Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Utility for copying/restoring Windows XP partitions?

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 5:15:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I use PartitionMagic 8 with Windows XP. But I have to boot to the CD in
order to work the operating system partition. I have researched this in
the archives, more than once. I am getting familiar with the keywords
like "error 27" and "cannot lock drive". And there is another error
which comes up on the second reboot. I also have to delete BOOT.INI.
Backing up the operating system partition is possible, but it ain't
easy.

I seem to recall being in Windows XP doing some partition work on the
reboot, but not anymore. It's desirable because it is a whole lot
faster.

So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and restore
the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't further the
great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start looking for
another disk manager.

Thank you.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 2:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

John Doe wrote:
>
> I use PartitionMagic 8 with Windows XP. But I have to boot to the CD in
> order to work the operating system partition. I have researched this in
> the archives, more than once. I am getting familiar with the keywords
> like "error 27" and "cannot lock drive". And there is another error
> which comes up on the second reboot. I also have to delete BOOT.INI.
> Backing up the operating system partition is possible, but it ain't
> easy.
>
> I seem to recall being in Windows XP doing some partition work on the
> reboot, but not anymore. It's desirable because it is a whole lot
> faster.
>
> So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and restore
> the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't further the
> great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start looking for
> another disk manager.
>
> Thank you.

Casper XP.


Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
www.retrodata.co.uk
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 2:04:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> Casper XP.
Casper as in The Friendly Ghost?

I've been trying to get Norton Ghost 2003 to work on a Dell system with one
SATA drive and one IDE drive. First try, ghost locked up in DOS mode.
Couldn't reboot without deleting the partition that ghost created and
setting the main partition to active.

Symantec seemingly has no clue on how to fix this. Googling I found out that
setting the drive mode from native to combination got me a little bit down
the road. Now ghost runs in DOS, but the copy fails. Says "Can't find drive
with specified disk ID." I tried the suggestions at Symantec's site, it
still doesn't work.

So I'm ready to either get another ghosting program or an SATA drive.

Has anyone tried Casper XP in a system with both SATA and IDE drives?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 2:05:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <10v9uurld2abd5c@corp.supernews.com>,
Tom Lenz <astonishNoSpam@lakotanetwork.com> wrote:
>
>> Casper XP.
>Casper as in The Friendly Ghost?
>
>I've been trying to get Norton Ghost 2003 to work on a Dell system with one
>SATA drive and one IDE drive. First try, ghost locked up in DOS mode.
>Couldn't reboot without deleting the partition that ghost created and
>setting the main partition to active.
>
>Symantec seemingly has no clue on how to fix this. Googling I found out that
>setting the drive mode from native to combination got me a little bit down
>the road. Now ghost runs in DOS, but the copy fails. Says "Can't find drive
>with specified disk ID." I tried the suggestions at Symantec's site, it
>still doesn't work.
>
>So I'm ready to either get another ghosting program or an SATA drive.
>
>Has anyone tried Casper XP in a system with both SATA and IDE drives?
>
>


Give Acronis TI8 a try.


--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 3:38:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

John Doe is right...Acronis True Image 8 would be my choice as well.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 5:02:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Tom Lenz wrote:
>
> > Casper XP.
> Casper as in The Friendly Ghost?


It is. Get it here: http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/


> I've been trying to get Norton Ghost 2003 to work on a Dell system with one
> SATA drive and one IDE drive. First try, ghost locked up in DOS mode.
> Couldn't reboot without deleting the partition that ghost created and
> setting the main partition to active.
>
> Symantec seemingly has no clue on how to fix this. Googling I found out that
> setting the drive mode from native to combination got me a little bit down
> the road. Now ghost runs in DOS, but the copy fails. Says "Can't find drive
> with specified disk ID." I tried the suggestions at Symantec's site, it
> still doesn't work.
>
> So I'm ready to either get another ghosting program or an SATA drive.
>
> Has anyone tried Casper XP in a system with both SATA and IDE drives?

I've used it extensively with IDE and a mixture of IDE and SCSI. It has
never once hiccupped. The website clearly states it works with SATA and
I have no doubts about it.

I did think they had an eval version at one stage. However, I am doing
beta testing on this product and I can assure you it is the easiest,
most effective image copier I have ever come across. About 5 clicks
gets the job done.


Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
www.retrodata.co.uk
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 5:02:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> I can assure you it is the easiest,
> most effective image copier I have ever come across. About 5 clicks
> gets the job done.

Odie, thanks for the info. I'm curious, have you ever used bootit ng?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 6:51:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Tom Lenz wrote:
>
> > I can assure you it is the easiest,
> > most effective image copier I have ever come across. About 5 clicks
> > gets the job done.
>
> Odie, thanks for the info. I'm curious, have you ever used bootit ng?

