Ghost 9 wont backup LAN drives?

On my home LAN Ghost 9 wont see or backup drives I have mappped to my main
PC form other PCs on the home net. Ghost 2003 does do this.

Am I missing something? Did the capability get dropped in the newer release
from version 2003 to version 9.

Is there a way to backup mappped drives?

thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about ghost wont backup drives

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On my home LAN Ghost 9 wont see or backup drives I have mappped to my main
    > PC form other PCs on the home net. Ghost 2003 does do this.
    >
    > Am I missing something? Did the capability get dropped in the newer
    release
    > from version 2003 to version 9.
    >
    > Is there a way to backup mappped drives?
    >
    > thanks

    Ghost 2003 does backup drives, you have mapped to your main PC from other
    PCs on your home net?
    I wonder how you have achieved that? I have always thought that Ghost 2003
    can backup only local, not mapped drives.

    jtsnow <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > On my home LAN Ghost 9 wont see or backup drives I have mappped to my main PC
    > form other PCs on the home net.

    It should, mine does it fine. You do realise that you have to run
    ghost on the system you are backing up and can use the drive on
    the other side of the lan as the location for the image file dont you ?

    The main difference from ghost 2003 is that you do need
    to logon to the remote PC to be able to use a drive on it.

    And it gets a bit tricky browsing after booting the CD when
    doing a restore, if you dont use the workgroup name
    WORKGROUP. Just tricky tho, you cant browse but you can
    explicitly name the remote drive in the \\server\drive format.

    > Ghost 2003 does do this.

    > Am I missing something?

    Yes, the detail of how you do it has changed a bit.

    > Did the capability get dropped in the newer release from version 2003 to
    > version 9.

    Nope, in fact its been significantly improved,
    no need to manually specify the NIC anymore.

    > Is there a way to backup mappped drives?

    Run ghost on the machine which has that drive in it.

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > jtsnow <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>On my home LAN Ghost 9 wont see or backup drives I have mappped to my main PC
    >>form other PCs on the home net.
    >

    > It should, mine does it fine. You do realise that you have to run
    > ghost on the system you are backing up and can use the drive on
    > the other side of the lan as the location for the image file dont you ?
    >
    > The main difference from ghost 2003 is that you do need
    > to logon to the remote PC to be able to use a drive on it.
    >
    > And it gets a bit tricky browsing after booting the CD when
    > doing a restore, if you dont use the workgroup name
    > WORKGROUP. Just tricky tho, you cant browse but you can
    > explicitly name the remote drive in the \\server\drive format.
    >

    >>Ghost 2003 does do this.
    >

    >>Am I missing something?
    >

    > Yes, the detail of how you do it has changed a bit.
    >

    >>Did the capability get dropped in the newer release from version 2003 to
    >>version 9.
    >

    > Nope, in fact its been significantly improved,
    > no need to manually specify the NIC anymore.
    >

    >>Is there a way to backup mappped drives?
    >

    > Run ghost on the machine which has that drive in it.

    That's no fun if it involves plane fare.

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> jtsnow <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>On my home LAN Ghost 9 wont see or backup drives I have mappped to my main PC
    >>>form other PCs on the home net.
    >>

    >> It should, mine does it fine. You do realise that you have to run
    >> ghost on the system you are backing up and can use the drive on
    >> the other side of the lan as the location for the image file dont you ?
    >>
    >> The main difference from ghost 2003 is that you do need
    >> to logon to the remote PC to be able to use a drive on it.
    >>
    >> And it gets a bit tricky browsing after booting the CD when
    >> doing a restore, if you dont use the workgroup name
    >> WORKGROUP. Just tricky tho, you cant browse but you can
    >> explicitly name the remote drive in the \\server\drive format.
    >>

    >>>Ghost 2003 does do this.
    >>

    >>>Am I missing something?
    >>

    >> Yes, the detail of how you do it has changed a bit.
    >>

    >>>Did the capability get dropped in the newer release from version 2003 to
    >>>version 9.
    >>

    >> Nope, in fact its been significantly improved,
    >> no need to manually specify the NIC anymore.
    >>

    >>>Is there a way to backup mappped drives?
    >>

    >> Run ghost on the machine which has that drive in it.
    > That's no fun if it involves plane fare.

    There's a remote version available and
    there has been for a long time before ghost 9

    "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> writes:

    >On my home LAN Ghost 9 wont see or backup drives I have mappped to my main
    >PC form other PCs on the home net. Ghost 2003 does do this.

    >Am I missing something? Did the capability get dropped in the newer release
    >from version 2003 to version 9.

    >Is there a way to backup mappped drives?

    Probably not via Ghost. Ghost (and its primary competitors) are designed
    to create a backup image of a disk partition. Mapping a drive, on the other
    hand, creates a CIFS connection between two computers over which files and
    folders can be copied, but provides no access to the underlying partition
    or file system information on the distant system.

    If you want to back up files on a mapped drive, you need a file-level
    backup program; in the past, for example, I've used Veritas for this
    purpose. Today if you want to do this, just map the distant partition
    to your computer and burn a CD with the files you want to back up.

    Joe Morris

LAN Backup Storage