Advice Please: Changing Boot Drive By Disconnecting Power ..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
installed?
Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
boot drives this way on a regular basis?
Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
50 answers Last reply
More about advice please changing boot drive disconnecting power
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    > installed?
    > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    > boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    You are proposing a sledge hammer approach to an easy to solve problem.
    Google: dual boot windows for many step-by-step instructions.

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I was thinking of some kind of bootloader. Even if you use the Linux Lilo
    just to switch between two windows systems, it would be better.
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    > > installed?
    > > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    > > boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > > Thanks a lot.
    > >
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.
    >
    > You are proposing a sledge hammer approach to an easy to solve problem.
    > Google: dual boot windows for many step-by-step instructions.

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Robbie McFerren wrote:
    > I was thinking of some kind of bootloader. Even if you use the Linux Lilo
    > just to switch between two windows systems, it would be better.
    >
    >>Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    >>>drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    >>>automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    >>>installed?
    >>>Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    >>>boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    >>>Thanks a lot.
    >>>
    >>>Darren Harris
    >>>Staten Island, New York.
    >>
    >>You are proposing a sledge hammer approach to an easy to solve problem.
    >>Google: dual boot windows for many step-by-step instructions.

    My Abit motherboard has a BIOS setup selection to switch A: and B: .
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > Robbie McFerren wrote:
    >
    >> I was thinking of some kind of bootloader. Even if you use the Linux
    >> Lilo
    >> just to switch between two windows systems, it would be better.
    >> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

    >>> You are proposing a sledge hammer approach to an easy to solve problem.
    >>> Google: dual boot windows for many step-by-step instructions.
    >>

    > My Abit motherboard has a BIOS setup selection to switch A: and B: .

    He's wanting to switch between hard drives C & D, not floppies A & B.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote:
    > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    > installed?
    > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    > boot drives this way on a regular basis?

    I looked at this strategy last year, but eventually decided on a different
    approach. Instead of switching the power off of one drive (and losing
    accesibility), I built a switch (located on one of the empty floppy covers)
    that was connected to each drives' Master/Slave jumper. By flipping the
    switch, I can choose which drive is the boot drive, while at the same time
    keeping the other drive hooked up so I can access the data - basically, the
    switch takes the place of manually switching the Master/Slave jumpers on the
    drives, which gets old real fast.

    Here is a commercial site with a similar idea, just a different switch
    configuration:
    http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/43190/Build_a_HardDrive_Switcher.html

    Here's yet another approach, this one is a product that you buy:
    http://www.dansdata.com/nicklock.htm

    Jon
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Thanks everyone.

    Perhaps I'm getting closer to a solution.

    My hardware is as follows: ASUS CUV4X motherboard, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W
    SCSI controller, 18.21g Seagate(ST118202LC), 36.4g Fujitsu(MAF3364LC),
    and 73.4G
    Seagate(ST173404LCV).

    I guess what I'm looking for comes down to a scenario that involves
    isolating my largest drive whenever I'm connected to the internet, by
    making sure it is "off" when I boot from the second drive. Hence the
    idea of disconnecting the power cable. Dual booting would actually be
    another issue.(But I'd like that option also).

    I believe thesse are hot-swappable drives, but I was also wondering if
    it were possible to rig a switch to their jumpers to turn off the
    "write to" function of any of the drives instead. I have no idea if
    this is possible/plausible, and if so, whether or not turning off write
    function can be done while the PC is on.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
    Jon Danniken wrote:
    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote:
    > > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal
    boot(C)
    > > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating
    system
    > > installed?
    > > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching
    between
    > > boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    >
    > I looked at this strategy last year, but eventually decided on a
    different
    > approach. Instead of switching the power off of one drive (and
    losing
    > accesibility), I built a switch (located on one of the empty floppy
    covers)
    > that was connected to each drives' Master/Slave jumper. By flipping
    the
    > switch, I can choose which drive is the boot drive, while at the same
    time
    > keeping the other drive hooked up so I can access the data -
    basically, the
    > switch takes the place of manually switching the Master/Slave jumpers
    on the
    > drives, which gets old real fast.
    >
    > Here is a commercial site with a similar idea, just a different
    switch
    > configuration:

    http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/43190/Build_a_HardDrive_Switcher.html

    > Here's yet another approach, this one is a product that you buy:
    > http://www.dansdata.com/nicklock.htm
    >
    > Jon
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote:
    > Thanks everyone.

    The jumper switch is a copy of the Nicklock switch,
    offered on a Swedish website until about a year of two
    ago when it got bought out by an American company
    that discontinued it. It only works with 2 HDs, though,
    and making a connector yourself out of a jumper is really
    tedious.

