Delayed boot up after replacing old Micron P2 450 Mhz syst..

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 13, 2005 6:41:11 PM

Hello.

I had to replace a dying old HDD in this old Micron Pentium 2 450 Mhz
system (256 MB of RAM) due to write problems (bad sectors). After
restoring everything to the Western Digital Caviar (80 GB --
WD800BB-00FJA0-(PM)), I noticed each boot up takes about two minutes to
complete before Windows splash screen is shown during the loading. This
never happened before I swapped HDD.

I fiddled with the CMOS and was never able to make it fast like on the
old HDD. The computer hangs for about one to two minutes during Phoenix
BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0:

Keyboard ....... Detected
Mouse .......... Detected

<hang for a minute to two minutes>

Fixed Disk 0: WDC WD800BB-00FJA0-(PM)
ATAPI CD-ROM: NEC CD-ROM-(SM):282

Even entering CMOS/Setup takes a long time (1-2 minutes). :(

Any ideas why this is happening? Is the computer too old to handle
bigger HDDs? Did I misconfigure something? I have the CMOS to autodetect
the IDE drives (HDD is on primary IDE master; CD-ROM drive is on
secondary IDE master). The HDD and Windows seem to work just fine after
this long wait. Rebooting/booting up is sure annoying now. [grin]

Please note that I am not a hardware expert. Thanks you in advance. :)
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can endure much leisure." --Gerald Brenan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

More about : delayed boot replacing micron 450 mhz syst

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 14, 2005 3:19:23 AM

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message news:AIadnbIDaYRqd3vcRVn-qw@mminternet.net
> Hello.
>
> I had to replace a dying old HDD in this old Micron Pentium 2 450 Mhz
> system (256 MB of RAM) due to write problems (bad sectors). After
> restoring everything to the Western Digital Caviar (80 GB --
> WD800BB-00FJA0-(PM)), I noticed each boot up takes about two minutes to
> complete before Windows splash screen is shown during the loading. This
> never happened before I swapped HDD.
>
> I fiddled with the CMOS and was never able to make it fast like on the
> old HDD. The computer hangs for about one to two minutes during Phoenix
> BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0:
>
> Keyboard ....... Detected
> Mouse .......... Detected
>
> <hang for a minute to two minutes>

It's probably the WD timing out, waiting for a non existing Slave to
report ready. Check your jumpers.

!