XP upgrade now freezes at bootup

I upgraded 3 workstations from Windows 98 to XP-Pro. All
workstations are exactly the same hardware wise.

1 works, no problems at all.

2 workstations, upgraded fine but when booting into
windows before getting to the XP login screen (sort of
still in the DOS area) - Windows will just freeze.

The only fix seems to be to reboot to safe mode, uninstall
the display/video driver, reboot to regular mode where
windows finds new hardware (same uninstalled video driver)
and then works fine until next boot.

Initial Video card: ATI Rage Pro 128, no current drivers
other than those provided by XP.

Did change Video card to see if that was the problem, put
int Radeon 7000 w/latest 2004 drivers and still same
problem.

There is something, after turning on the computer where
you have the Windows logo and a moving bar.... the bar
moves for about 30 seconds and just freezes there until
booting into safe mode, uninstalling video driver, etc.

Can anyone make any suggestions here - at this point it
must be a Windows software conflict or problem.

Thanks !
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade freezes bootup

    Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers?
    www.coribright.com

    "miazelli" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I upgraded 3 workstations from Windows 98 to XP-Pro. All
    > workstations are exactly the same hardware wise.
    >
    > 1 works, no problems at all.
    >
    > 2 workstations, upgraded fine but when booting into
    > windows before getting to the XP login screen (sort of
    > still in the DOS area) - Windows will just freeze.
    >
    > The only fix seems to be to reboot to safe mode, uninstall
    > the display/video driver, reboot to regular mode where
    > windows finds new hardware (same uninstalled video driver)
    > and then works fine until next boot.
    >
    > Initial Video card: ATI Rage Pro 128, no current drivers
    > other than those provided by XP.
    >
    > Did change Video card to see if that was the problem, put
    > int Radeon 7000 w/latest 2004 drivers and still same
    > problem.
    >
    > There is something, after turning on the computer where
    > you have the Windows logo and a moving bar.... the bar
    > moves for about 30 seconds and just freezes there until
    > booting into safe mode, uninstalling video driver, etc.
    >
    > Can anyone make any suggestions here - at this point it
    > must be a Windows software conflict or problem.
    >
    > Thanks !

    I guess not as my next question is/would be where would I
    get these and how would I know which ones ?

    These computers were built by a consulting group 3 years
    ago.

    Hardware)
    >www.coribright.com
    >
    >"miazelli" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >>I upgraded 3 workstations from Windows 98 to XP-Pro. All
    >> workstations are exactly the same hardware wise.
    >>
    >> 1 works, no problems at all.
    >>
    >> 2 workstations, upgraded fine but when booting into
    >> windows before getting to the XP login screen (sort of
    >> still in the DOS area) - Windows will just freeze.
    >>
    >> The only fix seems to be to reboot to safe mode,
    uninstall
    >> the display/video driver, reboot to regular mode where
    >> windows finds new hardware (same uninstalled video
    driver)
    >> and then works fine until next boot.
    >>
    >> Initial Video card: ATI Rage Pro 128, no current drivers
    >> other than those provided by XP.
    >>
    >> Did change Video card to see if that was the problem,
    put
    >> int Radeon 7000 w/latest 2004 drivers and still same
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> There is something, after turning on the computer where
    >> you have the Windows logo and a moving bar.... the bar
    >> moves for about 30 seconds and just freezes there until
    >> booting into safe mode, uninstalling video driver, etc.
    >>
    >> Can anyone make any suggestions here - at this point it
    >> must be a Windows software conflict or problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks !
    >>

    >.

    You'll have to find out which motherboards. Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com)
    or SiSoft Sandra (sorry, don't have the link to hand) can both decipher this
    for you or of course you can open the cases and physically inspect the
    boards.
    www.coribright.com

    >I guess not as my next question is/would be where would I
    > get these and how would I know which ones ?
    >
    > These computers were built by a consulting group 3 years
    > ago.

    Thank you, I just reviewed the
    registry/hardare/description to see the BIOS version on
    the computer that "works" vs. 2 that don't and the BIOS
    version is different.
    Located the Motherboard: AOPEN33, found latest BIOS
    version and downloaded zip, extracted to exe file and now
    when I double click this a quick DOS screen flickers and
    nothing after that (no update). How do I update this
    particular BIOS as the AX33 website does not give any
    guidance with this.

    You cannot do this from within Windows. You must create a bootable floppy
    disk and another floppy with the unzipped AOPEN BIOS file.

    A general FAQ on BIOS
    http://www.phoenix.com/en/customer+services/bios/bios+faq/default1.htm

    --
    Cari