Question about usb 2.0 / firewire combo hubs

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 8, 2005 5:34:58 PM

Do all the usb 2.0 / firewire combo hubs require a usb cable going between
the hub and the computer? If so, does this reduce the throughput speed of
the firewire ports in all cases? As I recall, firewire was faster than usb
2.0 for certain disk transfers (either large files or lots of small files).
Would a firewire cable/link never be faster when used with one of these
combo hubs?

Mark Huebner
Raleigh, NC
www.IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 9, 2005 12:45:48 AM

I asked an Apple representative at CompUSA today and he said firewire and
usb can't be mixed. He said the combo hubs require both a firewire and usb
cable going to the computer in order for both the firewire and usb ports to
be active on the hub.

"Mark Huebner" <news1@IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com> wrote in message
> Do all the usb 2.0 / firewire combo hubs require a usb cable going between
> the hub and the computer? If so, does this reduce the throughput speed of
> the firewire ports in all cases? As I recall, firewire was faster than
usb
> 2.0 for certain disk transfers (either large files or lots of small
files).
> Would a firewire cable/link never be faster when used with one of these
> combo hubs?
>
> Mark Huebner
> Raleigh, NC
> www.IntelligentSoftwareSystems.com

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 12, 2005 2:23:44 PM

Previously Mark Huebner <news1@intelligentsoftwaresystems.com> wrote:
> I asked an Apple representative at CompUSA today and he said firewire and
> usb can't be mixed. He said the combo hubs require both a firewire and usb
> cable going to the computer in order for both the firewire and usb ports to
> be active on the hub.

That may be, but the reason is likely that these are actually just two
entirely unconnected devices in one box. Or are these bridges? In that
case the statement would be nonsense.

Arno