Can't change UDMA mode on Deskstar

Its a 60Gb Deskstar - IC35L060AVVA07-0

When I got this drive I used Feature Tool to set it to Mode 2. Now I want to
put it back to mode5/default. Using version Feature Tool v1.94 I can
apparantly change it - it tells me I've been successful, but then when I
boot up again it is back to Mode 2.

The same thing happens if I change it to mode 3, mode 4 or mode 1 - ie it
says it has been changed, but as soon as I reboot it is back to mode 2.

Its a noisy drive that I hate but I'm using it as a boot drive at the moment
and its annoying not being able to speed it up a bit. I'd be grateful for
any light on this matter.

"William the Wombat" <will@y.wombat.con> wrote in message
> Its a 60Gb Deskstar - IC35L060AVVA07-0
>
> When I got this drive I used Feature Tool to set it to Mode 2. Now I want
> to put it back to mode5/default. Using version Feature Tool v1.94 I can
> apparantly change it - it tells me I've been successful, but then when I
> boot up again it is back to Mode 2.
>
> The same thing happens if I change it to mode 3, mode 4 or mode 1 - ie it
> says it has been changed, but as soon as I reboot it is back to mode 2.
>
> Its a noisy drive that I hate but I'm using it as a boot drive at the
> moment and its annoying not being able to speed it up a bit. I'd be
> grateful for any light on this matter.

I should have added:
I am using the correct IDE cable to connect it.
It is jumpered to be master (default jumper position) but I've also tried
cable select.
I have tried it with nothing else on the same IDE channel with the same
results.

"William the Wombat" <will@y.wombat.con> wrote in message
> Its a 60Gb Deskstar - IC35L060AVVA07-0
>
> When I got this drive I used Feature Tool to set it to Mode 2. Now I want
> to put it back to mode5/default. Using version Feature Tool v1.94 I can
> apparantly change it - it tells me I've been successful, but then when I
> boot up again it is back to Mode 2.
>
> The same thing happens if I change it to mode 3, mode 4 or mode 1 - ie it
> says it has been changed, but as soon as I reboot it is back to mode 2.
>
> Its a noisy drive that I hate but I'm using it as a boot drive at the
> moment and its annoying not being able to speed it up a bit. I'd be
> grateful for any light on this matter.

I should have added:
I am using the correct IDE cable to connect it.
It is jumpered to be master (default jumper position) but I've also tried
cable select.
I have tried it with nothing else on the same IDE channel with the same
results.

"William the Wombat" <will@y.wombat.con> wrote in message
> Its a 60Gb Deskstar - IC35L060AVVA07-0
>
> When I got this drive I used Feature Tool to set it to Mode 2. Now I want
> to put it back to mode5/default. Using version Feature Tool v1.94 I can
> apparantly change it - it tells me I've been successful, but then when I
> boot up again it is back to Mode 2.
>
> The same thing happens if I change it to mode 3, mode 4 or mode 1 - ie it
> says it has been changed, but as soon as I reboot it is back to mode 2.
>
> Its a noisy drive that I hate but I'm using it as a boot drive at the
> moment and its annoying not being able to speed it up a bit. I'd be
> grateful for any light on this matter.

Gee .. I'm surprised. Over the holidays I bought a DeskStar. First buy away
from WD and Maxtor. The kit included nothing but the wrong cable and a
drive. The cable was *not* a 40Pin/80conductor so it was useless on the
ATA100 drive.
No install disk, no jumper instructions, no brackets.
I got it installed and set up the DMA and it runs.

jps

In article <34due2F497iilU3@individual.net>, William the Wombat
<will@y.wombat.con> writes

>When I got this drive I used Feature Tool to set it to Mode 2. Now I want to
>put it back to mode5/default. Using version Feature Tool v1.94 I can
>apparantly change it - it tells me I've been successful, but then when I
>boot up again it is back to Mode 2.

1. Are you using an 80-wire IDE cable?

2. Is your BIOS configured to set the IDE mode automatically? (You
might have configured it to Mode 2 and forgotten about it.)

--
..sigmonster on vacation

"Mike Tomlinson" <mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote in message
> In article <34due2F497iilU3@individual.net>, William the Wombat
> <will@y.wombat.con> writes
>
>>When I got this drive I used Feature Tool to set it to Mode 2. Now I want
>>put it back to mode5/default. Using version Feature Tool v1.94 I can
>>apparantly change it - it tells me I've been successful, but then when I
>>boot up again it is back to Mode 2.
>
> 1. Are you using an 80-wire IDE cable?

Yes it is. And I've tried another cable.

> 2. Is your BIOS configured to set the IDE mode automatically? (You
> might have configured it to Mode 2 and forgotten about it.)

Yes, its set to Auto. I also tried changing it.

