Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

SMART false alarms?

Tags:
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 18, 2005 11:41:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

One PC gave a SMART imminent failure warning 10 days ago and again a week
later. The system has a new Maxtor 250GB and a 5 year old Fujitsu 6 GB
drive that both support SMART, but the warning doesn't specify any drive.
(Valuable data is backed up daily to the small drive. When it needed an
upgrade I jumped it up to 250 because they were on sale, but the space isn't
needed yet.) I can't find a utility for Fujitsu, but Maxtor's test ran on
both and passed both.

What do you make of that?

Is there another utility I can try? I own a one-version-old copy of
Spinrite but it proved useless at fixing modern drives so I don't know if I
should bother using it just to detect problems.

The system is cold-booted every day but gave no warnings in the in-between
days. Is that because SMART clears it's warning flag and gives a new
warning when there is a new set of problem sectors, or does it just repeat
the same warning periodically?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

More about : smart false alarms

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 18, 2005 11:41:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:41:25 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso" <ng01@att.net.invalid>
wrote:

>One PC gave a SMART imminent failure warning 10 days ago and again a week
>later. The system has a new Maxtor 250GB and a 5 year old Fujitsu 6 GB
>drive that both support SMART, but the warning doesn't specify any drive.
>(Valuable data is backed up daily to the small drive. When it needed an
>upgrade I jumped it up to 250 because they were on sale, but the space isn't
>needed yet.) I can't find a utility for Fujitsu, but Maxtor's test ran on
>both and passed both.
>
>What do you make of that?

The small drive probably just passed it's expected lifespan. I forget
what the exact name for the counter is, but I've got some older drives
that show warnings for that as well. The other SMART counters all show
normal or passing levels so I continue to use those drives in some
non-critical systems.

>Is there another utility I can try?

Everest from http://www.lavalys.com/ is free and you can check the SMART
counters under the Storage section.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 21, 2005 4:05:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2svqu01bbuha9nfm4inscr3bhsgrq0mg0b@4ax.com...
>
> Everest from http://www.lavalys.com/ is free and you can check the SMART
> counters under the Storage section.

Thanks. I just tried Activesmart but it just froze me up. Now I'll take a
look at Everest.


--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 22, 2005 3:41:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:05:37 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso" <ng01@att.net.invalid>
wrote:

>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:2svqu01bbuha9nfm4inscr3bhsgrq0mg0b@4ax.com...
>>
>> Everest from http://www.lavalys.com/ is free and you can check the SMART
>> counters under the Storage section.
>
>Thanks. I just tried Activesmart but it just froze me up. Now I'll take a
>look at Everest.



Its very buggy only reports SMART on 3 drives out of 4, then its not the same
drive that is missing the SMART Info.


No problems with other SMART Programs..

Plus no support..