    Regarding using a switch on your HD's power cable -
    that is what I do. I have DPST switches (made from DPDT
    toggle switches) that mount in 1/4" vent holes in the front of
    the chassis under the plastic fascia. To switch off a HD,
    with the PC unpowered(!), I reach in with a bent paperclip
    and throw the switch ON or OFF. With the power OFF, the
    HDs (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9s) are invisible to the BIOS
    and the next HD in the boot sequence is given control at startup,
    regardless of whether or not it's a Master or Slave. I also
    use a removable HD in a "mobile tray" that has an OFF/ON
    switch that has the same function as my DPST toggle switches.
    Here are the details on the mobile tray:
    http://kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=35&ID=95

    I use the power cut-off toggle switches to reduce stress on
    the power supply and on the bearings and electronics of the
    HD when the HD is un-needed. But the primary reason is
    to isolate the cloned OS from its clone when the clone is
    booted up for its first time. Opening the case and unplugging
    cables or the entire HD got old real fast, and it was causing
    wear on the connectors. Now I just power down and flip
    a toggle switch, and backing up the entire system by making
    archived bootable clones is quite simple.

    Since I run multiple installations of Windows XP Pro, I
    also use WinXP's built-in multi-boot manager which allows
    HD in the system. All it takes is an understanding of the
    syntax of the boot.ini file.

    As a backup to the boot.ini multi-boot manager, I also
    sometimes manually adjust the BIOS's boot sequence to
    select which HD boots (actually which HD's boot.ini file
    is used).

    Between all three of these methods, managing a system
    consisting of 7 OSes installed on 3 HDs (as I have) becomes
    quite simple, but for some reason, not much has been written
    about it.

    *TimDaniels*
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    > installed?
    > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    > boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    I think it's a bad idea electrically (especially with IDE drives).

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Not only is it a bad idea some hard drives and bioses will not support a
    slave without a master or a boot from a secondary master. Use a bootloader.
    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    > > installed?
    > > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    > > boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > > Thanks a lot.
    > >
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.
    > >
    > I think it's a bad idea electrically (especially with IDE drives).
    >
    > --
    > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 17 Jan 2005 11:06:43 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com
    wrote:

    >If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    >drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    >automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    >installed?
    >Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    >boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    >Thanks a lot.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

    Is it PATA or some other drive/interface type?
    The answer is "Maybe" but no you can't generally assume it
    will work because boards often look at a specific channel
    and (for parallel, master/slave position) to attempt boot.
    If your bios is set to try this device and it fails, it may
    then stop without booting. It is also possible that the
    bios "try other boot devices" setting will overcome this
    instead of ignoring other (PATA?) drives but it is not
    guaranteed.

    In other words, you'll have to try it and see per your
    board... easily enough done even if you dont' want to go to
    the trouble of setting up windows on the 2nd drive, you
    could still throw a FAT32 drive in with DOS on it.

    The other issue is whether you're disconnecting a master or
    slave if PATA. It would be better to use a drive with
    single (master & single drive) jumper setting, being the
    drive always connected, with the drive being unplugged being
    the slave, such that the jumpering remains correct and you
    always have a master device... of course it doesn't apply
    for SATA.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message news:1105986599.357291.202090@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating
    > system installed?
    > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching
    > between boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    That works with SCSI because most SCSI host adapters will
    just go to the next ID searching for a boot drive, but I don't
    think it will work for IDE. One negative effect is the extra
    wear and tear on the drive's power connector. It would be
    better to use a double-pole switch (for the 12v and 5v).
    I've never seen a switch made for switching drive power.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    If I understand your setup you seem to have 3 SCSI drives attached to the Adaptec
    2940, correct? Why not just go into the Adaptec BIOS (CTL-A) and change the boot drive from 8 to 9 or
    whatever? I have XP on SCSI drive 8 and Linux on SCSI drive 9 and just alternate which SCSI ID to load
    from...

    L David Matheny wrote:

    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message news:1105986599.357291.202090@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating
    > > system installed?
    > > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching
    > > between boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > > Thanks a lot.
    > >
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.
    > >
    > That works with SCSI because most SCSI host adapters will
    > just go to the next ID searching for a boot drive, but I don't
    > think it will work for IDE. One negative effect is the extra
    > wear and tear on the drive's power connector. It would be
    > better to use a double-pole switch (for the 12v and 5v).
    > I've never seen a switch made for switching drive power.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Oh look, Dirwin is back.

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message news:1105986599.357291.202090@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
    > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    > installed?
    > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    > boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:05:59 -0800, "Timothy Daniels"
    <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    ><Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote:
    >> Thanks everyone.
    >

    > The jumper switch is a copy of the Nicklock switch,
    >offered on a Swedish website until about a year of two
    >ago when it got bought out by an American company
    >that discontinued it. It only works with 2 HDs, though,
    >and making a connector yourself out of a jumper is really
    >tedious.

    Who needs to make a connector?
    Grab any abandoned AT case and pull the reset, LED cables
    out... or if you're lucky enough to find an abandoned ATX,
    you'll have the power switch cable too. Although, it's not
    much of a solution since there are boot managers and that it
    does not safeguard the drive.

