Hardware Exchange with Image Backup possible?

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • Computer
  • Backup
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 17, 2005 2:47:14 PM

Hello,

I use ghost to image my drive for backup.After some month/years the
Computer broke/was stolen/i want a new computer.
Could i take back this image to an total different computer and after
some tweaking it will work as the former one?Would some safe-boots
after restoring makes Windows 98/ME or 2000 able to catch up with it?

More about : hardware exchange image backup

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 17, 2005 2:47:15 PM

"Sayso Takewashi" <Sayso_Takewashi@yahoo.comm> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I use ghost to image my drive for backup.After some month/years the
> Computer broke/was stolen/i want a new computer.
> Could i take back this image to an total different computer and after
> some tweaking it will work as the former one?Would some safe-boots
> after restoring makes Windows 98/ME or 2000 able to catch up with it?

You seem to be speaking about strictly an operating system partition only.
Based on that, I can provide some personal experience for Win98/ME. After
you have what you wanted installed, remove all the driver components for the
hardware in safe mode. This image can be used in most any computer as its
operating system, you will have to install the hardware drivers for that
particular PC you restore the image to.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 17, 2005 2:47:15 PM

In article <et5nu0l18o43clfmonkrddmolkqs3cic9m@4ax.com>,
Sayso Takewashi <Sayso_Takewashi@yahoo.comm> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I use ghost to image my drive for backup.After some month/years the
>Computer broke/was stolen/i want a new computer.
>Could i take back this image to an total different computer and after
>some tweaking it will work as the former one?Would some safe-boots
>after restoring makes Windows 98/ME or 2000 able to catch up with it?

I can't speak for Ghost. I use Acronis TI, and I could buy a new
machine, boot the TI recovery CD and restore my image to the new disk.
That will work, assuming the machine isn't so new that TI doesn't have
a driver for some critical component (unlikley, and fixable).

After that, it depends on what OS you use. XP has a recovery console
that will probably work, but I've never had to use it.

With Win/98 I assume that as long as the IDE driver was compatible
(Very probably unless you get SATA in the new machine) the machine
would boot and all the other drivers could be fixed, one at a time,
but it would be messy.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
a b G Storage
January 17, 2005 2:47:15 PM

Sayso Takewashi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use ghost to image my drive for backup.After some month/years the
> Computer broke/was stolen/i want a new computer.
> Could i take back this image to an total different computer and after
> some tweaking it will work as the former one?Would some safe-boots
> after restoring makes Windows 98/ME or 2000 able to catch up with it?

98 may take some beating but you should be able to recover.

2K may or may not. Depends on what drivers it had loaded when you made the
image and what hardware is in the new machine. Keep it as close as
possible to the old one and you should be OK. You may have to do a repair
installation.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:47:14 +0100, Sayso Takewashi
<Sayso_Takewashi@yahoo.comm> wrote:

>I use ghost to image my drive for backup.After some month/years the
>Computer broke/was stolen/i want a new computer.
>Could i take back this image to an total different computer and after
>some tweaking it will work as the former one?Would some safe-boots
>after restoring makes Windows 98/ME or 2000 able to catch up with it?

I did this recently for a friend using True Image 7 on XP. His
proprietary system motherboard died, and I swapped him over to a
different generic box (different MB, chipset, CPU (P3 vs P3 Celeron)
video, sound, you name it).

I took the opportunity to upgrade his hard disks, so I restored his
last image to a new HD. It kept rebooting, but after I did a repair
install of XP, it came right up with all his data and apps intact. It
did require all the service packs be reinstalled, but all the previous
software worked like a charm.

I had to fix boot.ini from the repair console before the repair
install would run, but that's an unrelated issue.

I used to do it all the time on 98/ME with no problems beyond multiple
reboots.

a b G Storage
January 18, 2005 2:50:39 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:52:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Sayso Takewashi wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use ghost to image my drive for backup.After some month/years the
>> Computer broke/was stolen/i want a new computer.
>> Could i take back this image to an total different computer and after
>> some tweaking it will work as the former one?Would some safe-boots
>> after restoring makes Windows 98/ME or 2000 able to catch up with it?
>
>98 may take some beating but you should be able to recover.
>
>2K may or may not. Depends on what drivers it had loaded when you made the
>image and what hardware is in the new machine. Keep it as close as
>possible to the old one and you should be OK. You may have to do a repair
>installation.

Thanks to you and to all who replied.

I will try this out,when i have got the new hardisk.

P.S. I dont know why my posting showed 5 times.Maybe txucom or
teranews has some problems with postings?
!