Only 3072 MB of memory usable on Win 7 64 bit. HELP

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hi guys.

Today I noticed that my system is only using 3072mb of RAM, I have 4 GB in my system and they used to work pretty nice until now, before all 4 were usable, now Im missing 1. I thought this was because ram remap feature was diabled on the bios (BTW here's my board : Biostar G31 M7 TE). So I enabled it and rebooted my system. Turns out it's still the same... I tried also enabling the memory hole to 15-16 mb (the only setting appart from diables) same results. Can anyone help me please? I think this is decreasing my PC's performance...

edit: what seems to be doing this is the ''pci mmio allocation'' I googled this and didn't found a really explanatory definition... can someone help me with this so it doesn't takes ram from me? =(

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I checked RAM limit and it's setted to 0. I'm using a Radeon 5770. By accident while touching the BIOS I enabled the IGP and then turned it again to dedicated...

BTW:

in the integrated graphics pannel the following settings are avaliable :
PCI/ IGD
PCI/PEG
PEG/IGD
PEG/IGD
PEG/PCI

What one should I select?

I disabled ram remapping feature and RAM is up to 3326 MB...

"PCI MMIO" means "Memory Mapped In/Out" for (some device) on your PCI buss. And, Yes, as opined earlier - Integrated Graphics can/do use system memory.

To see what's what, click your Start Icon, and type 'Resource' in the search box. Run the "Resource Monitor", and click on the 'Memory' tab.

Grey = Hardware reserved (nothing you can do about this, short of changing your hardware - when you changed back to Dedicated, are you sure you disabled the IGP??)

Orange = Modified (the system will have to write this to disc before this group could be free'd - normal to have some)

Blue = Standby (being used for Cache~ing - will be relatively low on start up, but Win 7 will gradually fill this with objects it thinks may become useful. This is normal behavior and has little/no impact on system performance)

Light Blue - Free (not being used at all. Please note is is desirable for Standby {blue} to be filled and the unused group to be small.)

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

The hardware reserved used to be 1 MB and it's now a whole GB... I tried settings my bios to defaullts and nothing happened...

edit: Is there a possibility my Video Card (5770) is using that memory? I recall reading something like RAm being used by the videocard to improve perfomance... How can I limit that to only the onboard 1 GB of GDDR5??? My resolution is tiny si 1GB is overkill (1280 x 720)

Only the aperature for the video card needs to be mapped - not the entire amount of video RAM. That varies depending on the card, but 256MB is a good upper limit.

I'll ask again: Are you *sure* you disabled the onboard graphics, and are you *sure* the 'Max Memory' setting is not checked in msconfig?

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I'm not sure, I'm currently using one of the DVI ports of my VC. but it could be enabled somehow. in the integrated graphics pannel the following settings are avaliable :
PCI/ IGD
PCI/PEG
PEG/IGD
PEG/IGD
PEG/PCI

Which one should I choose? Is there another setting in the BIOS i should normally be aware of in this case?

The max memory setting isnt checked in msconfig

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Guys here's an interesting fact: When i boot only with 1 of my 2 gig modules, my PC show the Full 2 gigs. I tested both modules. When I get in the bios it still shows the "PCI MMIO allocation: 4096 MB to 3072 MB" WTF??? It's like it was written in the bios by default...

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
As i mentioned in the post title and in some replies it is 64 bit. My whole 4 GB used to work before... I tried flashing the BIOS but it is still there, i'm gonna try resseting the CMOS. Any more Ideas?