    > Regarding using a switch on your HD's power cable -
    >that is what I do. I have DPST switches (made from DPDT

    <snip>

    > Between all three of these methods, managing a system
    >consisting of 7 OSes installed on 3 HDs (as I have) becomes
    >quite simple, but for some reason, not much has been written
    >about it.

    Because most people don't need 7 OS?
    Better safe than sorry though, if you find your use really
    warrants that setup.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

    > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the
    > normal boot(C) drive's power plug is disconnected,
    > will the other(D) drive automatically become the boot
    > drive if it also has an operating system installed?

    Depends on the motherboard bios. Most modern bios will go thru
    the specified sequence of devices to boot from until it finds one
    thats bootable so the one with the power unplugged will be skipped.

    It also varys a bit with the drives too. If you have them setup
    as master and slave on the same ribbon cable and unplug the
    power from the master, most drives will come up as slave
    fine with no master, but not all drives will. There are a few
    drives around still that have a different jumper setting for
    master in a pair and single drive on a cable.

    Not a problem if you are using cable select.

    > Are there any short or long term negative effects to
    > switching between boot drives this way on a regular basis?

    Yes, some systems dont work reliably with an unpowered
    drive on the ribbon cable. Doesnt damage anything but you
    can get data errors in that config.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > The original poster didn't mention SCSI, so we are assuming that he
    > is using IDE drives. I said that what he wants to do works with SCSI
    > but probably not with IDE. In my case, I remove power from my
    > primary SCSI drive because I want to boot to my secondary (test)
    drive
    > *without* having the primary drive online (to be infected or
    whatever).

    That was the original and primary purpose of keeping only a single
    drive in my system connected to the internet.

    There is less power consumption and less noise when two out of three
    drives are unplugged.(They're 10K rpm SCSI drives). But I still wonder
    if it is more plausible to rig some sort of jumper switch to turn
    off/on the write to my "D" and "E" drives.

    If anyone knows for certain, and how to do this, I would appreciate any
    pointers.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 17 Jan 2005 11:06:43 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    >If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    >drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    >automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    >installed?

    If the IDE remains conencted, and the power is turned off, then the other drive
    on that cable won't work.

    FWIW, I used to have a system with two HDs, and I made a switch to toggle the
    master/slave settings of them. It worked perfectly.

    If you want to use a hardware solution, that might be an option for you.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "John Smith" <jsmith@aol.com> wrote in message news:41ECAC36.217D15C0@aol.com...
    > If I understand your setup you seem to have 3 SCSI drives attached
    > to the Adaptec 2940, correct? Why not just go into the Adaptec BIOS
    > (CTL-A) and change the boot drive from 8 to 9 or whatever? I have
    > XP on SCSI drive 8 and Linux on SCSI drive 9 and just alternate
    > which SCSI ID to load from...

    The original poster didn't mention SCSI, so we are assuming that he
    is using IDE drives. I said that what he wants to do works with SCSI
    but probably not with IDE. In my case, I remove power from my
    primary SCSI drive because I want to boot to my secondary (test) drive
    *without* having the primary drive online (to be infected or whatever).
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On 18 Jan 2005 09:14:19 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger to
    > keyboard and composed:
    >
    > >> The original poster didn't mention SCSI, so we are assuming that
    he
    > >> is using IDE drives. I said that what he wants to do works with
    SCSI
    > >> but probably not with IDE. In my case, I remove power from my
    > >> primary SCSI drive because I want to boot to my secondary (test)
    > >drive
    > >> *without* having the primary drive online (to be infected or
    > >whatever).
    > >
    > >That was the original and primary purpose of keeping only a single
    > >drive in my system connected to the internet.
    > >
    > >There is less power consumption and less noise when two out of three
    > >drives are unplugged.(They're 10K rpm SCSI drives). But I still
    wonder
    > >if it is more plausible to rig some sort of jumper switch to turn
    > >off/on the write to my "D" and "E" drives.
    > >
    > >If anyone knows for certain, and how to do this, I would appreciate
    any
    > >pointers.
    >
    > Huh? Didn't you see my first post to this thread?
    >
    > Place a jumper over the Write Protect pin of a particular drive and
    > then test whether you can write to it. Do it with power disconnected.
    > Many intelligent devices only look at their jumper settings at
    > power-up time.

    Easier said than done. I've been to the Seagate site and could not find
    specifics on what jumper is for write protect.(That ASCII is pretty
    confusing).

    I'm assuming that if I can find a way to partition my "D" and "E"
    drives(two and four partitions respectively), all six resulting
    partitions still would nbot write between each other, or does the write
    protect just block "outside the drive" data?
    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message
    > On 17 Jan 2005 11:06:43 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    >
    >>If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    >>drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    >>automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    >>installed?

    > If the IDE remains conencted, and the power is turned
    > off, then the other drive on that cable won't work.

    They usually do, actually.

    > FWIW, I used to have a system with two HDs, and I made a switch to toggle the
    > master/slave settings of them. It worked perfectly.
    >
    > If you want to use a hardware solution, that might be an option for you.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 17 Jan 2005 16:07:22 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >I was also wondering if
    >it were possible to rig a switch to their jumpers to turn off the
    >"write to" function of any of the drives instead.

