompUSA today and he said firewire and
    usb can't be mixed. He said the combo hubs require both a firewire and usb
    cable going to the computer in order for both the firewire and usb ports to
    be active on the hub.

    Previously Mark Huebner <news1@intelligentsoftwaresystems.com> wrote:
    > I asked an Apple representative at CompUSA today and he said firewire and
    > usb can't be mixed. He said the combo hubs require both a firewire and usb
    > cable going to the computer in order for both the firewire and usb ports to
    > be active on the hub.

    That may be, but the reason is likely that these are actually just two
    entirely unconnected devices in one box. Or are these bridges? In that
    case the statement would be nonsense.

    Arno

    > "Mark Huebner" <news1@IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com> wrote in message
    >> Do all the usb 2.0 / firewire combo hubs require a usb cable going between
    >> the hub and the computer? If so, does this reduce the throughput speed of
    >> the firewire ports in all cases? As I recall, firewire was faster than
    > usb
    >> 2.0 for certain disk transfers (either large files or lots of small
    > files).
    >> Would a firewire cable/link never be faster when used with one of these
    >> combo hubs?
    >>
    >> Mark Huebner
    >> Raleigh, NC
    >> www.IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com