Format new USB hard drive?

I just purchased an ATA Hitachi hard drive and have placed it in a usb
2.0 enclosure. Running Win XP Pro.

It seems to be working and it is recognized as a usb hard drive in
device manager without any red or yellow warnings - all seems fine.

However, it is not recognized with a drive letter in my computer, or in
windows explorer. So, it isn't assigned a drive letter and it isn't
available.

I know I have to format it, but how do I do that when it doesn't come up
with a drive letter?

TIA

Louise
3 answers Last reply
More about format hard drive

    First, read the instructions carefully and see if it was shipped
    formatted. Read further and make sure you do not have to set the drive
    as removable in properties. I did for my drive before it would give me
    a drive letter.

    Then, right click on My computer, click manage, choose disk management,
    right click on the partition, and see if it will let you format it. Be
    sure you don't format the wrong thing.

    Good luck

    In article <1105735345.967353.96900@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    ebct@hotmail.com says...
    > First, read the instructions carefully and see if it was shipped
    > formatted. Read further and make sure you do not have to set the drive
    > as removable in properties. I did for my drive before it would give me
    > a drive letter.
    >
    > Then, right click on My computer, click manage, choose disk management,
    > right click on the partition, and see if it will let you format it. Be
    > sure you don't format the wrong thing.
    >
    > Good luck

    Thanks everyone - that did it. The drive is now formatting and I still
    have my C drive intact :-)

    Louise

    Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > I just purchased an ATA Hitachi hard drive and have
    > placed it in a usb 2.0 enclosure. Running Win XP Pro.

    > It seems to be working and it is recognized as a usb hard drive in
    > device manager without any red or yellow warnings - all seems fine.

    > However, it is not recognized with a drive letter in my computer, or in
    > windows explorer. So, it isn't assigned a drive letter and it isn't
    > available.

    > I know I have to format it, but how do I do that
    > when it doesn't come up with a drive letter?

    You do it in Disk Management.

    Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Admin Tools/Computer Management
    Storage/Disk Management in the left window.
    Select the usb drive, partition and format it.

USB Hard Drives Storage