    I believe most (all?) SCSI drives have a write protect (WP) jumper.

    See the following URLs:
    http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/computing/storage/hdd/eol/ehdd/mag3-jumper.html
    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st118202lc.html
    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/scsi/st173404lcv.html

    Locate the appropriate jumper and wire a SPST switch to it.

    - Franc Zabkar
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:16:52 -0500, "L David Matheny"
    <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    ><Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message news:1105986599.357291.202090@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >> If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    >> drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    >> automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating
    >> system installed?
    >> Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching
    >> between boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    >> Thanks a lot.
    >>
    >> Darren Harris
    >> Staten Island, New York.
    >>
    >That works with SCSI because most SCSI host adapters will
    >just go to the next ID searching for a boot drive, ...

    Then why not connect SCSI ID bit 3 to a switch? When the switch is
    closed, drive 0 becomes drive 8, or drive 1 becomes 9, or drive 2
    becomes 10. An additional write protect switch would give added
    security. A single DPST switch would handle both functions.

    - Franc Zabkar
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message news:v1apu0dd7v3pba6mr9n7sgnptqt4eq184j@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:16:52 -0500, "L David Matheny"
    > <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    <snip>
    > >That works with SCSI because most SCSI host adapters will
    > >just go to the next ID searching for a boot drive, ...
    >
    > Then why not connect SCSI ID bit 3 to a switch? When the switch is
    > closed, drive 0 becomes drive 8, or drive 1 becomes 9, or drive 2
    > becomes 10. An additional write protect switch would give added
    > security. A single DPST switch would handle both functions.

    When I boot my backup (test) drive I don't really need or want my
    primary drive online for security reasons, but your idea of also switching
    a write-protect line sounds interesting. Thanks. I just haven't gone to
    that much trouble because I don't switch between drives very often.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "L David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote in message news:354pvlF4hgbj2U1@individual.net
    > "John Smith" <jsmith@aol.com> wrote in message news:41ECAC36.217D15C0@aol.com...
    > > If I understand your setup you seem to have 3 SCSI drives attached
    > > to the Adaptec 2940, correct? Why not just go into the Adaptec BIOS
    > > (CTL-A) and change the boot drive from 8 to 9 or whatever? I have
    > > XP on SCSI drive 8 and Linux on SCSI drive 9 and just alternate
    > > which SCSI ID to load from...
    > >
    > The original poster didn't mention SCSI,

    OP did, just not in his OP.

    > so we are assuming that he
    > is using IDE drives. I said that what he wants to do works with SCSI
    > but probably not with IDE. In my case, I remove power from my
    > primary SCSI drive because I want to boot to my secondary (test) drive
    > *without* having the primary drive online (to be infected or whatever).
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "L David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote in message news:353k6lF4g1og4U1@individual.net
    > <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message news:1105986599.357291.202090@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > > If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > > drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > > automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating
    > > system installed?
    > > Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching
    > > between boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > > Thanks a lot.
    > >
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.
    > >
    > That works with SCSI because most SCSI host adapters will
    > just go to the next ID searching for a boot drive,

    Actually, their bios enumerates devices starting with the boot ID and
    then from ID0 up to ID15 (or in reverse if LSI and if so ordered).
    (You can also remove devices from bios inclusion so they can't boot).

    > but I don't think it will work for IDE.

    Actually, it is a function of the MB bios, so not IDE or SCSI dependent.
    It just looks for the first bootable or possibly bootable drive using the
    MB bootsequence order.
    If you have a possibly bootable drive but that isn't made bootable, the
    bootsequence just stops there, if it's a non boot-able drive it just goes
    to the next in sequence.

    > One negative effect is the extra wear and tear on the
    > drive's power connector. It would be better to use a
    > double-pole switch (for the 12v and 5v).
    > I've never seen a switch made for switching drive power.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > > On 18 Jan 2005 09:14:19 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger
    > > keyboard and composed:

    > > > That was the original and primary purpose of keeping only a
    single
    > > > drive in my system connected to the internet.
    > > >
    > > > There is less power consumption and less noise when two out of
    three
    > > > drives are unplugged.(They're 10K rpm SCSI drives). But I still
    wonder
    > > > if it is more plausible to rig some sort of jumper switch to turn
    > > > off/on the write to my "D" and "E" drives.
    > > >
    > > > If anyone knows for certain, and how to do this, I would
    appreciate any
    > > > pointers.
    > >
    > > Huh? Didn't you see my first post to this thread?
    >
    > Of course he did, but he is Dirwin. Dirwin is into trick questions.
    > He will now try and make you look foolish, as if you gave stupid
    advice.
    > He did it before in other threads.

