Windows XP vs Partition Magic

Does anyone understand the following behavior I have experienced:

Partition Magic 8 says in the manual that it does not support removable
devices. So, when I connect my external USB drive, which of course is
removable, PM 8 running in Windows XP does not see it and will not work
on it. Note that part of the installation instructions with the USB
drive include going into device manager and setting the drive to
removable. Only then is a drive letter assigned.

Setting the drive to removable apparently is mandatory, because when
you uncheck the removable box, XP will no longer assign the drive a
drive letter. Interestingly, only then PM will see the drive, likely
because it is no longer removable, even though it does not give it a
drive letter.

If removable is checked, XP will see it but PM won't.
If removable is cleared, PM will see it but XP won't.
Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior?

Thanks,
Irwin
2 answers Last reply
More about windows partition magic

    "Irwin" <ebct@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Setting the drive to removable apparently is mandatory, because when
    > you uncheck the removable box, XP will no longer assign the drive a
    > drive letter. Interestingly, only then PM will see the drive, likely
    > because it is no longer removable, even though it does not give it a
    > drive letter.

    If removable is cleared, then it should show up in Disk Manager where you
    create volumes.

    In general there is no need to 'setup' a USB device.... just plug-n-play!
    (Ignore the manual, actaully, don't bother reading it - unless you have
    difficulties)

    As for your troubles with PM, I recently partitioned a USB external HDD
    (~40gb) and one of thoose tiny USB thingy'ies (256mb) with NTFS - so I'm not
    too sure as why you should be having difficulties!

Partition Magic Windows XP Storage