Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How Would You Explain an SSD to Your Mother?

Last response: in News comments
November 19, 2011 1:17:03 AM

An SSD has no moving parts and is faster than a magnetic drive. That's all they need to know.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 19, 2011 1:19:28 AM

The Greater GoodAn SSD has no moving parts and is faster than a magnetic drive. That's all they need to know.

But how do they know what a magnetic drive is or does?
Score
Related resources
November 19, 2011 1:21:23 AM

It has a very fast boot sequence. That's all they need to know.
Score
November 19, 2011 1:22:07 AM

ok mom, turn on you computer...now turn on mine.
Score
November 19, 2011 1:23:27 AM

Mom it is a big memory card that makes the computer load up faster
Score
November 19, 2011 1:26:30 AM

I give up. My mother barely know's what a computer is. I wouldn't even TRY to explain what an SSD is!
Score
November 19, 2011 1:34:36 AM

As how I explained it to my mother.

Me: Hey Mom guess what SSD's are awesome wanna see why?
Mom: Sure I guess?
Me: -Throws Western Digital Terabyte on ground and it no longer works.
Mom: WHAT THE HELL!
Me: Throws Kingston SSD on the ground, still works.

:D 
Cool right
Mom: Yes, but why'd you destroy your terabyte!
Me: Pfft, you kidding that was my friend Billys.
Billy: WHAT THE F--- BRO!

Good times.
-True Story-
Score
November 19, 2011 1:36:06 AM

Mom, think of your pet hamster and how cute it is as it runs on its wheel. Then feed it some crystal meth and watch it turn the wheel so quickly, his whole cage shakes and he shrieks with joy at his new found speed. That's an SSD.

I am so not going to win this contest...
Score
November 19, 2011 1:36:32 AM

The least tech savvy people would probably understand:
Know how you have to wait a minute or two after turning a computer on to start doing stuff?
Well, with these, it as well as starting other applications (things) takes mere seconds.

Or are we assuming the person we are explaining it to also has some other handicaps?
Score
November 19, 2011 1:36:36 AM

I wouldn't. I generally operate on the "if you don't know what an SSD is, you probably don't need it" theory. If she asks me why I bought one, I'll just tell her it's new tech and she'll understand why I bought it... :D 
Score
November 19, 2011 1:37:08 AM

A SSD is like a light switch. When you flip the switch, light immediately comes on. A SSD make softwares you use open instantly when you click on it.
That's the best I can think of right now. :) 
Score
November 19, 2011 1:37:17 AM

This was my entry =D

SSD Super Speedy Drive. No more waiting to do the things you want to do on the computer. Allowing more time to do the housework.
Score
November 19, 2011 1:37:30 AM

It's a Really Really big Super Thumb Drive that goes REALLY REALLY FAST and makes every other computer part Happy!
Score
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 19, 2011 1:37:47 AM

My mother is cisco certified architect
Score
November 19, 2011 1:40:02 AM

This is easier than you guys think. Moms are not stupid. Just tell them a hard drive spins like a record player only faster, and is made out of the same material as an 8track tape(close enough for moms). Then tell them a SSD is solid state components like a transistor radio...no moving parts, no wires, no vacuum tubes, no magnets, no nothing.
Score
November 19, 2011 1:45:17 AM

"There's a charged void crystal inside -- No, it won't explode. Oh, it stores data by phase shifting them to another dimension, and yes, it shifts them back when you need them. Sounds cool right?"
Score
November 19, 2011 1:46:47 AM

Pretend you are shopping, you have 100 items to pickup. You have to physically move to each item you wish to pickup. No matter how quick a shopper, picking up 100 items will still take a certain amount of time. The is essentially how a conventional hard drive works. It has to follow a physical path to pick up each piece of data. Now imagine if you had to pickup those same 100 items and instead of having to follow a physical path all you had to do was think of the next item and you were instantly in front of it. This would cut down your shopping time considerably. This is essentially how a solid state drive works. A conventional hard drive has to follow a physical path a solid state drive has direct access to each piece of data thereby increasing data collection and storage immensely.
Score
November 19, 2011 1:51:32 AM

If your oven has a Samsung 830 SSD, baking has gone from minutes down to seconds.
Score
November 19, 2011 1:58:21 AM

It's a really big, really fast thumbdrive.

