Strange problem with ND-3500AG under XP (but not Linux)

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 15, 2005 10:12:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

This is a problem I have never seen before. My OEM NEC ND-3500AG (with
the latest firmware) is installed in a dual-boot computer. When I boot
to Linux (Mandrake), it behaves as expected. But when I boot to my Win
XP Pro system, it does the following things:

No problem recognizing and burning any CDR. It can also READ any DVD
with no problem. When I insert a blank DVD, however(no matter which,
4X, 8X, DVD+R, DVD-R, Ridata, TDK or Memorex), XP or other applications
report the DVD as media with 0 space. So any attempt to burn anything
to it results in a message about space being insufficient and a request
to insert a different disk.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 15, 2005 1:31:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

I scanned and couldn't find any virus. As to dma, it is enabled. In My
Computer/properties/hardware/device manager/IDE ATA/atapi controlers my
ide driver date 7/1/2001, the original xp driver. And under the
properties/driver tab i have the "DMA if available" options selected in
both Primary & Secondary channels.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 15, 2005 8:12:45 PM

On 15 Jan 2005 07:12:36 -0800, blerer@yahoo.com wrote:

>This is a problem I have never seen before. My OEM NEC ND-3500AG (with
>the latest firmware) is installed in a dual-boot computer. When I boot
>to Linux (Mandrake), it behaves as expected. But when I boot to my Win
>XP Pro system, it does the following things:
>
>No problem recognizing and burning any CDR. It can also READ any DVD
>with no problem. When I insert a blank DVD, however(no matter which,
>4X, 8X, DVD+R, DVD-R, Ridata, TDK or Memorex), XP or other applications
>report the DVD as media with 0 space. So any attempt to burn anything
>to it results in a message about space being insufficient and a request
>to insert a different disk.
>
>Any idea what's wrong?

Virus or dma maybe disabled in winxp.
Related resources
January 15, 2005 9:10:32 PM

"bn" <bn@bn.com> wrote in message
> On 15 Jan 2005 07:12:36 -0800, blerer@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>This is a problem I have never seen before. My OEM NEC ND-3500AG (with
>>the latest firmware) is installed in a dual-boot computer. When I boot
>>to Linux (Mandrake), it behaves as expected. But when I boot to my Win
>>XP Pro system, it does the following things:
>>
>>No problem recognizing and burning any CDR. It can also READ any DVD
>>with no problem. When I insert a blank DVD, however(no matter which,
>>4X, 8X, DVD+R, DVD-R, Ridata, TDK or Memorex), XP or other applications
>>report the DVD as media with 0 space. So any attempt to burn anything
>>to it results in a message about space being insufficient and a request
>>to insert a different disk.
>>
>>Any idea what's wrong?
>
> Virus or dma maybe disabled in winxp.

Which burning program are you using with XP-Pro? I use Nero and was trying
to burn a CDR on my NEC 3500 but it just wasn't working due to the fact I
hadn't specified that I wanted to burn onto a CDR instead of a DVD .... I
felt a right numpty!!

BillL
January 17, 2005 4:21:23 AM

"BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> "bn" <bn@bn.com> wrote in message
> > On 15 Jan 2005 07:12:36 -0800, blerer@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> >>This is a problem I have never seen before. My OEM NEC ND-3500AG (with
> >>the latest firmware) is installed in a dual-boot computer. When I boot
> >>to Linux (Mandrake), it behaves as expected. But when I boot to my Win
> >>XP Pro system, it does the following things:
> >>
> >>No problem recognizing and burning any CDR. It can also READ any DVD
> >>with no problem. When I insert a blank DVD, however(no matter which,
> >>4X, 8X, DVD+R, DVD-R, Ridata, TDK or Memorex), XP or other applications
> >>report the DVD as media with 0 space. So any attempt to burn anything
> >>to it results in a message about space being insufficient and a request
> >>to insert a different disk.
> >>
> >>Any idea what's wrong?
> >
> > Virus or dma maybe disabled in winxp.
> >

> Which burning program are you using with XP-Pro? I use Nero and was trying
> to burn a CDR on my NEC 3500 but it just wasn't working due to the fact I
> hadn't specified that I wanted to burn onto a CDR instead of a DVD ..... I
> felt a right numpty!!
>
> BillL

I have NEC-3500AG and it works fine under XT-Pro. It doesn't seem as
reliable as my older SONY DRU-500AX (I think) but acceptable.

I just have NEC-3500AG for around 3 months and get around 2-3% failure. I
still don't know exactly what cause the problem yet, but I got around 10-12
coasters. And with SONY I got around 2 coasters with around 3,000 burns.
!