No - I don't touch partitioning / boot managers with a barge pole.


Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
www.retrodata.co.uk
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 6:52:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Al Dykes wrote:
>
> In article <10v9uurld2abd5c@corp.supernews.com>,
> Tom Lenz <astonishNoSpam@lakotanetwork.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Casper XP.
> >Casper as in The Friendly Ghost?
> >
> >I've been trying to get Norton Ghost 2003 to work on a Dell system with one
> >SATA drive and one IDE drive. First try, ghost locked up in DOS mode.
> >Couldn't reboot without deleting the partition that ghost created and
> >setting the main partition to active.
> >
> >Symantec seemingly has no clue on how to fix this. Googling I found out that
> >setting the drive mode from native to combination got me a little bit down
> >the road. Now ghost runs in DOS, but the copy fails. Says "Can't find drive
> >with specified disk ID." I tried the suggestions at Symantec's site, it
> >still doesn't work.
> >
> >So I'm ready to either get another ghosting program or an SATA drive.
> >
> >Has anyone tried Casper XP in a system with both SATA and IDE drives?
> >
> >
>
> Give Acronis TI8 a try.
>

I'm beta testing for them as well.

Absolutely nowhere *near* (not by miles) the ease of use of Casper.

Sure, it has more functions than Casper - but who on earth needs most of
them?


Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
www.retrodata.co.uk
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 6:52:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:52:45 +0000, Odie Ferrous
<odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Absolutely nowhere *near* (not by miles) the ease of use of Casper.
>
>Sure, it has more functions than Casper - but who on earth needs most of
>them?

It looks like Casper dedicates the backup hard disk to your primary XP
partition, allowing you to quickly swap in the backup disk and be back
online. Sort of like a mirror that you run only at selected times; if
I had 3 HDs in one system to back up, I'd need 3 spare HDs as Casper
targets. Is that roughly accurate, or am I missing something on their
web site?

Sounds like it fills a different niche than TI8, which allows multiple
generations of backups and backups from multiple PCs on a single HD,
and compresses and splits them if desired so they can be copied to
optical media.


--
Neil Maxwell - I don't speak for my employer
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 7:51:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make sure
you've got the latest update) will both do this just fine.

After you've made the copy (eg. primary active bootable partition 1 to
partition 2) you simply make sure the 2nd copy is hidden, non-bootable
and you're done.

The problem you probably have is when you've got two primary active
bootable partitions visible -- that's a no-no and will make XP get
hiccups. Hide all copies of the primary XP boot partition and you'll be
fine.

---

Another way is to use Ghost 2003 and to backup the entire parition to
files on another parition/CD/DVD. CD/DVD is nice because you'll never
lose everything when a virus/HD crash strikes -- this will erase both
your primary and backup copies on the HD -- and works great.

(Acronis True Image is another recommended product others have used.)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 9:45:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
>John Doe wrote:
>>
>> I use PartitionMagic 8 with Windows XP. But I have to boot to the
>> CD in order to work the operating system partition. I have
>> researched this in the archives, more than once. I am getting
>> familiar with the keywords like "error 27" and "cannot lock
>> drive". And there is another error which comes up on the second
>> reboot. I also have to delete BOOT.INI. Backing up the operating
>> system partition is possible, but it ain't easy.
>>
>> I seem to recall being in Windows XP doing some partition work on
>> the reboot, but not anymore. It's desirable because it is a whole
>> lot faster.
>>
>> So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and
>> restore the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't
>> further the great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start
>> looking for another disk manager.
>>
>> Thank you.
>
>Casper XP.

Later, you wrote:
>... I don't touch partitioning / boot managers with a barge pole.

What do you mean by that?




>
>
>
>
>Path: newssvr12.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy.com!newscon03.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon06.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.nildram.net!news.nildram.net.POSTED!not-for-mail
>NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:04:57 -0600
>Message-ID: <41F4D65A.97DE2FF5@hotmail.com>
>Message-ID: <41F4D65A.97DE2FF5 @hotmail.com>
>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:04:58 +0000
>From: Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com>
>From: Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous @hotmail.com>
>X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.79 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
>X-Accept-Language: en
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
>Subject: Re: Utility for copying/restoring Windows XP partitions?
>References: <Xns95E7CE1E7B1DDwisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>Lines: 30
>NNTP-Posting-Host: 84.12.13.16
>X-Trace: sv3-0gVLw9mrY9yXYBm/tCMkenmd6AoJ1UWqKg1ovpCp+lSihwLrRDU5z2g0B8wHqJJDYzx8NGSV/+uNf3i!SxJhXpX0AhY1alEOV7/RPZ8nXVFddUBtPcZydapBvnaLQzNR5GRxrFekf1cJ600ydw==
>X-Complaints-To: abuse@nildram.net
>X-DMCA-Complaints-To: abuse@nildram.net
>X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
>X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
>X-Postfilter: 1.3.22
>Xref: newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:344919
>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 9:56:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I wrote:

....

