using a projector as a second monitor

I am using Windows Xp on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 8100. At Church I hook up an Hp projector to the VGA port and have no problems using powerpoint with this configuration. My question is: How do I project DVDs and other programs. I once got a DVD to display using Windows Media Player 9 but went through so many tries that I don't remember how and have since been unable to do so. I am new to this type of use for my laptop and would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks
Phil
1 answer Last reply
More about using projector monitor

    Generally for overlay you need to set the projector to be the main display,
    not the pc screen. Use the display properties to get here.
    Graham

    "Baldeagle" <Baldeagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Windows Xp on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 8100. At Church I hook
    >up an Hp projector to the VGA port and have no problems using powerpoint
    >with this configuration. My question is: How do I project DVDs and other
    >programs. I once got a DVD to display using Windows Media Player 9 but went
    >through so many tries that I don't remember how and have since been unable
    >to do so. I am new to this type of use for my laptop and would appreciate
    >any help I can get.
    > Thanks
    > Phil

Video Projector Windows XP