Adding IDE drive as slave to SATA disk

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 20, 2005 6:51:32 PM

Just built new system..ASUS K8V-X mobo, AMD 3000+, Matrox 160gbSATA drive,
WINXP SP2, etc. SATA disk works fine and is fully loaded with XP, etc.
Have added an old IBM deskstar as slave using onboard IDE controller but
WINXP tries to boot into it. Have looked in BIOS but can't work out what has
to be done to get BIOS to boot SATA drive first as there is no refernece to
it that I can find.. Just Floppy, IDE drives, etc. Don't want to set them up
as RAID or could/should I?
Step by step advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

John
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 20, 2005 6:51:33 PM

"John Lowe" <john@johnlowe.co.uk> wrote:
> Just built new system..ASUS K8V-X mobo, AMD 3000+,
> Matrox 160gbSATA drive, WINXP SP2, etc. SATA disk
> works fine and is fully loaded with XP, etc.
> Have added an old IBM deskstar as slave using onboard
> IDE controller but WINXP tries to boot into it. Have looked
> in BIOS but can't work out what has to be done to get BIOS
> to boot SATA drive first as there is no refernece to it that I
> can find.. Just Floppy, IDE drives, etc. Don't want to set
> them up as RAID or could/should I?

Could you mean "Maxtor" drive?

The IDE drive doesn't have to jumpered as Slave or Master
since those settings just differentiate the two IDE drives
that happen to be on the same IDE channel. Therefore,
Slave/Master has no meaning if there is just one HD on an
IDE channel.

Since your BIOS keeps sending boot control to the SATA
HD, it sees the SATA HD at the head of its boot sequence.
(This you probably know.) Could it be that your BIOS is
merely listing all drives as "IDE" drives? In any event,
the ASUS website mentions a new BIOS download that
fixes the "boot sequence" issue:
http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_...

*TimDan*
!