    No. You didn't need my help whats0oever in looking foolish.
    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 18 Jan 2005 09:14:19 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >> The original poster didn't mention SCSI, so we are assuming that he
    >> is using IDE drives. I said that what he wants to do works with SCSI
    >> but probably not with IDE. In my case, I remove power from my
    >> primary SCSI drive because I want to boot to my secondary (test)
    >drive
    >> *without* having the primary drive online (to be infected or
    >whatever).
    >
    >That was the original and primary purpose of keeping only a single
    >drive in my system connected to the internet.
    >
    >There is less power consumption and less noise when two out of three
    >drives are unplugged.(They're 10K rpm SCSI drives). But I still wonder
    >if it is more plausible to rig some sort of jumper switch to turn
    >off/on the write to my "D" and "E" drives.
    >
    >If anyone knows for certain, and how to do this, I would appreciate any
    >pointers.

    Huh? Didn't you see my first post to this thread?

    Place a jumper over the Write Protect pin of a particular drive and
    then test whether you can write to it. Do it with power disconnected.
    Many intelligent devices only look at their jumper settings at
    power-up time.

    - Franc Zabkar
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message news:7aoqu0lu29li383g3l7mh82sufv275qfou@4ax.com
    > On 18 Jan 2005 09:14:19 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger to
    > keyboard and composed:
    >
    > > > The original poster didn't mention SCSI, so we are assuming that he
    > > > is using IDE drives. I said that what he wants to do works with SCSI
    > > > but probably not with IDE. In my case, I remove power from my
    > > > primary SCSI drive because I want to boot to my secondary (test) drive
    > > > *without* having the primary drive online (to be infected or whatever).
    > >
    > > That was the original and primary purpose of keeping only a single
    > > drive in my system connected to the internet.
    > >
    > > There is less power consumption and less noise when two out of three
    > > drives are unplugged.(They're 10K rpm SCSI drives). But I still wonder
    > > if it is more plausible to rig some sort of jumper switch to turn
    > > off/on the write to my "D" and "E" drives.
    > >
    > > If anyone knows for certain, and how to do this, I would appreciate any
    > > pointers.
    >
    > Huh? Didn't you see my first post to this thread?

    Of course he did, but he is Dirwin. Dirwin is into trick questions.
    He will now try and make you look foolish, as if you gave stupid advice.
    He did it before in other threads.

    > Place a jumper over the Write Protect pin of a particular drive and
    > then test whether you can write to it. Do it with power disconnected.
    > Many intelligent devices only look at their jumper settings at
    > power-up time.
    >

    > - Franc Zabkar
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 18 Jan 2005 12:12:55 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >> On 18 Jan 2005 09:14:19 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger to
    >> keyboard and composed:

    >he
    >SCSI
    >> >drive
    >> >whatever).
    >> >
    >> >That was the original and primary purpose of keeping only a single
    >> >drive in my system connected to the internet.
    >> >
    >> >There is less power consumption and less noise when two out of three
    >> >drives are unplugged.(They're 10K rpm SCSI drives). But I still
    >wonder
    >> >if it is more plausible to rig some sort of jumper switch to turn
    >> >off/on the write to my "D" and "E" drives.
    >> >
    >> >If anyone knows for certain, and how to do this, I would appreciate
    >any
    >> >pointers.
    >>
    >> Huh? Didn't you see my first post to this thread?
    >>
    >> Place a jumper over the Write Protect pin of a particular drive and
    >> then test whether you can write to it. Do it with power disconnected.
    >> Many intelligent devices only look at their jumper settings at
    >> power-up time.
    >
    >Easier said than done. I've been to the Seagate site and could not find
    >specifics on what jumper is for write protect.(That ASCII is pretty
    >confusing).

    If you mean Seagate's "letter gothic" font, then follow the "Odd
    characters?" link on the ST173404LCV page:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/fonts.html

    The Write Protect jumper is at position 5 of connector J2 on the side
    of the drive. Position 1 is toward the rear of the HD. Installing the
    jumper write protects the HD, leaving it open enables it.

    >I'm assuming that if I can find a way to partition my "D" and "E"
    >drives(two and four partitions respectively), all six resulting
    >partitions still would nbot write between each other, or does the write
    >protect just block "outside the drive" data?

    The WP jumper write disables the entire physical drive. You can
    "disable" individual partitions across multiple drives by using an
    intelligent boot manager that hides selected partitions. It does this
    by changing the partition type byte in the relevant partition
    table(s).

    - Franc Zabkar
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message news:dcdru09d87624oo9hlt2ajdvu6v5gacc9o@4ax.com...
    <snip>
    > The WP jumper write disables the entire physical drive.

    I would trust this SCSI hardware solution completely.

    > You can "disable" individual partitions across multiple
    > drives by using an intelligent boot manager that hides
    > selected partitions. It does this by changing the partition
    > type byte in the relevant partition table(s).

    But this could possibly be undone by a malicious program.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "CJT" wrote:
    >>The original question that started this thread was
    >> geared towards finding any possible negatives
    >> in switching boot drives by cutting power completely.
    >
    > ... and the short answer is : don't do it.

    Why?

