Strange problem with ND-3500AG under XP (but not Linux)

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

This is a problem I have never seen before. My OEM NEC ND-3500AG (with
the latest firmware) is installed in a dual-boot computer. When I boot
to Linux (Mandrake), it behaves as expected. But when I boot to my Win
XP Pro system, it does the following things:

No problem recognizing and burning any CDR. It can also READ any DVD
with no problem. When I insert a blank DVD, however(no matter which,
4X, 8X, DVD+R, DVD-R, Ridata, TDK or Memorex), XP or other applications
report the DVD as media with 0 space. So any attempt to burn anything
to it results in a message about space being insufficient and a request
to insert a different disk.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about strange problem 3500ag linux
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    I scanned and couldn't find any virus. As to dma, it is enabled. In My
    Computer/properties/hardware/device manager/IDE ATA/atapi controlers my
    ide driver date 7/1/2001, the original xp driver. And under the
    properties/driver tab i have the "DMA if available" options selected in
    both Primary & Secondary channels.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    On 15 Jan 2005 07:12:36 -0800, blerer@yahoo.com wrote:

    >This is a problem I have never seen before. My OEM NEC ND-3500AG (with
    >the latest firmware) is installed in a dual-boot computer. When I boot
    >to Linux (Mandrake), it behaves as expected. But when I boot to my Win
    >XP Pro system, it does the following things:
    >
    >No problem recognizing and burning any CDR. It can also READ any DVD
    >with no problem. When I insert a blank DVD, however(no matter which,
    >4X, 8X, DVD+R, DVD-R, Ridata, TDK or Memorex), XP or other applications
    >report the DVD as media with 0 space. So any attempt to burn anything
    >to it results in a message about space being insufficient and a request
    >to insert a different disk.
    >
    >Any idea what's wrong?

    Virus or dma maybe disabled in winxp.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    "bn" <bn@bn.com> wrote in message
    > On 15 Jan 2005 07:12:36 -0800, blerer@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>This is a problem I have never seen before. My OEM NEC ND-3500AG (with
    >>the latest firmware) is installed in a dual-boot computer. When I boot
    >>to Linux (Mandrake), it behaves as expected. But when I boot to my Win
    >>XP Pro system, it does the following things:
    >>
    >>No problem recognizing and burning any CDR. It can also READ any DVD
    >>with no problem. When I insert a blank DVD, however(no matter which,
    >>4X, 8X, DVD+R, DVD-R, Ridata, TDK or Memorex), XP or other applications
    >>report the DVD as media with 0 space. So any attempt to burn anything
    >>to it results in a message about space being insufficient and a request
    >>to insert a different disk.
    >>
    >>Any idea what's wrong?
    >
    > Virus or dma maybe disabled in winxp.

    Which burning program are you using with XP-Pro? I use Nero and was trying
    to burn a CDR on my NEC 3500 but it just wasn't working due to the fact I
    hadn't specified that I wanted to burn onto a CDR instead of a DVD .... I
    felt a right numpty!!

    BillL
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

    "BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > "bn" <bn@bn.com> wrote in message
    > > On 15 Jan 2005 07:12:36 -0800, blerer@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >
    > >>This is a problem I have never seen before. My OEM NEC ND-3500AG (with
    > >>the latest firmware) is installed in a dual-boot computer. When I boot
    > >>to Linux (Mandrake), it behaves as expected. But when I boot to my Win
    > >>XP Pro system, it does the following things:
    > >>
    > >>No problem recognizing and burning any CDR. It can also READ any DVD
    > >>with no problem. When I insert a blank DVD, however(no matter which,
    > >>4X, 8X, DVD+R, DVD-R, Ridata, TDK or Memorex), XP or other applications
    > >>report the DVD as media with 0 space. So any attempt to burn anything
    > >>to it results in a message about space being insufficient and a request
    > >>to insert a different disk.
    > >>
    > >>Any idea what's wrong?
    > >
    > > Virus or dma maybe disabled in winxp.
    > >

    > Which burning program are you using with XP-Pro? I use Nero and was trying
    > to burn a CDR on my NEC 3500 but it just wasn't working due to the fact I
    > hadn't specified that I wanted to burn onto a CDR instead of a DVD ..... I
    > felt a right numpty!!
    >
    > BillL

    I have NEC-3500AG and it works fine under XT-Pro. It doesn't seem as
    reliable as my older SONY DRU-500AX (I think) but acceptable.

    I just have NEC-3500AG for around 3 months and get around 2-3% failure. I
    still don't know exactly what cause the problem yet, but I got around 10-12
    coasters. And with SONY I got around 2 coasters with around 3,000 burns.

Video Windows XP Storage