SP2 - See unsecured Wireless networks but can't connect

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 23, 2004 12:43:01 AM

Hi

I have sp2 and I have a Netgear MA101 card (b) trying to connect to a
Linksys router (both b and g). In my old house, I had no trouble connecting
to my Netgear router but in this house I cannot connect anymore (I am off at
school). The other people in the house can connect using Sp1 of XP but when I
try to either one of the 2 networks in range, it just stays at the "Waiting
for network..." page - then disconnects. Both networks have decent signal
strength and I had it connect even though its unsecure. So essentially, my
computer sees both wireless networks but cannot connect. I have double
checked and seen that the networks are both setup for "open" and have
security features "disabled" (no WEP).

Thus I don't know what to do because the networks are obviously fine but my
computer with SP2 just won't plain connect.

Thanks in advance,
Drew
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 23, 2004 3:29:01 AM

hats very rare you may rerinstall the wireless network program that may help
or it will be better to check the router configuratin it m,ay be
wrong or th firewall you have in tthe computer may have conflicts with your
network i recommend you to turn off the firewall
"Drew" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have sp2 and I have a Netgear MA101 card (b) trying to connect to a
> Linksys router (both b and g). In my old house, I had no trouble connecting
> to my Netgear router but in this house I cannot connect anymore (I am off at
> school). The other people in the house can connect using Sp1 of XP but when I
> try to either one of the 2 networks in range, it just stays at the "Waiting
> for network..." page - then disconnects. Both networks have decent signal
> strength and I had it connect even though its unsecure. So essentially, my
> computer sees both wireless networks but cannot connect. I have double
> checked and seen that the networks are both setup for "open" and have
> security features "disabled" (no WEP).
>
> Thus I don't know what to do because the networks are obviously fine but my
> computer with SP2 just won't plain connect.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Drew
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 23, 2004 4:39:03 PM

Check with Netgear see if this is a known issue since you have sp2 in it.
You might also have to configure the adapter in the firewall to allow the
connection. Righ click on the wireless connection select properties then
advanced then check the network connection settings to see if your wireless
card appears there if it does not then add it. Or go to the exception tab
add the configurator for your wireless network.

not too sure though

"maloavi" wrote:

> hats very rare you may rerinstall the wireless network program that may help
> or it will be better to check the router configuratin it m,ay be
> wrong or th firewall you have in tthe computer may have conflicts with your
> network i recommend you to turn off the firewall
> "Drew" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have sp2 and I have a Netgear MA101 card (b) trying to connect to a
> > Linksys router (both b and g). In my old house, I had no trouble connecting
> > to my Netgear router but in this house I cannot connect anymore (I am off at
> > school). The other people in the house can connect using Sp1 of XP but when I
> > try to either one of the 2 networks in range, it just stays at the "Waiting
> > for network..." page - then disconnects. Both networks have decent signal
> > strength and I had it connect even though its unsecure. So essentially, my
> > computer sees both wireless networks but cannot connect. I have double
> > checked and seen that the networks are both setup for "open" and have
> > security features "disabled" (no WEP).
> >
> > Thus I don't know what to do because the networks are obviously fine but my
> > computer with SP2 just won't plain connect.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Drew
Related resources
August 23, 2004 7:19:03 PM

Here's a followup...

So I ended up just buying a new USB card (this time Netgear G) and it
connects to the routers fine.. which leads me to believe that it is a
conflict with the Netgear B card and the Linksys router although I don't know
for sure.

I did turn off the firewall and everything with the B card and it didn't
work so yea, not really sure why it just wouldn't connect. It did connect
just fine with the old Netgear router but not the Linksys router that I am
currently using.

Drew
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 2:41:40 PM

Is one of your Linksys routers a WRT54G? And this router by any chance
wouldn't be set to using Mixed Mode, would it?

I had a similar problem when one of my friends came to stay with me with
her notebook with an old Orinoco Mini PCI B-only card - the notebook
still had the original (non SP1) Home Edition installed and with no
updates! I had to switch my WRT54G router to B-only mode and WEP
(normally set to WPA+AES) in order for her to connect. No problem
detecting the router in Mixed Mode, but the connection simply failed,
with or without SP2.

!