Utility for copying/restoring Windows XP partitions?

I use PartitionMagic 8 with Windows XP. But I have to boot to the CD in
order to work the operating system partition. I have researched this in
the archives, more than once. I am getting familiar with the keywords
like "error 27" and "cannot lock drive". And there is another error
which comes up on the second reboot. I also have to delete BOOT.INI.
Backing up the operating system partition is possible, but it ain't
easy.

I seem to recall being in Windows XP doing some partition work on the
reboot, but not anymore. It's desirable because it is a whole lot
faster.

So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and restore
the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't further the
great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start looking for
another disk manager.

Thank you.
20 answers Last reply
More about utility copying restoring windows partitions

    John Doe wrote:

    > I use PartitionMagic 8 with Windows XP. But I have to boot to the CD in
    > order to work the operating system partition. I have researched this in
    > the archives, more than once. I am getting familiar with the keywords
    > like "error 27" and "cannot lock drive". And there is another error
    > which comes up on the second reboot. I also have to delete BOOT.INI.
    > Backing up the operating system partition is possible, but it ain't
    > easy.
    >
    > I seem to recall being in Windows XP doing some partition work on the
    > reboot, but not anymore. It's desirable because it is a whole lot
    > faster.
    >
    > So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and restore
    > the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't further the
    > great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start looking for
    > another disk manager.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Casper XP.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    > Casper XP.
    Casper as in The Friendly Ghost?

    I've been trying to get Norton Ghost 2003 to work on a Dell system with one
    SATA drive and one IDE drive. First try, ghost locked up in DOS mode.
    Couldn't reboot without deleting the partition that ghost created and
    setting the main partition to active.

    Symantec seemingly has no clue on how to fix this. Googling I found out that
    setting the drive mode from native to combination got me a little bit down
    the road. Now ghost runs in DOS, but the copy fails. Says "Can't find drive
    with specified disk ID." I tried the suggestions at Symantec's site, it
    still doesn't work.

    So I'm ready to either get another ghosting program or an SATA drive.

    Has anyone tried Casper XP in a system with both SATA and IDE drives?

    In article <10v9uurld2abd5c@corp.supernews.com>,
    Tom Lenz <astonishNoSpam@lakotanetwork.com> wrote:

    >> Casper XP.
    >Casper as in The Friendly Ghost?
    >
    >I've been trying to get Norton Ghost 2003 to work on a Dell system with one
    >SATA drive and one IDE drive. First try, ghost locked up in DOS mode.
    >Couldn't reboot without deleting the partition that ghost created and
    >setting the main partition to active.
    >
    >Symantec seemingly has no clue on how to fix this. Googling I found out that
    >setting the drive mode from native to combination got me a little bit down
    >the road. Now ghost runs in DOS, but the copy fails. Says "Can't find drive
    >with specified disk ID." I tried the suggestions at Symantec's site, it
    >still doesn't work.
    >
    >So I'm ready to either get another ghosting program or an SATA drive.
    >
    >Has anyone tried Casper XP in a system with both SATA and IDE drives?

    Give Acronis TI8 a try.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    John Doe is right...Acronis True Image 8 would be my choice as well.

    It is. Get it here: http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/

    > I've been trying to get Norton Ghost 2003 to work on a Dell system with one
    > SATA drive and one IDE drive. First try, ghost locked up in DOS mode.
    > Couldn't reboot without deleting the partition that ghost created and
    > setting the main partition to active.
    >
    > Symantec seemingly has no clue on how to fix this. Googling I found out that
    > setting the drive mode from native to combination got me a little bit down
    > the road. Now ghost runs in DOS, but the copy fails. Says "Can't find drive
    > with specified disk ID." I tried the suggestions at Symantec's site, it
    > still doesn't work.
    >
    > So I'm ready to either get another ghosting program or an SATA drive.
    >
    > Has anyone tried Casper XP in a system with both SATA and IDE drives?

    I've used it extensively with IDE and a mixture of IDE and SCSI. It has
    never once hiccupped. The website clearly states it works with SATA and
    I have no doubts about it.

