Copying Home Videos to DVD

Jill

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003

Is it possible to copy my home movies onto DVD by connecting my VCR directly to the PC? If so, what connection cables will I need. Or do I have to re-record them back onto Camcorder Minidisks and then link the Camcorder to the PC via a firewire cable?

Yes it is possible, I am just doing it. Got to Terratec's homepage http://productsen.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=166&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0 where you can get a product called cameo grabster 200. I am sure there are other prodcuts but I made good experience with this one.

Regards
René

"Jill" wrote:

> Is it possible to copy my home movies onto DVD by connecting my VCR directly to the PC? If so, what connection cables will I need. Or do I have to re-record them back onto Camcorder Minidisks and then link the Camcorder to the PC via a firewire cable?

Several applications will do this, although some better than others. To connect your VCR to your PC, you need a capture device and software to do the capture. One of the most affordable capture devices I've found is from Belkin. Their Hi-Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator is available at places like CompUSA or direct from their Web site (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=144533). The device should work with Windows Movie Maker or you could go direct to DVD using it with a program like Sonic MyDVD http://www.mydvd.com
--
Jake Ludington
http://www.jakeludington.com

Author: Easy Digital Home Movies
http://www.jakeludington.com/edhm

"Jill" wrote:

> Is it possible to copy my home movies onto DVD by connecting my VCR directly to the PC? If so, what connection cables will I need. Or do I have to re-record them back onto Camcorder Minidisks and then link the Camcorder to the PC via a firewire cable?

maybe your gonna need the ieee conection

A VCR is an analog device, therefore you'll need an analog capture card or a
graphics card with VIVO (Video in and Video Out) capability and third party
analog capture software.

You 'may' be able to use the digital camcorder as a pass-thru device.

See www.papajohn.org for much more info.
--
Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

> [...]

hammer

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2001

My MSI Ge Force 5200 has a(VIVO) video connector, and I have a cable, but
Movie Maker will not recognize my analog VCR. What software do you recommend?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> A VCR is an analog device, therefore you'll need an analog capture card or a
> graphics card with VIVO (Video in and Video Out) capability and third party
> analog capture software.
>
> You 'may' be able to use the digital camcorder as a pass-thru device.
>
> See www.papajohn.org for much more info.
> --
> Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>

> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The standard WDM Capture Software works just fine for me with my nVidia
FX5700 . The drivers are at the nVidia website and my card came with
Cyberlink's PowerDirector which works fine.
www.coribright.com