If you're using Windows2000 or XP:

run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001

if your disk is on primary IDE channel, or the same, ending with \0002 for
the secondary channel.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum and
MasterDeviceTimingMode* or SlaveDeviceTimingMode*. Reboot. The drive DMA
capabilities will be redetected.

"William the Wombat" <will@y.wombat.con> wrote in message
> Its a 60Gb Deskstar - IC35L060AVVA07-0
>
> When I got this drive I used Feature Tool to set it to Mode 2. Now I want
> to put it back to mode5/default. Using version Feature Tool v1.94 I can
> apparantly change it - it tells me I've been successful, but then when I
> boot up again it is back to Mode 2.
>
> The same thing happens if I change it to mode 3, mode 4 or mode 1 - ie it
> says it has been changed, but as soon as I reboot it is back to mode 2.
>
> Its a noisy drive that I hate but I'm using it as a boot drive at the
> moment and its annoying not being able to speed it up a bit. I'd be
> grateful for any light on this matter.

Are you saying that Windows will re-program the drive to UDMA mode 2?

"Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:43XEd.4552$Ii4.4464@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net
> If you're using Windows2000 or XP:
>
> run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
>
> if your disk is on primary IDE channel, or the same, ending with \0002 for
> the secondary channel.
>
> Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum and
> MasterDeviceTimingMode* or SlaveDeviceTimingMode*. Reboot.
> The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.
>

> "William the Wombat" <will@y.wombat.con> wrote in message news:34due2F497iilU3@individual.net...
> > Its a 60Gb Deskstar - IC35L060AVVA07-0
> >
> > When I got this drive I used Feature Tool to set it to Mode 2. Now I want
> > to put it back to mode5/default. Using version Feature Tool v1.94 I can
> > apparantly change it - it tells me I've been successful, but then when I
> > boot up again it is back to Mode 2.
> >
> > The same thing happens if I change it to mode 3, mode 4 or mode 1 - ie it
> > says it has been changed, but as soon as I reboot it is back to mode 2.
> >
> > Its a noisy drive that I hate but I'm using it as a boot drive at the
> > moment and its annoying not being able to speed it up a bit. I'd be
> > grateful for any light on this matter.

"Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> If you're using Windows2000 or XP:
>
> run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11C
> E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
>
> if your disk is on primary IDE channel, or the same, ending with \0002 for
> the secondary channel.
>
> Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum and
> MasterDeviceTimingMode* or SlaveDeviceTimingMode*. Reboot. The drive DMA
> capabilities will be redetected.

Yes. Running XP, so . . .

I tried the above, changed the mode to 5 with the IBM Feature Tool,
rebooted, then ran Feature Tool again and mode was once again back to 2.

I then changed the mode to 5 again, switched off then swapped the drive to
IDE 2 as slave and ran Feature Tool. This time the mode had stayed at 5.
Incidentally Feature Tool is now saying that the drive does not support
accoustic management but that doesn't matter as I don't use it anyway. So
I've got what I wanted. Thanks for your suggestion which led me to think of
trying the above.

Perhaps I could have got the same result by going into the bios on reboot
and asking it to redect the HD. Presumably, the mode 2 setting was being
stored there - surely the registry info is irrelevant as the mode was going
back to 2 before I'd booted up into Windows??

"William the Wombat" <will@y.wombat.con> wrote in message news:34k9ouF4cufo4U1@individual.net
> "Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:43XEd.4552$Ii4.4464@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > If you're using Windows2000 or XP:
> >
> > run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11C
> > E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
> >
> > if your disk is on primary IDE channel, or the same, ending with \0002 for
> > the secondary channel.
> >
> > Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum and
> > MasterDeviceTimingMode* or SlaveDeviceTimingMode*. Reboot. The drive DMA
> > capabilities will be redetected.
>
> Yes. Running XP, so . . .
>
> I tried the above, changed the mode to 5 with the IBM Feature Tool,
> rebooted, then ran Feature Tool again and mode was once again back to 2.
>
> I then changed the mode to 5 again, switched off

Or in other words, you did a cold reset.

> then swapped the drive to IDE 2 as slave and ran Feature Tool.
> This time the mode had stayed at 5.

Try the same but without the swap.

> Incidentally Feature Tool is now saying that the drive does not support
> accoustic management but that doesn't matter as I don't use it anyway. So
> I've got what I wanted. Thanks for your suggestion which led me to think of
> trying the above.
>
> Perhaps I could have got the same result by going into the bios on reboot
> and asking it to redect the HD.

Or it just needed a cold reset to read the saved setting.

> Presumably, the mode 2 setting was being stored there -

Bios usually doesn't hard program a drive. But then there *are*
bioses that do very strange and very unexpected things.