    I did think they had an eval version at one stage. However, I am doing
    beta testing on this product and I can assure you it is the easiest,
    most effective image copier I have ever come across. About 5 clicks
    gets the job done.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    > I can assure you it is the easiest,
    > most effective image copier I have ever come across. About 5 clicks
    > gets the job done.

    Odie, thanks for the info. I'm curious, have you ever used bootit ng?

    Tom Lenz wrote:

    > > I can assure you it is the easiest,
    > > most effective image copier I have ever come across. About 5 clicks
    > > gets the job done.
    >
    > Odie, thanks for the info. I'm curious, have you ever used bootit ng?

    No - I don't touch partitioning / boot managers with a barge pole.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > In article <10v9uurld2abd5c@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Tom Lenz <astonishNoSpam@lakotanetwork.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Casper XP.
    > >Casper as in The Friendly Ghost?
    > >
    > >I've been trying to get Norton Ghost 2003 to work on a Dell system with one
    > >SATA drive and one IDE drive. First try, ghost locked up in DOS mode.
    > >Couldn't reboot without deleting the partition that ghost created and
    > >setting the main partition to active.
    > >
    > >Symantec seemingly has no clue on how to fix this. Googling I found out that
    > >setting the drive mode from native to combination got me a little bit down
    > >the road. Now ghost runs in DOS, but the copy fails. Says "Can't find drive
    > >with specified disk ID." I tried the suggestions at Symantec's site, it
    > >still doesn't work.
    > >
    > >So I'm ready to either get another ghosting program or an SATA drive.
    > >
    > >Has anyone tried Casper XP in a system with both SATA and IDE drives?
    > >

    > Give Acronis TI8 a try.

    I'm beta testing for them as well.

    Absolutely nowhere *near* (not by miles) the ease of use of Casper.

    Sure, it has more functions than Casper - but who on earth needs most of
    them?

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:52:45 +0000, Odie Ferrous
    <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Absolutely nowhere *near* (not by miles) the ease of use of Casper.
    >
    >Sure, it has more functions than Casper - but who on earth needs most of
    >them?

    It looks like Casper dedicates the backup hard disk to your primary XP
    partition, allowing you to quickly swap in the backup disk and be back
    online. Sort of like a mirror that you run only at selected times; if
    I had 3 HDs in one system to back up, I'd need 3 spare HDs as Casper
    targets. Is that roughly accurate, or am I missing something on their
    web site?

    Sounds like it fills a different niche than TI8, which allows multiple
    generations of backups and backups from multiple PCs on a single HD,
    and compresses and splits them if desired so they can be copied to
    optical media.

    Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make sure
    you've got the latest update) will both do this just fine.

    After you've made the copy (eg. primary active bootable partition 1 to
    partition 2) you simply make sure the 2nd copy is hidden, non-bootable
    and you're done.

    The problem you probably have is when you've got two primary active
    bootable partitions visible -- that's a no-no and will make XP get
    hiccups. Hide all copies of the primary XP boot partition and you'll be
    fine.

    ---

    Another way is to use Ghost 2003 and to backup the entire parition to
    files on another parition/CD/DVD. CD/DVD is nice because you'll never
    lose everything when a virus/HD crash strikes -- this will erase both
    your primary and backup copies on the HD -- and works great.

    (Acronis True Image is another recommended product others have used.)

    Later, you wrote:
    >... I don't touch partitioning / boot managers with a barge pole.

    What do you mean by that?

    >Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:04:58 +0000
    >From: Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com>
    >From: Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous @hotmail.com>
    >Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
    >Subject: Re: Utility for copying/restoring Windows XP partitions?

    I wrote:

    Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

    I will be looking for a utility like PartitionMagic 8 which will copy
    and restore the Windows XP partition to the same hard disk drive. I'm
    talking about multiple partitions on the same hard disk drive.

    My idea of a disk manager is a utility which manipulates multiple
    partitions on the same hard disk drive.

    Apparently the applicable advice is to look at Acronis TI8.

    Thanks.