    *TimDan*
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message news:dcdru09d87624oo9hlt2ajdvu6v5gacc9o@4ax.com
    > On 18 Jan 2005 12:12:55 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger to keyboard and composed:
    > > Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > > > On 18 Jan 2005 09:14:19 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

    > > > Huh? Didn't you see my first post to this thread?
    > > >
    > > > Place a jumper over the Write Protect pin of a particular drive and
    > > > then test whether you can write to it. Do it with power disconnected.
    > > > Many intelligent devices only look at their jumper settings at
    > > > power-up time.
    > >
    > > Easier said than done. I've been to the Seagate site and could not find
    > > specifics on what jumper is for write protect.(That ASCII is pretty
    > > confusing).
    >
    > If you mean Seagate's "letter gothic" font, then follow the "Odd
    > characters?" link on the ST173404LCV page:
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/fonts.html
    >
    > The Write Protect jumper is at position 5

    > of connector J2 on the side of the drive.

    You forgot to tell Dirwin which side of the drive.
    Now he will be looking for it at the side(s) instead of the underside
    and be wondering what this J2 pictorial on the label of the drive is
    all about. Please, do not confuse Dirwin.

    > Position 1 is toward the rear of the HD.
    > Installing the jumper write protects the HD,

    > leaving it open enables it.

    Now Dirwin is completely confused.

    > > I'm assuming that if I can find a way to partition my "D" and "E"
    > > drives (two and four partitions respectively), all six resulting
    > > partitions still would not write between each other, or does the
    > > write protect just block "outside the drive" data?

    What an intelligent question, Dirwin, you make me proud.

    > The WP jumper write disables the entire physical drive. You can
    > "disable" individual partitions across multiple drives by using an
    > intelligent boot manager that hides selected partitions. It does this
    > by changing the partition type byte in the relevant partitiontable(s).
    >

    > - Franc Zabkar
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "CJT" wrote:
    >
    >>> The original question that started this thread was
    >>> geared towards finding any possible negatives
    >>> in switching boot drives by cutting power completely.
    >>

    >> ... and the short answer is : don't do it.
    >

    > Why?
    >
    > *TimDan*

    At best it creates an electrical situation that is undefined and can
    lead to errors, perhaps via excess loading or reflections (but, being
    undefined, who can say?). At worst it will blow the line drivers on
    either the drive(s) or controller or both (unlikely, but again, it's
    behavior that's undefined, so who knows?).

  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
    > > On 17 Jan 2005 11:06:43 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > >
    > > >If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal
    boot(C)
    > > >drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > > >automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating
    system
    > > >installed?
    > > >Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching
    between
    > > >boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    > >
    > > My MoBo Gigabyte has a ATA/RAID ITE Controller chip, and my new
    Bios lets me
    > > select what drive out of the 4 to boot from..
    > >
    > Forget it, Dirwin is a well known troll. He is not listening.
    >
    > I believe he's been told to use boot managers in a previous thread,
    but it was
    > way to difficult for him.

    Back with your lies. I see.

    You and Folkert are the well known instigators here, and it is common
    knowledge to regular posters.

    I exposed you already for what you are, so go find another thread to
    troll.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > > Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > >> It means stop responding to the trolls. They are
    > >> playing with you.
    > >
    > > And I can't play back? :-)
    > >
    > > Just about every newsgroup has it's jackasses. This one has three.
    > > I'm sure that the third one will also post something stupid if he
    > > sees this, but I won't mention his name until he does.
    > >
    > > Anyway, whenever they(especially Eric) see a thread I start they
    > > post a statement "warning" the other legit posters that I am a
    > > troll.(As if other posters are incapable of determining who is a
    > > troll). From there the thread becomes garbage, because I have to
    > > fire back.
    >
    > No you don't. You are just amusing them and annoying others,
    > especially on a foully crossposted thread such as this. If you
    > have them identified, simply PLONK them.

    No such option. I read and post via Goolge.

    Anyway, I'll handle it my way. Perhaps I'm the one who is amused.

    And what is annoying is someone unrelated to the discussion(or
    argument) has to put their two cents in on the worng side. "Advise"
    those who *instigate*, and perhaps you will accomplish something.
    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:41EF2C08.8000301@prodigy.net
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > > > ... and the short answer is : don't do it.
    > >
    > > Why?
    > >
    > > *TimDan*
    >

    > At best it creates an electrical situation that is undefined

    Not with SCSI and SATA.

    > and can lead to errors, perhaps via excess loading or reflections

    Not with SCSI and SATA.

    > (but, being undefined, who can say?).

    With SCSI it is not undefined.
    With IDE the specs don't say anything about it.

    > At worst it will blow the line drivers on
    > either the drive(s) or controller or both

    So drive caddies with power switches on them are inherently dangerous!?!
    Sigh!

