RAID controler

I am running on a Windows 2000 Server over an Intel P4 (865 Motherboard) I
don't have any 64bits slot, neither PCI Express.

I have installed an Adaptec SCSI controler without raid capabiliti with
2x36GB Fujitsu HDD.

I am actualy a bit just of space, and I am disapointed because I have a
security copy of one disc over the other ( I think that it's not secure
enoug).

I am looking for a Raid controler, hardware based, for a PCI 32bits.

I saw a RAID 5 controler for PCI with 4 SATA ports.

What do you recomend ?

If I upgrade to a new server, what platform do you recomend ? P4 (i925),
Xeon+SCSI, Xeon+SATA, Opteron, 1 or 2 processors ?
3 answers Last reply
More about raid controler

    Previously Jordan Gomila <jgomila@bonninsanso.com> wrote:
    > I am running on a Windows 2000 Server over an Intel P4 (865 Motherboard) I
    > don't have any 64bits slot, neither PCI Express.

    > I have installed an Adaptec SCSI controler without raid capabiliti with
    > 2x36GB Fujitsu HDD.

    > I am actualy a bit just of space, and I am disapointed because I have a
    > security copy of one disc over the other ( I think that it's not secure
    > enoug).

    > I am looking for a Raid controler, hardware based, for a PCI 32bits.

    > I saw a RAID 5 controler for PCI with 4 SATA ports.

    > What do you recomend ?

    Stay away from Adaptec SATA-RAID. It is slow, unreliable and
    has monitoring tools unusable for automatic monitoring from
    my experience (was with Linux). They also do not have SMART
    monitoring, even though some of their documentation claims
    they have it.

    Arno

    "Jordan Gomila" <jgomila@bonninsanso.com> wrote in message
    >I am running on a Windows 2000 Server over an Intel P4 (865 Motherboard) I
    > don't have any 64bits slot, neither PCI Express.
    >
    > I have installed an Adaptec SCSI controler without raid capabiliti with
    > 2x36GB Fujitsu HDD.
    >
    > I am actualy a bit just of space, and I am disapointed because I have a
    > security copy of one disc over the other ( I think that it's not secure
    > enoug).
    >
    > I am looking for a Raid controler, hardware based, for a PCI 32bits.
    >
    > I saw a RAID 5 controler for PCI with 4 SATA ports.
    >
    > What do you recomend ?
    >

    > If I upgrade to a new server, what platform do you recomend ? P4 (i925),
    > Xeon+SCSI, Xeon+SATA, Opteron, 1 or 2 processors ?

    I use an LSI Megaraid SATA 4 port card, I really like it. If I did it over
    again today, I would get the LSI 6 port card with battery backup. These
    cards will work in 32 or 64 bit PCI slots, mine is in a 32 bit slot.

    The only other cards I would consider are 3ware. I believe they too offer a
    battery backed SATA raid card now.

    BTW, the battery backup is only used if you have a power failure while the
    cache is full, the adapter saves the cache until power is restored and then
    writes it to the disk. An uncommon occurance, but its really not that much
    more expensive and it would make me feel a little better.

    --Dan

    Thanks for both answers.

    I saw a Tekram with a 8x PCI-Express conector that could rum from 4x to 8x
    for diferent versions with 4, 8, 12 or 16 SATA II conectors.

    That could be conected to the 16x PCI Express ?
    It is directly from the north bridge it should be better than the connected
    to the southbridge.

    --
    Atentamente,

    Jordan Gomila
    Asesor Informatico
    e-mail: jgomila@bonninsanso.com

    BONNIN SANSO
    Agencia Inmobiliaria - Estate Agents
    Tel: (00 34) 971 35 04 05
    Fax: (00 34) 971 36 34 58
    e-mail: mahon@bonninsanso.com
    web: www.bonninsanso.com
    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> escribió en el mensaje
    > Previously Jordan Gomila <jgomila@bonninsanso.com> wrote:
    > > I am running on a Windows 2000 Server over an Intel P4 (865 Motherboard)
    > > don't have any 64bits slot, neither PCI Express.
    >
    > > I have installed an Adaptec SCSI controler without raid capabiliti with
    > > 2x36GB Fujitsu HDD.
    >
    > > I am actualy a bit just of space, and I am disapointed because I have a
    > > security copy of one disc over the other ( I think that it's not secure
    > > enoug).
    >
    > > I am looking for a Raid controler, hardware based, for a PCI 32bits.
    >
    > > I saw a RAID 5 controler for PCI with 4 SATA ports.
    >
    > > What do you recomend ?
    >
    > Stay away from Adaptec SATA-RAID. It is slow, unreliable and
    > has monitoring tools unusable for automatic monitoring from
    > my experience (was with Linux). They also do not have SMART
    > monitoring, even though some of their documentation claims
    > they have it.
    >
    > Arno
    >

    > > If I upgrade to a new server, what platform do you recomend ? P4 (i925),
    > > Xeon+SCSI, Xeon+SATA, Opteron, 1 or 2 processors ?
    >

    > --
    > For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
    > GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
    > "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus

Hardware NAS / RAID Storage