    John Doe wrote:

    > I wrote:

    > Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

    Evidently so.

    In your own words,

    "So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and restore
    the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't further the
    great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start looking for
    another disk manager."

    Hence my response about Casper XP which, in my own experience, is the
    best for the above, simple task.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >John Doe wrote:
    >>
    >> I wrote:

    >> Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    >
    >Evidently so.
    >
    >In your own words,
    >
    >"So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and
    >restore the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't
    >further the great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start
    >looking for another disk manager."
    >

    >Hence my response about Casper XP which, in my own experience, is
    >the best for the above, simple task.

    Assuming the system has a spare disk (or perhaps removable media) to
    use for that task.

    David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

    >Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make sure
    >you've got the latest update)

    From where?

    >The problem you probably have is when you've got two primary active
    >bootable partitions visible -- that's a no-no and will make XP get
    >hiccups. Hide all copies of the primary XP boot partition and
    >you'll be fine.

    I wish. I've been doing PartitionMagic to manipulate partitions
    since version 4 came out.

    I understand it works for you, but there's something wrong on my
    system even with a fresh install of Windows XP SP1.

    Thanks.

    John Doe wrote:

    > Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >John Doe wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I wrote:

    > >> Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    > >
    > >Evidently so.
    > >
    > >In your own words,
    > >
    > >"So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and
    > >restore the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't
    > >further the great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start
    > >looking for another disk manager."
    > >

    > >Hence my response about Casper XP which, in my own experience, is
    > >the best for the above, simple task.
    >
    > Assuming the system has a spare disk (or perhaps removable media) to
    > use for that task.

    On all my recovery systems, the operating system partition is 10GB in
    size.

    For each system, I have a spare 10GB drive that I keep aside - I
    reinstall all my systems at least once a month to keep them as clean as
    possible.

    Obviously I wouldn't use an old 10GB drive to backup critical data, but
    for the operating system, programs, tweaks and configuration, it saves
    the 8 hours or so needed to recreate each system. (Full restore takes
    under 10 minutes.)

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    "David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message

    > After you've made the copy (eg. primary active bootable partition 1 to
    > partition 2) you simply make sure the 2nd copy is hidden, non-bootable
    > and you're done.

    That is not necessary.

    > The problem you probably have is when you've got two primary active
    > bootable partitions visible -- that's a no-no and will make XP get
    > hiccups. Hide all copies of the primary XP boot partition and you'll be
    > fine.

    You cannot get multiple actives with standard utilities.

    The real problem is other copies of a boot volume on the initial boot of the
    copy.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    >>Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make sure
    >>you've got the latest update)

    typing in "Ranish Partition Manager" in yahoo.com to search brings up:
    http://www.ranish.com/part/ immediately

    Partition Magic updates directly from Symantec.com - contact them
    directly.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:51:59 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

    >Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make sure
    >you've got the latest update) will both do this just fine.
    >
    >After you've made the copy (eg. primary active bootable partition 1 to
    >partition 2) you simply make sure the 2nd copy is hidden, non-bootable
    >and you're done.
    >
    >The problem you probably have is when you've got two primary active
    >bootable partitions visible -- that's a no-no and will make XP get
    >hiccups. Hide all copies of the primary XP boot partition and you'll be
    >fine.
    >
    >---
    >
    >Another way is to use Ghost 2003 and to backup the entire parition to
    >files on another parition/CD/DVD. CD/DVD is nice because you'll never
    >lose everything when a virus/HD crash strikes -- this will erase both
    >your primary and backup copies on the HD -- and works great.
    >
    >(Acronis True Image is another recommended product others have used.)

    There is One Flag byte in the Boot Sector that can be changed with a Tool
    From PM simple and I have used it, it turns the boot flag off.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

    >>> Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make
    >>> sure you've got the latest update)

    > Partition Magic updates directly from Symantec.com - contact
    >them directly.

    As far as I can tell, their web site says nothing about the version
    8.05. There is a download for the update version 8.01.

    I'm guessing you're talking about a new package of PartitionMagic
    from Symantec which has the version number 8.05.

Partition Windows XP Storage