    > (unlikely, but again, it's behavior that's undefined, so who knows?).
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 17 Jan 2005 11:06:43 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    >If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    >drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    >automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    >installed?
    >Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    >boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    >Thanks a lot.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

    My MoBo Gigabyte has a ATA/RAID ITE Controller chip, and my new Bios lets me
    select what drive out of the 4 to boot from..
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
    > On 17 Jan 2005 11:06:43 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    >
    > >If one has multiple drives, in a single system, and the normal boot(C)
    > >drive's power plug is disconnected, will the other(D) drive
    > >automatically become the boot drive if it also has an operating system
    > >installed?
    > >Are there any short or long term negative effects to switching between
    > >boot drives this way on a regular basis?
    >
    > My MoBo Gigabyte has a ATA/RAID ITE Controller chip, and my new Bios lets me
    > select what drive out of the 4 to boot from..

    Forget it, Dirwin is a well known troll. He is not listening.

    I believe he's been told to use boot managers in a previous thread, but it was
    way to difficult for him.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea what that was referring to.
    >>
    >> It means stop responding to the trolls. They are
    >> playing with you.
    >
    > And I can't play back? :-)
    >
    > Just about every newsgroup has it's jackasses. This one has three.
    > I'm sure that the third one will also post something stupid if he
    > sees this, but I won't mention his name until he does.
    >
    > Anyway, whenever they(especially Eric) see a thread I start they
    > post a statement "warning" the other legit posters that I am a
    > troll.(As if other posters are incapable of determining who is a
    > troll). From there the thread becomes garbage, because I have to
    > fire back.

    No you don't. You are just amusing them and annoying others,
    especially on a foully crossposted thread such as this. If you
    have them identified, simply PLONK them.

  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >>> ... and the short answer is : don't do it.
    >>

    >> Why?
    >>
    >> *TimDan*
    >
    >At best it creates an electrical situation that is undefined and can
    >lead to errors, perhaps via excess loading or reflections (but, being
    >undefined, who can say?). At worst it will blow the line drivers on
    >either the drive(s) or controller or both (unlikely, but again, it's
    >behavior that's undefined, so who knows?).

    It would be a wonderful situation if people only posted what they know
    about! I have 3 three bay hard drive enclosures, 1 five bay, 2 sata
    units and about 7 indivdual drives mostly with systems on them
    connected to the mother board at various times by the ide and a
    couple of drive controller cards. Control is by which have power
    connected/disconnected and with bios choice. Guess what??? works
    fine!!!!!
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Take you meds, Dirwin. We have seen many a troll round here, and you surely are
    one of them. One only has to look at the inappropriate cross-posting.

    Tell us Dirwin, what is an instigator? We would like to hear more of your
    delusions about trolls.

    > > Forget it, Dirwin is a well known troll. He is not listening.
    > >
    > > I believe he's been told to use boot managers in a previous thread,
    > but it was
    > > way to difficult for him.
    >
    > Back with your lies. I see.
    >
    > You and Folkert are the well known instigators here, and it is common
    > knowledge to regular posters.
    >
    > I exposed you already for what you are, so go find another thread to
    > troll.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "IDIDIT" <VISCH@EVASION.COM> wrote in message

    > >At best it creates an electrical situation that is undefined and can
    > >lead to errors, perhaps via excess loading or reflections (but, being
    > >undefined, who can say?). At worst it will blow the line drivers on
    > >either the drive(s) or controller or both (unlikely, but again, it's
    > >behavior that's undefined, so who knows?).
    >
    > It would be a wonderful situation if people only posted what they know
    > about! I have 3 three bay hard drive enclosures, 1 five bay, 2 sata
    > units and about 7 indivdual drives mostly with systems on them
    > connected to the mother board at various times by the ide and a
    > couple of drive controller cards. Control is by which have power
    > connected/disconnected and with bios choice. Guess what??? works
    > fine!!!!!

    And you know all about it based on one experience?

    Those of us with more experience know it can cause data corruption.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > Take you meds, Dirwin. We have seen many a troll round here, and you
    surely are
    > one of them. One only has to look at the inappropriate cross-posting.
    >
    > Tell us Dirwin, what is an instigator? We would like to hear more of
    your
    > delusions about trolls.

    Definition of Troll: Eric Gisin

    The normal posters here are smart enough to know who the trolls are.
    They don't need you to jump on all my threads whenever I post in an
    effort to convince them to take your point of view.

    Everything was fine until you arrived. But this is how it always goes,
    doesn't it?

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > UNTIL you'd received all the useful replies one could expect
    > given the circumstances, but then didnt' just go about
    > implementing your plan for the power-off backup.
    > Considering that it's been awhile since that last post, I
    > question whether you really have a pressing need to leave a
    > drive in off-state, else you'd have found a solution already
    > and this thread wouldn't exist.
    >
    > What I'm suggesting, is that you go ahead and try it, with a
    > drive NOT yet holding valuable data. Make it a test case,
    > and if it's working to your satisfaction, report back the
    > result. There isn't anything more this thread can do for
    > you, nor that you can do for the thread, other than snip
    > back and forth with those who would taunt you.

    Thanks. I agree.

