.avi won't play even with proper codecs

I can't play most .avi files in either WM9 or divx even though I'm sure I have the latest codecs that should be able to handle them. All I see when I try to play them is diagonal lines in the top of the window. Any thoughts?

You're assuming it's DiVx, though it might not be.

It's nearly ALWAYS a codec issue:

Download and install G-Spot from
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Once you analyze the AVI file, it will tell you with which codec it was
compressed. An uncompressed AVI file is over 12gb per hour, (yes, GB not
mb) so it is highly unlikely you have an uncompressed AVI file. A
compressed AVI file needs to have the correct codec installed on your PC
BEFORE it will play correctly.

The two most common codecs are DiVX and XVid.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Aeolus_25" <Aeolus_25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't play most .avi files in either WM9 or divx even though I'm sure I
>have the latest codecs that should be able to handle them. All I see when
>I try to play them is diagonal lines in the top of the window. Any
>thoughts?

I'm sorry, I should have been more detailed in my original post. On advice from a previous poster, I have alread downloaded and used gspot and for every video I analyze, it reports I have at least one or two valid codecs. Also i've tested directdraw and everything seems ok so I'm lost.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You're assuming it's DiVx, though it might not be.
>
> It's nearly ALWAYS a codec issue:
>
> Download and install G-Spot from
> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
>
> Once you analyze the AVI file, it will tell you with which codec it was
> compressed. An uncompressed AVI file is over 12gb per hour, (yes, GB not
> mb) so it is highly unlikely you have an uncompressed AVI file. A
> compressed AVI file needs to have the correct codec installed on your PC
> BEFORE it will play correctly.
>
> The two most common codecs are DiVX and XVid.
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Aeolus_25" <Aeolus_25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't play most .avi files in either WM9 or divx even though I'm sure I
> >have the latest codecs that should be able to handle them. All I see when
> >I try to play them is diagonal lines in the top of the window. Any
> >thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS