Restoring Ghost 9 drive image w/o ability to boot from CD

Hello, All!

I would like to restore a Ghost 9 image of my operating system partition. I
can not boot from the CD and can not figure out if there is an alternative.
Suggestions?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Colonel Blip <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com>
wrote in message news:41ec2c72$1_2@127.0.0.1...

> I would like to restore a Ghost 9 image of my operating
> system partition. I can not boot from the CD and can not
> figure out if there is an alternative. Suggestions?

You can do that from within the installed ghost 9 if you can run that.

If you cant, you have a problem because ghost 9 has no other alternatives.

TrueImage does, it can make boot floppys as well as bootable CDs.

Why cant you boot the CD ?

Sounds like you are going to have to take the drive out and put it into
another machine and do the restore there.
Like the man asked, why can't you boot from CD?

Hello, Rod!
You wrote on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:30:01 +1100:

RS> Colonel Blip <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com>
RS> wrote in message news:41ec2c72$1_2@127.0.0.1...

RS> You can do that from within the installed ghost 9 if you can run that.

Not according to Ghost 9 (unless I plain overlooked it). I get a message
that one can not restore the OS image on the current OS drive. My setup is,
for purposes of this discussion, one physical drive, two logical
drives/partitions, ghost on the C drive and image on the D drive.

RS> If you cant, you have a problem because ghost 9 has no other
RS> alternatives.

RS> TrueImage does, it can make boot floppys as well as bootable CDs.

RS> Why cant you boot the CD ?

Good question. This is an ASUS A7V8X m/b. I can set the bios for what
appears to enable but it doesn't. My bios allows me to set a CD as a
SCSI/ATA drive (this one is an IDE, i.e. ATA therefore) and elevate it to
the initial boot position. BUT, it is ignored. My system is w2k; I'm
wondering if there are some config.sys, autoexec.bat things needed but I
don't see why since thought this was all at the hardware level.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

peter

>My setup is,
> for purposes of this discussion, one physical drive, two logical
> drives/partitions, ghost on the C drive and image on the D drive.

So it seems that you have taken a logical C drive partition image and stored
it on logical D drive partition.
If you use that image for restoring your C partition, system might not boot
because MBR was not stored/restored. I always image a whole boot disk for
that matter, not partitions.

> RS> Why cant you boot the CD ?
>
> Good question. This is an ASUS A7V8X m/b. I can set the bios for what
> appears to enable but it doesn't. My bios allows me to set a CD as a
> SCSI/ATA drive (this one is an IDE, i.e. ATA therefore) and elevate it to
> the initial boot position. BUT, it is ignored. My system is w2k; I'm
> wondering if there are some config.sys, autoexec.bat things needed but I
> don't see why since thought this was all at the hardware level.

That channel, you have your IDE CD-ROM installed, is it set to AUTO in BIOS
Main Menu?
Also, in BIOS Boot Menu, do you have ATAPI CD-ROM listed above IDE HD Drive?
If not, use <+> or <-> keys to change that precedence.

wrote in message news:41ed348a$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> Rod Speed rod_speed@yahoo.com wrote
>> Colonel Blip <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote

>> You can do that from within the installed ghost 9 if you can run that.

> Not according to Ghost 9 (unless I plain overlooked it). I get a message
> that one can not restore the OS image on the current OS drive.

There must be a reason its saying you cant. You can
normally, you dont have the use the CD to do a restore.

> My setup is, for purposes of this discussion, one physical drive, two
> logical drives/partitions, ghost on the C drive and image on the D drive.

Thats fine. There must be some other
reason why it claims that you cant restore.

>> If you cant, you have a problem because ghost 9 has no other alternatives.

>> TrueImage does, it can make boot floppys as well as bootable CDs.

>> Why cant you boot the CD ?

> Good question. This is an ASUS A7V8X m/b. I can set the bios
> for what appears to enable but it doesn't. My bios allows me to
> set a CD as a SCSI/ATA drive (this one is an IDE, i.e. ATA
> therefore) and elevate it to the initial boot position. BUT, it is ignored.

I'd concentrate on fixing that.

It will get ignored if it decides that the CD isnt bootable.

Try booting a different bootable CD to check that.

> My system is w2k; I'm wondering if there are some
> config.sys, autoexec.bat things needed but I don't see
> why since thought this was all at the hardware level.

Nar, it cant be that.

Likely the CD isnt actually bootable or you've scratched it etc.

Hello, Rod!
You wrote on Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:55:26 +1100:

RS> Colonel Blip <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com>
RS> wrote in message news:41ed348a$1_2@127.0.0.1...
??>> Rod Speed rod_speed@yahoo.com wrote
RS> There must be a reason its saying you cant. You can
RS> normally, you dont have the use the CD to do a restore.

May be but it definitely tells me to run the recovery disk via the CD

RS> Thats fine. There must be some other
RS> reason why it claims that you cant restore.

RS> I'd concentrate on fixing that.

RS> It will get ignored if it decides that the CD isnt bootable.

RS> Try booting a different bootable CD to check that.

RS> Nar, it cant be that.

RS> Likely the CD isnt actually bootable or you've scratched it etc.

Problem with the bootable CD has be corrected. Problem was my CD and DVD
were both on an IDE add in card. I had to rearrange some drives and get the
CD on the on-board IDE and then was able to get a boot.

Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in
message news:354ta2F4i56mjU1@individual.net...

>> My setup is, for purposes of this discussion, one physical drive, two
>> logical drives/partitions, ghost on the C drive and image on the D drive.

> So it seems that you have taken a logical C drive
> partition image and stored it on logical D drive partition.

Thats fine, I do that all the time on the test system because
I want to be able to switch between various canned installs.

> If you use that image for restoring your C partition, system
> might not boot because MBR was not stored/restored.

It shouldnt need to be restored, it will just have
the normal loader in it which should boot the
boot partition fine after its been restored.

And that shouldnt see ghost 9 refuse to restore it anyway,
at worst it should just fail to boot after the restore.

> I always image a whole boot disk for that matter, not partitions.

Imaging and restoring partitions works fine, I do it all the time.