Stuttering issues

Hey, I have not been here in a bit, but is there any fixes out there for the
stuttering and crashing issues? My voodoo card is still in the machine.

What cards are NOT having the issue??

Are you playing HL or HL2????

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:31:28 GMT, "No One" <Nicetry@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hey, I have not been here in a bit, but is there any fixes out there for the
>stuttering and crashing issues? My voodoo card is still in the machine.
>
>What cards are NOT having the issue??

HL2

No One wrote:
> What cards are NOT having the issue??

My 9800XT and Athlon 63 3200 do not have any stuttering. Sound is
through a 5 year old Soundblaster Live! Value card and 4.1 speakers.

"No One" <Nicetry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hey, I have not been here in a bit, but is there any fixes out there for
> the stuttering and crashing issues? My voodoo card is still in the
> machine.
>
> What cards are NOT having the issue??

I lost the stuttering when I went from a FX 5900 to a GF 6800. However
updates may have had a lot to do with it.

Mox

I am running an AMD 1.4 with 512 RAM, ATI 9000 vid card and a SB Live Sound
card.

Think going to the Geforce may do it?

I cannot remember, is it actually the video card or the sound card that
makes the problem more evident?

No One wrote:
> I am running an AMD 1.4 with 512 RAM, ATI 9000 vid card and a SB Live
Sound
> card.

As Mox wrote the AMD 1.4 is a little behind
Also your ATI 9000 as a bit on the low side
Imho at least an ATI 9600 Pro

With these rather old components your board is probably lagging behind
as well
How's your benchmarks on such a rig?

http://www.futuremark.com/download/

rgds

I don't really know. I have never run AMD or ATI so I am not familiar with
your equipments capabilities. A few observations.

>I am running an AMD 1.4 with 512 RAM, ATI 9000 vid card and a SB Live Sound
>card.

AMD 1.4 is just above minimum requirements, I would be tempted to start
there.

> Think going to the Geforce may do it?

Well it worked for me, but ther are a lot of GF cards in a lot of
variations. I think I would check out alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, and
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia to get a better idea of what is working
with what..

> I cannot remember, is it actually the video card or the sound card that
> makes the problem more evident?

I used ASUS onboard sound with both video cards. Sound was not the problem
for me.

Mox
--
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P 4, 3.0GHz 800MHz Pres.

> "Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "No One" <Nicetry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Hey, I have not been here in a bit, but is there any fixes out there for
>>> the stuttering and crashing issues? My voodoo card is still in the
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> What cards are NOT having the issue??
>>
>> I lost the stuttering when I went from a FX 5900 to a GF 6800. However
>> updates may have had a lot to do with it.
>>
>> Mox

> my bad, I actually have the 9600 ATI card.

Cool
For reference we are running HL2 on two different boxes equipped with
Intel 2.4 GHz (512Kb Mem) one with ATI 9600 Pro (Tyan) and the other
has a NVidia TI4200 ASUS card
Both working pretty well though with differences in the quality of the
scenery
You can't choose one above the other as some scenes looks just awsome
and some a bit weird (the two compared)
Both are probably a bit lousy compared with a highend card of today -
LOL

my bad, I actually have the 9600 ATI card.
As for the speed, I have not had any issues before with games, but I realize
that HL2 (and now Doom3) are pretty intensive for power. I remember seeing
the breakdown on which cards were the incompatable combo and I thought it
had something to do with the Creative labs sound cards and the ATI.