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "William the Wombat" <will@y.wombat.con> wrote in message
>> "Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> > If you're using Windows2000 or XP:
>> >
>> > run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:
>> >
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11C
>> > E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
>> >
>> > if your disk is on primary IDE channel, or the same, ending with \0002
>> > for
>> > the secondary channel.
>> >
>> > Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum and
>> > MasterDeviceTimingMode* or SlaveDeviceTimingMode*. Reboot. The drive
>> > DMA
>> > capabilities will be redetected.
>>
>> Yes. Running XP, so . . .
>>
>> I tried the above, changed the mode to 5 with the IBM Feature Tool,
>> rebooted, then ran Feature Tool again and mode was once again back to 2.
>>
>> I then changed the mode to 5 again, switched off
>
> Or in other words, you did a cold reset.

I don't think you read the OP. A "cold reset" (if you mean switching off and
on again) is part of the instructions which I followed many times and which
failed.

>> then swapped the drive to IDE 2 as slave and ran Feature Tool.
>> This time the mode had stayed at 5.
>
> Try the same but without the swap.

see above - I did that many times.

>> Incidentally Feature Tool is now saying that the drive does not support
>> accoustic management but that doesn't matter as I don't use it anyway. So
>> I've got what I wanted. Thanks for your suggestion which led me to think
>> of
>> trying the above.
>>
>> Perhaps I could have got the same result by going into the bios on reboot
>> and asking it to redect the HD.
>
> Or it just needed a cold reset to read the saved setting.

are you deaf???

>> Presumably, the mode 2 setting was being stored there -
>
> Bios usually doesn't hard program a drive. But then there *are*
> bioses that do very strange and very unexpected things.

Well it has me puzzled, but what other explanation is there?

>> surely the registry info is irrelevant as the mode was going
>> back to 2 before I'd booted up into Windows??

ha! that one has you stumped

"William the Wombat" <will@y.wombat.con> wrote in message news:34mva8F4bqql0U1@individual.net
> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:34m98nF4dkbtqU1@individual.net...

> > > Yes. Running XP, so . . .
> > >
> > > I tried the above, changed the mode to 5 with the IBM Feature Tool,
> > > rebooted, then ran Feature Tool again and mode was once again back to 2.
> > >
> > > I then changed the mode to 5 again, switched off
> >
> > Or in other words, you did a cold reset.
>
> I don't think you read the OP.

Of course I did. Question is, did you? Apparently you remember it diffe-
rently as there is no indication at all in that post of powering down and up.

Nor in the reply to your own post, nor in your third post.

> A "cold reset" (if you mean switching off and on again) is part of
> the instructions which I followed many times and which failed.

So you say now. All you ever said before is that you rebooted.

> > > then swapped the drive to IDE 2 as slave and ran Feature Tool.
> > > This time the mode had stayed at 5.
> >
> > Try the same but without the swap.
>
> see above - I did that many times.

So you repeat now. All you ever said before is that you rebooted.

> > > Incidentally Feature Tool is now saying that the drive does not support
> > > accoustic management but that doesn't matter as I don't use it anyway. So
> > > I've got what I wanted. Thanks for your suggestion which led me to think
> > > of trying the above.
> > >
> > > Perhaps I could have got the same result by going into the bios on reboot
> > > and asking it to redect the HD.
> >
> > Or it just needed a cold reset to read the saved setting.
>
> are you deaf???

Nope, and not blind either, as you appear to be.
Did you fall out of your tree so hard that you don't even remember it?
Probably just plain dumb then.

> > > Presumably, the mode 2 setting was being stored there -
> >
> > Bios usually doesn't hard program a drive. But then there *are*
> > bioses that do very strange and very unexpected things.
>
> Well it has me puzzled, but what other explanation is there?

Probably something else that you also failed to tell us but in
your imaginative wombat world are quite sure of that you did.

> > > surely the registry info is irrelevant as the mode was going
> > > back to 2 before I'd booted up into Windows??
>
> ha! that one has you stumped

Actually it stumped Grigoriev, you stupid wombat.
Can't even tell one person from another.

>> > Or in other words, you did a cold reset.
>>
>> I don't think you read the OP.
>
> Of course I did. Question is, did you? Apparently you remember it diffe-
> rently as there is no indication at all in that post of powering down and
> up.

You are right. I thought I had made it clearer, but perhaps I was assuming
that people in this newsgroup
would be familiar with IBM feature tool and take it for granted that I was
able to follow simple on screen instructions which require less abilty than
posting on Usenet.

In addition I shouldn't have to point out to you that swapping the drive to
another ide channel is more than doing a "cold reboot".

> Nor in the reply to your own post, nor in your third post.
>
>> A "cold reset" (if you mean switching off and on again) is part of
>> the instructions which I followed many times and which failed.
>
> So you say now. All you ever said before is that you rebooted.

IBM Feature Tool software specifically asks for the machine to be powered
down and up again or something like that and warns that the three fingered
salute is not enough. In addition to this I also tried disconnecting the
drive completely in case it was receiving voltage from some capacitor.

This is posted for the benefit of others who may be googling for a solution
to the same problem. I have no intention of getting into an exchange of
insults with a humourless, unhelpful troll.