It's floppy drive.

It's like a hard drive but faster, smaller and way more expensive.

It's what Steve Jobs would have sold you, even if you didn't need one or even if you didn't have a computer.
Score
November 19, 2011 1:59:28 AM

Dear Mom,

Your new Laptop's came with an internal SSD drive also called "solid state drive" which uses a bunch of computer chips which store your data. The old hard drives used spinning disks similar to a record player but are capable of reading and writing. Now the best part about your new SSD drive is it's fast, no more going to get yell at dad while waiting for your PC to turn on! You may also want to know if you throw your laptop at dad (by accident) you won't lose any data or have to log back into Facebook because you had a blue screen, the SSD drives simply have no moving parts to break.

:) 
Score
November 19, 2011 1:59:53 AM

We still need and edit on this site .... It's "" floppy drive.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 19, 2011 2:03:20 AM

The SSD will make Crysis load faster mom!
Score
November 19, 2011 2:08:43 AM

Second Post to make people cry... Mum it can play crysis!

(yes i did kinda copy u Flinstone3390)
Score
November 19, 2011 2:08:47 AM

I don't have one, and I don't want one, so the precept is wrong. Is there an alternative prize?

Having already explain basic computer concepts, it would be comparatively easy to explain to my mother, but if one was to assume someone that knew little about technology, it's always best to keep things very simple, even if it means sacrificing some accuracy.

I'd just say it makes starting things go faster, but does not make much difference with something after it's already started. The downside is it's more expensive for the capacity.

Anything more, you get a glassy, confused look, and they give up understanding any of it, and just figure they'll ask their equally uninformed friend, who'll give an answer she heard from someone else (her cousin's dog trainer, who's a nerd so must know), but somehow is simple enough to make sense (and inaccurate enough to be detrimental to her understanding). So, you don't bring up the failure with write cycles, or power characteristics, or thermal differences, or different types of SSDs, or talk about magnetic media, or ever mention "Winchester" technology, or talk about differences between RAM and "permanent" storage, etc... I learned the hard way, when you tell people more than they want to hear, or get it accurate enough to where you feel comfortable with what you've said, you lost your audience by the second sentence.
Score
November 19, 2011 2:18:28 AM

You see when a hard disk and USB flash drive love each other very, very much...
Score
November 19, 2011 2:19:06 AM

An SSD is a storage drive like your current hard drive, but since it does not have rotating discs in it, it is many many times faster. Just picture the HD as a wheel rolling down the hill, and the solid state drive as a lightning bolt. Allowing your laptop to boot much faster, and get that excel file you are working on to open much quicker, and makes practically everything you do quicker.
Score
November 19, 2011 2:20:27 AM

it's a race car vs. a horse and buggy.
Score
November 19, 2011 2:23:23 AM

A solid state drive is like a thumb drive, but 50 times faster, meaning that it makes your whole computer run faster and u never have to wait on it
Score
November 19, 2011 2:24:41 AM

Being less tech-savvy doesn't mean being dumb... my mom knows what an HDD is and explaining what an SSD is was rather easy. Now I just have to get myself one and show her how awesome it is!
Score
November 19, 2011 2:33:30 AM

Now, when you're making me sandwich, your speed is like a HDD.

But when I gather 50 other mothers from the suburb, give them a whole stack of bread, butter and ham and tell them to make sandwiches, they will make a lot more sandwiches in the same amount of time that it took you to make one. This can be likened to the speed of an SSD.

An SSD is like that, but only it doesn't make sandwiches, and it costs a whole lot more. And that's all you need to know, other than the fact that you will be the one funding my endeavours to buy said SSD.
Score
November 19, 2011 2:33:31 AM

Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out.
Score
November 19, 2011 2:35:17 AM

mrkdilkingtonSpeedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out.

