XPs backup via LAN

Im backing up using the XP provided "Backu"p located in the Accessories
directory.

I have a 2nd computer on a home LAN and have mapped its harddrive to my
primary computer and also set the 2nd comptuer mapped drive to "share" at
the root or "C:" level.

When I back up using the XP utility, it selects all the folders in the
mapped drive, but, for example, it does not include any of the files in the
"programs directory". The Program directory is empty.

What do I need to do for to be able to back up all files with the XP
utility. (I understand I cant get an image over LAN but just want the most
comprehensive backup I can get short of that).

Should I use some other software then is provided with XP? I have Ghost but
it doest to LAN backup.

thanks for any tips
7 answers Last reply
More about backup

    jtsnow wrote:

    > Im backing up using the XP provided "Backu"p located in the Accessories
    > directory.
    >
    > I have a 2nd computer on a home LAN and have mapped its harddrive to my
    > primary computer and also set the 2nd comptuer mapped drive to "share" at
    > the root or "C:" level.
    >
    > When I back up using the XP utility, it selects all the folders in the
    > mapped drive, but, for example, it does not include any of the files in
    > the
    > "programs directory". The Program directory is empty.
    >
    > What do I need to do for to be able to back up all files with the XP
    > utility. (I understand I cant get an image over LAN but just want the most
    > comprehensive backup I can get short of that).
    >
    > Should I use some other software then is provided with XP? I have Ghost
    > but it doest to LAN backup.

    When you say the "Programs directory", do you mean "Program Files" or
    something else? Can you see the contents when you browse the directory
    across the network from "My Computer"?

    And are you backing up the share or backing up the "network neighborhood"
    entry?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    good questions. I wasnt to precise.

    Its the "Program Files" folder.
    When viewing the folder in the mapped drive with Explorer I get a message
    that access is denied.
    When viewing the folder through My Network Neighborhood I get the same
    access is denied.
    Im backing up the Mapped Cdrive using the XP Backup utility.

    Shouldnt setting the C drive to "Share" at the root or C: make the entire
    drive shareable?

    thanks!

    jtsnow wrote:

    > good questions. I wasnt to precise.
    >
    > Its the "Program Files" folder.
    > When viewing the folder in the mapped drive with Explorer I get a message
    > that access is denied.
    > When viewing the folder through My Network Neighborhood I get the same
    > access is denied.
    > Im backing up the Mapped Cdrive using the XP Backup utility.
    >
    > Shouldnt setting the C drive to "Share" at the root or C: make the entire
    > drive shareable?

    No. Windows NT/2K/XP allows security to be set on drives, folders, and
    individual files, with the security settings for a folder able to override
    those for the drive and for a file to override those for the folder.
    Further, those settings can be different for different users, and can also
    be different for network access vs local access even for the same user
    account.

    Sounds like your problem isn't the backup program, it's that the system
    administrator has set the security so that you don't have access to the
    Program Files folder on the other machine. If you're the administrator
    then you need to read up on disk, folder, file, and share permissions--it's
    a complicated topic, much more than I can cover here, and I don't really
    know off a good reference off the top of my head, although going into
    Windows Help and looking for "sharing", "permissions", and "security"
    should give you a start.

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:29:41 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Should I use some other software then is provided with XP? I have Ghost but
    >it doest to LAN backup.

    Ghost does indeed back up to lan. There may be a driver issue or
    something else prohibiting this. Contact Symantec for support to fix
    the configuration or just save the image file to a local
    drive/partition and then transfer it later to the backup server on
    reboot.

    backing up the files in the "Program Files" directory is virtually
    worthless. All you will really be able to restore is a small amount
    of user data in a small number of installed programs. You will still
    have to reinstall all these anyway after a disaster and won't be able
    to "rollback" to easily solve less severe issues.

    Windows backup is very poor indeed esp for backup for purposes of bare
    metal restore/restoration of system state. You want to use Ghost to
    backup the installed OS & applications and if you find ghost clunky
    for your data use windows backup or something else for your user data
    files.

    your right about it backing up to network. I have to figure it out though.
    I tried it and it gives me a window for domain, user and password before it
    goes on. So I guess that has something to do with the .net that was
    installed when I installed Ghost. I'll have to figure out how to set up the
    network and where to enter those passwords and such.

    thanks again

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:55:16 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >your right about it backing up to network. I have to figure it out though.
    >I tried it and it gives me a window for domain, user and password before it
    >goes on. So I guess that has something to do with the .net that was
    >installed when I installed Ghost. I'll have to figure out how to set up the
    >network and where to enter those passwords and such.

    I think it means domain as in windows domain not the .NET platform.

    That is to say it wants to know the domain, user, & passwd info so it
    can log into your windows domain to connect to the other computers &
    resources. (you know like windows server OS & domain controller,
    roaming profiles, policies, & all that good stuff?). On a PTP network
    you could try logging on with your user & pass (try an Administrator
    first) & workgroup name (in the domain field). What? no password set?
    fix that immediately!

    I haven't used any modern versions of Ghost as I now work with other
    tools but I don't see why you would need to be running a windows
    server OS & a windows domain for basic backing up. (IIRC I think
    domains are helpful for Imagecasting, Deploycenter, & other advanced
    features.) Ghost has always been somewhat complicated and had
    advanced network features. There are pricey courses you can take to
    really dig your teeth in to all Ghost can do but what you are asking
    is supposed to be quite basic & frankly I'm not a fan of wholesale
    management via images anyway.

    I don't know what version you are running but check out:

    "How to use a mapped network drive to create and restore images"
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ghost/ghost_2003_info_tutorial.html

    this should steer you in the right direction. Now if you want to get
    really fancy on your network with automation & management it'll take a
    bit more time on your part.

    You might also want to try disabling the "simple file sharing" setting
    in XP and making sure there are the right sharing permission settings
    and file security settings. The same problem that is blocking reading
    the shared "Program Files" directory might also be blocking Ghost from
    accessing the network share & preceding to backup.

LAN Windows XP Storage