Your question
Closed

User group client failed the logon

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2010 3:11:08 AM

I just built myself a new computer, and it turned out that the dual ram channel on the motherboard was faulty. I ordered a new motherboard and RMA'd the faulty board. When I installed the new motherboard, I received an error when trying to login to my old account:

User group client failed the logon. Access denied.

I am then returned to the login screen. Rebooting in safe mode didn't caused the system to hang a few times, but eventually brought me to the login screen, and I was able to get to the desktop and create a new user profile, and deleted the password from my old profile. Rebooted again and now I have access to the new admin account, but still get the error when trying to access my old profile. I did some research and people suggested changing the registry value GUID to GUID1 in the Windows NT/Profile List for the bad profile, but there is no "GUID" value under that profile.

Windows restore doesn't find any restore points which is strange, because I made several in the week before I installed the replacement board as I messed around with settings and configured the machine.

Now, I have full access to my machine through the new profile and everything is working perfectly, but I'd really like to be able to get my old login working again. There's a lot of files scattered around, games with saves tied to that profile, the odd install that I let install without checking "all users" on, etc. I -could- potentially migrate all that *** onto the new profile, but it would take time, time that I'd rather spend either with my son, or being conquered by the Aztecs in Civ 5.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2010 3:40:24 PM

I had a feeling this was one of those bizarre issues that noone has seen before...
I should mention that the two motherboards were identical.
Score
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2010 4:04:01 PM

Also forgot to say that I'm using Windows 7.
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2010 1:11:19 PM

Anyone?
Score
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 22, 2010 1:27:11 AM

I will literally send you $10 through paypal if you know how to resolve this...
Score
a c 1260 V Motherboard
a c 412 $ Windows 7
July 26, 2011 2:28:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!