    >From what I see all bases were covered.

    The best solution is actually a combination of options.

    Two toggle switches for all but the "C" drive. One for manipulating the
    write protect, and the other for turning on/off power.(Then there is
    also supposed to be some SCSI utilty that spins down drives that have
    not been accesses in a while, and back up when polled).

    This is going to be a huge project.(Perhaps one day the manufacturers
    will ge smart and make these switches options standard on all pcs. But
    I don't expect that to happen in this decade).
    Thanks again.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Like all your past threads, you have yet to explain what you are doing and why.

    So no one can answer your questions, you just waste our time.

    Like I said last time, answer questions when you are asked. Quit your trolling.

    > >From what I see all bases were covered.
    >
    > The best solution is actually a combination of options.
    >
    > Two toggle switches for all but the "C" drive. One for manipulating the
    > write protect, and the other for turning on/off power.(Then there is
    > also supposed to be some SCSI utilty that spins down drives that have
    > not been accesses in a while, and back up when polled).
    >
    > This is going to be a huge project.(Perhaps one day the manufacturers
    > will ge smart and make these switches options standard on all pcs. But
    > I don't expect that to happen in this decade).
    > Thanks again.

  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > Like all your past threads, you have yet to explain what you are
    doing and why.

    > So no one can answer your questions, you just waste our time.
    >
    > Like I said last time, answer questions when you are asked. Quit your
    trolling.

    Eric Gisin = Super Troll

    We will be at this forever until you leave me alone.

    You are nobody. You know nothing. You do nothing but provoke.

    If you think your time is being wasted, then don't post attacks on me
    when I am have a discussion with normal intelligent people.
    Moron.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Eric Gisin wrote
    > Now you are spamming, cross posting and duplicate posting.
    >
    > Complaint sent to groups-abuse@google.com for three posts to four
    groups.

    You need to *learn* what spam is. And I have every right to cross post
    as long as I'm on topic and what I post is pertinant to the newsgroup.

    Since you are violating the Google Terms of Service I am sending a
    complaint with referrences to the threads that I started where you have
    without provocation displayed your immaturity and abusive behavior.(ie:
    "Darren Harris, rabid psycho troll").

    Terms of Service
    ****************
    "defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal
    rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;"

    I'm also gathering the online evidence that you are harrassing others,
    and will contact them to gather and send a collective complaint about
    you. You obvious have a habit of going around calling people trolls(and
    other things) for no reason.

    And again for the record, here are some "Eric Gisin" hits in Google
    Groups:
    1) Eric Gisin Sodomizes Sheep
    2) An open letter to Eric Gisin
    3) Eric Gisin, Aubsiive Newsgroup Cyberpunk
    4) Eric Gisin, Newsgroup Faggot Punk
    5) Troll Alert: Eric Gisin
    6) Eric Gisin in BC
    7) "Eric Gisin" <ericg@netidea-com> is a seriously
    8) The TRUTH about Eric Gisin
    9) Troll Elimination: Eric Gisin
    10) Let's Stop the Troll Eric Gisin!

    They are all negative and that was just the first ten.(There is a good
    reason for why you inspire threads like these).
    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:45:25 -0800, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"IDIDIT" <VISCH@EVASION.COM> wrote in message
    >>
    >> >At best it creates an electrical situation that is undefined and can
    >> >lead to errors, perhaps via excess loading or reflections (but, being
    >> >undefined, who can say?). At worst it will blow the line drivers on
    >> >either the drive(s) or controller or both (unlikely, but again, it's
    >> >behavior that's undefined, so who knows?).
    >>
    >> It would be a wonderful situation if people only posted what they know
    >> about! I have 3 three bay hard drive enclosures, 1 five bay, 2 sata
    >> units and about 7 indivdual drives mostly with systems on them
    >> connected to the mother board at various times by the ide and a
    >> couple of drive controller cards. Control is by which have power
    >> connected/disconnected and with bios choice. Guess what??? works
    >> fine!!!!!
    >
    >And you know all about it based on one experience?
    >
    >Those of us with more experience know it can cause data corruption.
    Ya I know, I'm just another "act as if" know it all thats around here.
    I'll just say I serviced small systems when they had tubes and multi
    contact mech. relays, punch card and paper tape input. Things from
    mechanical adding machines to ATMs and high speed check sorters.
    Fixing engineers mistakes to make things work was part of a normal
    day. NUF SAID
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    > >
    > > Running with the signal cable plugged in and the power unplugged is
    > > something that works sometimes--if it is working for you you are
    > "getting
    > > away" with something that's not documented as working. The trouble
    > with
    > > this is that you'll get away with it and think it's something you can
    > do
    > > and then one day you'll change drives or go to a new motherboard or
    > > whatever and it will no longer work and you'll end up with a huge
    > mess on
    > > your hands.
    >
    > I guess that means that power *and* data connections would have to be
    > physically disconnected. :-)

    How many times have you been told that already? You must be really dense.

Hardware Boot Homebuilt Storage