ME

I'm wondering if someone can help me out. My 17" monitor died today
and I can't get a new one for a few weeks. I tried using an old 14"
monitor, but the display is not working...it's basically black with
some colored dots and fuzziness. It's not the monitor as I tried
booting windows into safe mode, which worked and gave me a 640 x 480
display. I went into the display settings and it said I could not
change the settings in safe mode. (The computer is set to 800 x 600
when it loads windows normally).

Does anyone know how I can get this crumby old 14" to work for me for
a few weeks?

Thanks so much for any advice :)

in safe mode, try to change the monitor properties, might be u're still
using 17" driver for that new monitor.
Should be no problem

<me@dontmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering if someone can help me out. My 17" monitor died today
> and I can't get a new one for a few weeks. I tried using an old 14"
> monitor, but the display is not working...it's basically black with
> some colored dots and fuzziness. It's not the monitor as I tried
> booting windows into safe mode, which worked and gave me a 640 x 480
> display. I went into the display settings and it said I could not
> change the settings in safe mode. (The computer is set to 800 x 600
> when it loads windows normally).
>
> Does anyone know how I can get this crumby old 14" to work for me for
> a few weeks?
>
> Thanks so much for any advice :)

F8 at Startup..... Select "Use SVGA mode"

It IS the old monitor which can't handle the high resolution you are used
to.
www.coribright.com

<me@dontmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering if someone can help me out. My 17" monitor died today
> and I can't get a new one for a few weeks. I tried using an old 14"
> monitor, but the display is not working...it's basically black with
> some colored dots and fuzziness. It's not the monitor as I tried
> booting windows into safe mode, which worked and gave me a 640 x 480
> display. I went into the display settings and it said I could not
> change the settings in safe mode. (The computer is set to 800 x 600
> when it loads windows normally).
>
> Does anyone know how I can get this crumby old 14" to work for me for
> a few weeks?
>
> Thanks so much for any advice :)

DarkKnight

some old monitors simply don't work with newer graphics cards. i have an
old philips monitor like this, will only work on an old graphics card