Coolmax CD-509-COMBO enclosure with Lite-On DVD writer...

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 13, 2005 6:56:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

hello folks,

i have a Coolmax CD-509-COMBO (USB2/1.1 & Firewire) enclosure. i have
placed a Lite-On DVD writer inside the enclosure and set it for
"Master" on the jumpers. when i plug the device into my USB port on the
computer it is immediately recognized as a "USB Mass Storage Device",
but it is unuseable to burn DVD/CDs. it should plug-and-play as a
writable optical device, but instead it mounts in Device Manager as a
generic "USB Mass Storage Device" and no ability to burn. I have tried
this on two different computers running WindowsXP ServicePack2 with the
same failure. the Lite-On and Coolmax web sites insist that the
Microsoft default drivers will work just fine for both the enclosure
and DVD writer and they provide no additional drivers. contacting tech
support has yielded no progress.

anybody have any advice on how to get this working? any advice would be
greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 13, 2005 9:39:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Try a hard drive in the enclosure. If the same thing happens, the bridge board
inside is defective. Does the web site have firmware updates?

<putt454@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> i have a Coolmax CD-509-COMBO (USB2/1.1 & Firewire) enclosure. i have
> placed a Lite-On DVD writer inside the enclosure and set it for
> "Master" on the jumpers. when i plug the device into my USB port on the
> computer it is immediately recognized as a "USB Mass Storage Device",
> but it is unuseable to burn DVD/CDs. it should plug-and-play as a
> writable optical device, but instead it mounts in Device Manager as a
> generic "USB Mass Storage Device" and no ability to burn. I have tried
> this on two different computers running WindowsXP ServicePack2 with the
> same failure. the Lite-On and Coolmax web sites insist that the
> Microsoft default drivers will work just fine for both the enclosure
> and DVD writer and they provide no additional drivers. contacting tech
> support has yielded no progress.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 14, 2005 9:26:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I've got the same exact setup and it works just fine on my Win2K/SP3 box. My
only complaint is that the fan in the enclosure is loud.

!