capture from Sony DV

Whenever I try to capture a video from my camera Movie Maker only captures about 3.5 minutes of video. There is plenty of disc space left, it says it is still capturing video but there is nothing after about three minutes of video. Please help!

My reply won't be much help to you, just the shared suffering ...
I have this problem as well. Only: Movie Maker did capture two videos from my Sony DCR-H16E, but from the third on that I tried to capture: Movie Maker freezes on the first frame.
I suspect this is not the only bug in the software. Movie Maker also seems to endlessly add "project" names which can never be deleted, so for every attempted capture, you get another (empty) entry in the list of "collections".
I see quite a number of similar questions on this platform. Maybe we should all file requests for patches or updates.

"Dan Mac" wrote:

> Whenever I try to capture a video from my camera Movie Maker only captures about 3.5 minutes of video. There is plenty of disc space left, it says it is still capturing video but there is nothing after about three minutes of video. Please help!

What file system do you have on the hdd.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
"Dan Mac" <Dan Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I try to capture a video from my camera Movie Maker only captures
> about 3.5 minutes of video. There is plenty of disc space left, it says it
> is still capturing video but there is nothing after about three minutes of
> video. Please help!

fat32

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> What file system do you have on the hdd.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
> "Dan Mac" <Dan Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I try to capture a video from my camera Movie Maker only captures
> > about 3.5 minutes of video. There is plenty of disc space left, it says it
> > is still capturing video but there is nothing after about three minutes of
> > video. Please help!

FAT 32 is limited in it's file size, although this sounds low even for that,
which if memory serves right is 4gb, about 15 mins. Maybe you are capturing
to an old type 1 file with is limited to around the 1-2 gb mark???
Which version of MM are you using?
Graham

--

> fat32
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> What file system do you have on the hdd.
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>> "Dan Mac" <Dan Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I try to capture a video from my camera Movie Maker only
>> > captures
>> > about 3.5 minutes of video. There is plenty of disc space left, it says
>> > it
>> > is still capturing video but there is nothing after about three minutes
>> > of
>> > video. Please help!

Version 5.1(Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633:Service Pack 1)
Windows Movie Maker Version 2.0.3312.0

Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1700mhz
1.69GHz
512 MB of RAM

GeForce MX5200 128mb Graphics card

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> FAT 32 is limited in it's file size, although this sounds low even for that,
> which if memory serves right is 4gb, about 15 mins. Maybe you are capturing
> to an old type 1 file with is limited to around the 1-2 gb mark???
> Which version of MM are you using?
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>
> "Dan Mac" <DanMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > fat32
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> What file system do you have on the hdd.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.dvds2treasure.com
> >> www.simplydv.com
> >> "Dan Mac" <Dan Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sorry I've been away.
Have a read of this for file size limitations and see if any of it is of
benefit.
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewtopic.php?t=1165

--
Graham Hughes