Question about Partition Magic

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

Hi,

My HD has 3 FAT partitions (around 1GB size each). C: has windows XP
installed while D: & E: are empty so far. Now I want to convert the 3
partitions to NTFS ones then merge them (include C into one to make
more effective use of disk space for applications installation. Can
this be done WITH PM ?

I ask the question because I read some document saying that PM can't
merge non-boot/system partitions with boot/system partitions.

Tks!
22 answers Last reply
More about question partition magic
  1. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    "ComeMon!" wrote in message
    > My HD has 3 FAT partitions (around 1GB size each).
    > C: has windows XP installed while D: & E: are empty so far.
    > Now I want to convert the 3 partitions to NTFS ones
    > then merge them (include C into one...
    > Can this be done WITH PM ?
    >
    > I ask the question because I read some document saying
    > that PM can't merge non-boot/system partitions with
    > boot/system partitions.

    If D: and E: partitions are empty, why keep them? Just
    delete them and enlarge C: with PM. As for converting C:
    from FAT to NTFS, the PM documentation says that it can
    be done by PM under WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP.

    *TimDaniels*
  2. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    If D and E are empty, simply use Partition Magic to delete them, and
    expand C to take up all available space. Then simply use PM to change
    the file system to NTFS. I have used PM to create a new partition by
    taking space from a C partition. Later, I deleted the new partition and
    expanded C partition to use the available space. And I have converted a
    FAT32 C partition to NTFS. All without any problems.

    Good Luck, jimbo
  3. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Can you then remove D and E partitions and expand C partition to take a
    whole disk?
    After that is done, use CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS to make it NTFS.

    "ComeMon!" <come_mon_come_mon@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My HD has 3 FAT partitions (around 1GB size each). C: has windows XP
    > installed while D: & E: are empty so far. Now I want to convert the 3
    > partitions to NTFS ones then merge them (include C into one to make
    > more effective use of disk space for applications installation. Can
    > this be done WITH PM ?
    >
    > I ask the question because I read some document saying that PM can't
    > merge non-boot/system partitions with boot/system partitions.
    >
    > Tks!
  4. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    On 12 Jan 2005 12:01:10 -0800, come_mon_come_mon@yahoo.com.hk
    (ComeMon!) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My HD has 3 FAT partitions (around 1GB size each). C: has windows XP
    >installed while D: & E: are empty so far. Now I want to convert the 3
    >partitions to NTFS ones then merge them (include C into one to make
    >more effective use of disk space for applications installation. Can
    >this be done WITH PM ?
    >
    >I ask the question because I read some document saying that PM can't
    >merge non-boot/system partitions with boot/system partitions.
    >
    >Tks!

    It has nothing to do with "boot" or "system", those are just USES of
    the partition. It does have to do with primary or extended.

    Which partition do you want to keep? I'll assume it's the primary
    partition (probably called C:).

    First, use PM to enlarge C: as much as you can, shrinking the other 2
    and the extended partition.

    Second, move files from the other 2 partitions to C: as long as there
    is enough space. If you run out of room, repeat the resize as
    necessary.

    Then, you can remove all partitions other than the primary partition
    (where all the files are now), then resize the primary partition to
    use the whole disk.

    Yes, this will take awhile.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    I have never had to merge partitions. What you want to do can be done
    with simple operations
    * Add partition
    * Delete partition
    * Resize partition
    *Convert partition to NTFS

    And partition magic can do all those things easily leaving you with
    tears of joy in your eyes.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    ComeMon! wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My HD has 3 FAT partitions (around 1GB size each). C: has windows XP
    > installed while D: & E: are empty so far. Now I want to convert the 3
    > partitions to NTFS ones then merge them (include C into one to make
    > more effective use of disk space for applications installation. Can
    > this be done WITH PM ?
    >
    > I ask the question because I read some document saying that PM can't
    > merge non-boot/system partitions with boot/system partitions.
    >
    > Tks!

    You can run up Knoppix and some of the 200 odd GNU/Linux
    liveCDs (all free to download / open source )
    The liveCDs boot from CDROM without having to install.
    After booting, run QtParted. That can convert the multiple fat
    partitions into single NTFS partition.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    "ComeMon!" <come_mon_come_mon@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My HD has 3 FAT partitions (around 1GB size each). C: has windows XP
    > installed while D: & E: are empty so far. Now I want to convert the 3
    > partitions to NTFS ones then merge them (include C into one to make
    > more effective use of disk space for applications installation. Can
    > this be done WITH PM ?
    >
    > I ask the question because I read some document saying that PM can't
    > merge non-boot/system partitions with boot/system partitions.
    >
    > Tks!

    So, in effect, you want to incorporate empty space to the boot partition.
    Delete the other two partitions, then incorporate that space into the XP
    boot partition.
    Whether you can successfully convert to the CORRECT version of NTFS depends
    on what version of Partition Magic you have. Which, of course, most posters
    never provide, so the question cannot be answered.

    Merging is entirely unneeded in the scenario you presented. So, the merging
    question is moot.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Panos Papadopolous wrote:

    > I wear waterproof panties as a rule, but it still doesn't stop me shitting
    > myself.

    Shame they don't do them for a backward sloping head
    in your size, eh?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Check again Kutloze.

    I did not write the line you quoted and attributed to me!

    "Kutloze Scheefgepoepte" <kut-neoken@vrehentrotshitz.nl.kok> wrote in
    message news:30mib2-0o1.nsi$h1t@usenet.dk...
    > Panos Papadopolous wrote:
    >
    >> I wear waterproof panties as a rule, but it still doesn't stop me
    >> shitting myself.
    >
    > Shame they don't do them for a backward sloping head
    > in your size, eh?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:40:26 -0000, "Kaffir Slim"
    <BOOMBOOM@BOOMBOOM.JAMBO> wrote:

    >Peter wrote:
    >> Can you then remove D and E partitions and expand C partition to take
    >> a whole disk?
    >> After that is done, use CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS to make it NTFS.
    >
    >Top-poasting tosser!!
    Has anyone told you you are a dipshit?
    NOI
  11. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Panos Papadopolous wrote:

    > I'm the subject of derision, but I'm too stupid to know not to crawl back
    > for more.

    You'll learn when it's too late.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    pilon wrote:

    > When I wank my father tells me to hold still.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Kutloze-Pik Scheefgepoepte wrote:

    > pilon wrote:
    >

    >>When I wank my father tells me to hold still.

    To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware of the Danes being as perverted as
    you imply in your post!!!

    Most cultures don't really condone sexual activity between parents and
    offspring!!!
  14. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Dee wrote:

    > Me too
  15. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Dee wrote:

    > Mmm, yummy.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Dee wrote:

    > Just can't get enough.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Onideus Mad Hatter <usenet@backwater-productions.net> wrote:

    > Well, actually I was on PCP and later that day I bought a hand gun.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Onideus Mad Hatter <usenet@backwater-productions.net> wrote:

    > how do people copulate?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Sam Holman wrote:

    > Onideus Mad Hatter <usenet@backwater-productions.net> wrote:
    >

    >>how do people copulate?

    The same way most other mammals copulate!!!
  20. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:41:15 +1100, Sam Holman
    <sam.holman@you.squeaky-speculative-mug.org> wrote:

    >Onideus Mad Hatter <usenet@backwater-productions.net> wrote:
    >
    >> how do people copulate?

    u don't know?
  21. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    Dee wrote:

    > My legs are always akimbo for my pilon. Dee.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-me,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.computer (More info?)

    pilon wrote:

    > And when it's not my father, my mother is shoving bottles up Dee's arse.

Partition Magic Windows XP Storage