Closed

Good Duplicate file finder..

What is a good one that can search multiple Drives and use CRC or Binary
compare so its 100% OK..

Fast if possible.

Does not have to be freeware..

Thanks
15 answers Last reply
More about good duplicate file finder

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:29:34 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

    >What is a good one that can search multiple Drives and use CRC or Binary
    >compare so its 100% OK..
    >

    >Fast if possible.
    >
    >Does not have to be freeware..
    >
    >Thanks

    Write a simple UNIX/LINUX shell script that uses find, diff (compares
    files), and sum (performs a checksum).

    FileSync
    http://www.fileware.com/download.htm

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:56:03 -0600, David A.Lethe <davidATsantools.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:29:34 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
    >

    >>What is a good one that can search multiple Drives and use CRC or Binary
    >>compare so its 100% OK..
    >>

    >>Fast if possible.
    >>
    >>Does not have to be freeware..
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >Write a simple UNIX/LINUX shell script that uses find, diff (compares
    >files), and sum (performs a checksum).

    I am not into Lunatic stuff, as a prefer my Sanity.

    So you can shove you Lunix stuff ware ever you like.

    What a utterly dumb reply..

    NoClone

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:44:29 -0500, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >FileSync
    >http://www.fileware.com/download.htm

    I have used it, its not a Duplicate utile at all.

    ><puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> What is a good one that can search multiple Drives and use CRC or Binary
    >> compare so its 100% OK..
    >>

    >> Fast if possible.
    >>
    >> Does not have to be freeware..
    >>
    >> Thanks

    look for total commander

    http://www.ghisler.com/

    it has some serious compare tools in it - needs a bit of investigation to
    find though

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:39:53 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:56:03 -0600, David A.Lethe <davidATsantools.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:29:34 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>What is a good one that can search multiple Drives and use CRC or Binary
    >>>compare so its 100% OK..
    >>>

    >>>Fast if possible.
    >>>
    >>>Does not have to be freeware..
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>Write a simple UNIX/LINUX shell script that uses find, diff (compares
    >>files), and sum (performs a checksum).
    >

    >I am not into Lunatic stuff, as a prefer my Sanity.
    >

    >So you can shove you Lunix stuff ware ever you like.
    >
    >What a utterly dumb reply..

    You ASSumed that somebody responding could read your mind and know
    what O/S you preferred. Maybe if you were smart enough to post the
    same question on an apropriate O/S-specific newsgroup then you would
    have a reasonable expectation of getting a response that lists
    software that runs under your desired O/S.

    It is not my problem or concern that you feel you might lose your
    sanity if you were to use UNIX or LINUX. Personally, if I felt that
    certain operating systems were "lunatic stuff" as you wrote, I would
    consider getting some therapy.

    Yes, NoClone fits your needs, it finds and deletes duplicate files by
    true byte-by-byte comparison. It is fast. Smart marker helps your to
    select files for deletion. Recommended by ZDNet.
    http://noclone.net

    v wrote:
    > NoClone
    >
    > <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > What is a good one that can search multiple Drives and use CRC or
    Binary
    > > compare so its 100% OK..
    > >

    > > Fast if possible.
    > >
    > > Does not have to be freeware..
    > >
    > > Thanks

    David A.Lethe <davidATsantools.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:39:53 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:56:03 -0600, David A.Lethe <davidATsantools.com>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Write a simple UNIX/LINUX shell script that uses find, diff (compares
    >>>files), and sum (performs a checksum).
    >>

    >>I am not into Lunatic stuff, as a prefer my Sanity.
    >>

    >>So you can shove you Lunix stuff ware ever you like.
    >>
    >>What a utterly dumb reply..
    >>

    > You ASSumed that somebody responding could read your mind and know
    > what O/S you preferred. Maybe if you were smart enough to post the
    > same question on an apropriate O/S-specific newsgroup then you would
    > have a reasonable expectation of getting a response that lists
    > software that runs under your desired O/S.
    >
    > It is not my problem or concern that you feel you might lose your
    > sanity if you were to use UNIX or LINUX. Personally, if I felt that
    > certain operating systems were "lunatic stuff" as you wrote, I would
    > consider getting some therapy.

    It is a reasonable assumption that someone who is posting using Forte Free
    Agent is running some flavor of Windows. Funny that an expert like you
    wouldn't think to check someone's headers before going off on a Unix
    tangent. And it's stuff like that that make people so annoyed with the
    Unix community that it will be a cold day in Hell before they try it. And
    before you suggest that I'm a Microsoft bigot, you might check what I'm
    using.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "David A.Lethe" <davidATsantools.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:39:53 +1300, puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:56:03 -0600, David A.Lethe <davidATsantools.com>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Write a simple UNIX/LINUX shell script that uses find, diff (compares
    >>>files), and sum (performs a checksum).
    >>

    >>I am not into Lunatic stuff, as a prefer my Sanity.
    >>

    >>So you can shove you Lunix stuff ware ever you like.
    >>
    >>What a utterly dumb reply..
    >>

    > You ASSumed that somebody responding could read your mind and know
    > what O/S you preferred. Maybe if you were smart enough to post the
    > same question on an apropriate O/S-specific newsgroup then you would
    > have a reasonable expectation of getting a response that lists
    > software that runs under your desired O/S.

    Why do you appear to take it for granted that anyone asking advice here has
    learnt how to
    "Write a simple UNIX/LINUX shell script that uses find, diff (compare
    files), and sum (performs a checksum)." I certainly don't have a clue and
    guess that most wouldn't. It seems to me that you are the ass.

    If it is so easy and you are not a troll, then why not just write it and
    post it here with simple instructions.
  11. I like Reasonable NoClone. There is this one too:

    Duplicate File Finder

    http://www.funduc.com/dupfiles.htm
  12. This is a 3 year old archived thread. Doubt that the OP is still following this.
  13. I tried several utilities of this kind, both free and shareware and finally found one that works the best for me. This duplicate file finder - DupeTrasher not only that it finds duplicate files but also duplicate folders. It can also search inside archives. Other nice features are ability to filter and sort results in several ways so that you can easily decide which to mark for removal.

    I got it with at a reduced price since they offer discount to the users who already own some other similar software as I did. Give it a try www.dupetrasher.com
  14. firemist said:
    This is a 3 year old archived thread. Doubt that the OP is still following this.

    perhaps not. but i found my way here via good ol' google that, as responsible citizens, we must all diligently check first before asking any dumb questions, or, gawd help us, starting a new thread. :ouch:

    and some of these dupe detectors are still around and look good!
  15. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Hardware Storage