Cheaper Backup server for home LAN?

I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use as server to run the
External 250 GB HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.

What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to my
External USB HD backup?

I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD and
it doesnt have that.

Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about cheaper backup server home

    jtsnow wrote:

    > I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use as server to run the
    > External 250 GB HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
    > I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
    > use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
    >
    > What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
    > will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
    > my External USB HD backup?
    >
    > I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD
    > and it doesnt have that.
    >
    > Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!

    If that laptop has a PCMCIA slot you can get a USB2 adapter for it for about
    15 bucks.

    If not, find a used machine with a PCI bus, details pretty much don't matter
    as long as it's working, get a PCI USB 2 board, put a stripped down Linux
    on it with just the drivers you need to access the disk and share it on
    your network. Total cost maybe 40 bucks depending on how good you are at
    scrounging.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Nice suggestions. Yes it as a slot for pcmcia card where modem is now. I
    can plug in there to try it.
    thanks!

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:27:03 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use as server to run the
    >External 250 GB HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
    >I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
    >use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
    >
    >What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
    >will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to my
    >External USB HD backup?
    >
    >I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD and
    >it doesnt have that.
    >
    >Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!

    How about this one:

    www.synology.com.tw

    I just ordered one for myself.

    Cheers, Dominique

    seems nice. at $400 Id have to pass though

    jtsnow wrote:

    > seems nice. at $400 Id have to pass though

    Especially considering that you can get a real server off of ebay for 50
    bucks.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    I think the list price on the manufacturer's site is considerably
    higher than actual street prices. I paid about half that amount here
    in Finland, where computer equipments tend to be more expensive than
    in the US.

    Cheers, Dominique

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:09:01 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >seems nice. at $400 Id have to pass though

    >"Dominique Pivard" <domi@kenavo.NOSPAM.fi> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How about this one:
    >>
    >> www.synology.com.tw
    >>
    >> I just ordered one for myself.

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:26:46 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >jtsnow wrote:
    >
    >> seems nice. at $400 Id have to pass though
    >
    >Especially considering that you can get a real server off of ebay for 50
    >bucks.

    As I said, actual prices are much lower. Still higher than 50 bucks,
    but I'm ready to pay a premium because:

    1) I have no need for a "real server"

    2) a $50 second-hand "real server" is likely to be noisier, bulkier,
    more power-hungry and less reliable than a brand new piece of hardware

    3) I like the idea of a pre-configured embedded Linux (I would have to
    spend several hours configuring a "real server", whether with windoze
    or with Linux, and my configuration would most likely not be as
    optimal for the task as the one pre-configured on the appliance).

    Cheers, Dominique

    Dominique Pivard wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:26:46 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>jtsnow wrote:
    >>
    >>> seems nice. at $400 Id have to pass though
    >>
    >>Especially considering that you can get a real server off of ebay for 50
    >>bucks.
    >
    > As I said, actual prices are much lower. Still higher than 50 bucks,
    > but I'm ready to pay a premium because:
    >
    > 1) I have no need for a "real server"
    >
    > 2) a $50 second-hand "real server" is likely to be noisier, bulkier,
    > more power-hungry and less reliable than a brand new piece of hardware

    I seriously doubt that that piece of consumer junk is going to be more
    reliable than the dual-Xeoned, SCSI-RAIDED, ECC-RAMmed, triple-redundant
    powered, overcooled, hot-swap-everything server I have sitting in the
    corner of my basement. That cost about the same.

    > 3) I like the idea of a pre-configured embedded Linux (I would have to
    > spend several hours configuring a "real server", whether with windoze
    > or with Linux, and my configuration would most likely not be as
    > optimal for the task as the one pre-configured on the appliance).

    I doubt that it is using embedded linux. It might be using Linux but I
    suspect it's the regular kind. As for being "optimal for the task", I
    think you're picking at minutiae here--I'd rather it be "good enough" and
    something that I can fix if I need to than be dependent on some outfit in
    Taiwan that nobody has ever heard of getting out timely bug-fixes.

    Besides, the last server I got off of ebay had a 500 seat Novell
    installation on it, and given the choice between embedded Linux and Novell,
    I'll take Novell any day--I've seen Novell boxen run 5 years without a
    reboot.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)