Why the rush, eh?
Score
November 19, 2011 2:51:05 AM

Uh my mom is in IS...
Score
November 19, 2011 2:56:15 AM

OK mom, everything thats on your computer right now, is now in this black box that has no moving parts and way faster than older technology.
Score
November 19, 2011 2:57:21 AM

Usually when I try to explain something to my mother I just give up and say "trust me". Usually works for her. My dad still tries to understand and I usually just give up/stop. I'll have to give this some thought.
Score
November 19, 2011 3:08:20 AM

CAREFUL: it's black and has rounded edges... =P
Score
November 19, 2011 3:09:57 AM

What I said:

Hey mum.. You know how the computer turns on really slowly? This fixes that.
Score
November 19, 2011 3:29:30 AM

It's kind of pathetic that most people here think their mother is almost retarded and they have to make "homemaker" analogies for them to understand. My mother earned two master degrees; more than I have.

Also keep in mind that, for males, slightly over half your DNA came from her. So if she's so stupid, what does that make you?

If you can't explain why an SSD makes a difference, that's probably your own communication skills failing, or her disinterest in something she considers unimportant. A cooking analogy reinforces the probability of the first being likely. The second is mitigated by keeping it quick and simple, again pointing to a failure to communicate by not understanding your audience.
Score
November 19, 2011 3:33:08 AM

I think the analogy id go for would be an order wheel in the kitchen at a diner...cook spins it to grab a ticket/order vs. the monochrome monitor screens at like a fastfood (I personally remember seeing one in a tacobell" with 8 orders displayed at once.
Score
November 19, 2011 4:00:35 AM

Sorry but seriously what a dumb competition, like Samsung cares what your mother thinks , and like your mother cares what an SSD is........... where is your imagination guys?
Score
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 19, 2011 4:21:13 AM

SSD mean you don't have to wait so long for your computer to boot up so you can use your 56k modem to check your AOL mail account.
Score
November 19, 2011 4:39:22 AM

"It is simply as faster, more reliable method of storing data long term. Except it contains no moving parts so its only limit is the speed of electricity. A large improvement over the old mechanical system.

It is replacing the old method, like moving from tapes to CD's"

That was my submission for what it is worth.
Score
November 19, 2011 4:45:32 AM

hugosMy mother is cisco certified architect

Chances are she would probably be able to explain it better to you then vice versa.
Score
November 19, 2011 4:57:31 AM

kyee7kIt has a very fast boot sequence. That's all they need to know.

And after you put the sequins on your boots it makes the mouse click faster? Is that right son?
Score
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 19, 2011 5:03:41 AM

"Hey Mom,
Do you remember dial-up? You had to wait 2 minutes to load a text-based email - now you have broadband and everything loads the second you click? Now imagine: you power-on your desktop and Windows boots before you can find your mouse.. Everything else is even faster.
Score
November 19, 2011 5:10:40 AM

It's just like your Samsung refrigerator... nice and cool.
Score
November 19, 2011 5:17:37 AM

It is better because it is made of solid state chocolate- and chocolate is good for the heart.
Score
November 19, 2011 5:36:27 AM

monstaSorry but seriously what a dumb competition, like Samsung cares what your mother thinks , and like your mother cares what an SSD is........... where is your imagination guys?

1) Samsung DOES care, they want some marketing advice.

2) Yes, my mother WILL care what an SSD is once she'll see one in action. Nobody likes slow boot times!
Score
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 19, 2011 6:14:10 AM

Mom, I need to talk to you about something well..kinda technical, ok? Imagine a hard drive.What's a hard drive? It's that thing in your computer that holds all the computer's information. Yes mom it's the thing with the Gigabytes! Yes, it makes noise sometimes . yeah Mom the noisy old thing that makes you feel like you have an air conditioner, or a fan, or a jet airplane running in your office. Now imagine that this drive is perfectly quiet and has no moving parts, and it's smaller. Got it? That's pretty cool isn't it ohh yeah and its cool too Mom. No not cool cool like temperature cool (well it is cool cool too but...)uses less energy too! Now Mom all you really need to know is the coolest thing about this kind of drive. You know how you have to wait for windows to boot up? Remember yelling at the screen when you were trying to get that report out? Yeah Mom I know that dang windows screen, slow windows , bad windows ,well no more waiting! These drives are fast! No more yelling Mom. Mom stop yelling at your computer NOW! Get an SSD!
Score
!