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I will be looking for a utility like PartitionMagic 8 which will copy
and restore the Windows XP partition to the same hard disk drive. I'm
talking about multiple partitions on the same hard disk drive.

My idea of a disk manager is a utility which manipulates multiple
partitions on the same hard disk drive.

Apparently the applicable advice is to look at Acronis TI8.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 4:19:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

John Doe wrote:
>
> I wrote:
>
> ...
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Evidently so.

In your own words,

"So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and restore
the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't further the
great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start looking for
another disk manager."


Hence my response about Casper XP which, in my own experience, is the
best for the above, simple task.


Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
www.retrodata.co.uk
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 4:48:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
>John Doe wrote:
>>
>> I wrote:
>>
>> ...
>>
>> Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
>
>Evidently so.
>
>In your own words,
>
>"So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and
>restore the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't
>further the great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start
>looking for another disk manager."
>
>
>Hence my response about Casper XP which, in my own experience, is
>the best for the above, simple task.

Assuming the system has a spare disk (or perhaps removable media) to
use for that task.




>
>
>Odie
>--
>
>RetroData
>Data Recovery Experts
>www.retrodata.co.uk
>
>Path: newssvr12.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy.com!newsdst02.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!news.glorb.com!npeer.de.kpn-eurorings.net!newsfeed.freenet.de!lon1-news.nildram.net!195.149.20.147.MISMATCH!mercury.nildram.co.uk!not-for-mail
>Message-ID: <41F59EA1.9D13B499@hotmail.com>
>Message-ID: <41F59EA1.9D13B499 @hotmail.com>
>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:19:29 +0000
>From: Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com>
>From: Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous @hotmail.com>
>X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.79 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
>X-Accept-Language: en
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
>Subject: Re: Utility for copying/restoring Windows XP partitions?
>References: <Xns95E7CE1E7B1DDwisdomfolly@151.164.30.44> <Xns95E8839854DC9wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>Lines: 28
>NNTP-Posting-Host: 84.12.13.16
>X-Trace: 1106615967 mercury.nildram.net 121 84.12.13.16:10013
>Xref: newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage:344964
>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 5:07:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

>Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make sure
>you've got the latest update)

From where?

....
>The problem you probably have is when you've got two primary active
>bootable partitions visible -- that's a no-no and will make XP get
>hiccups. Hide all copies of the primary XP boot partition and
>you'll be fine.

I wish. I've been doing PartitionMagic to manipulate partitions
since version 4 came out.

I understand it works for you, but there's something wrong on my
system even with a fresh install of Windows XP SP1.

Thanks.



>
>---
>
>Another way is to use Ghost 2003 and to backup the entire parition
>to files on another parition/CD/DVD. CD/DVD is nice because you'll
>never lose everything when a virus/HD crash strikes -- this will
>erase both your primary and backup copies on the HD -- and works
>great.
>
>(Acronis True Image is another recommended product others have
>used.)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 5:23:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

John Doe wrote:
>
> Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >John Doe wrote:
> >>
> >> I wrote:
> >>
> >> ...
> >>
> >> Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
> >
> >Evidently so.
> >
> >In your own words,
> >
> >"So is there any other utility which can successfully backup and
> >restore the Windows XP partition? Especially if Symantec doesn't
> >further the great work of PowerQuest, I think it's time to start
> >looking for another disk manager."
> >
> >
> >Hence my response about Casper XP which, in my own experience, is
> >the best for the above, simple task.
>
> Assuming the system has a spare disk (or perhaps removable media) to
> use for that task.

On all my recovery systems, the operating system partition is 10GB in
size.

For each system, I have a spare 10GB drive that I keep aside - I
reinstall all my systems at least once a month to keep them as clean as
possible.

Obviously I wouldn't use an old 10GB drive to backup critical data, but
for the operating system, programs, tweaks and configuration, it saves
the 8 hours or so needed to recreate each system. (Full restore takes
under 10 minutes.)

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
www.retrodata.co.uk
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 11:52:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
news:ct456r$rsq$1@news.service.uci.edu...
>
> After you've made the copy (eg. primary active bootable partition 1 to
> partition 2) you simply make sure the 2nd copy is hidden, non-bootable
> and you're done.
>
That is not necessary.

> The problem you probably have is when you've got two primary active
> bootable partitions visible -- that's a no-no and will make XP get
> hiccups. Hide all copies of the primary XP boot partition and you'll be
> fine.
>
You cannot get multiple actives with standard utilities.

The real problem is other copies of a boot volume on the initial boot of the
copy.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 2:54:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

>>Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make sure
>>you've got the latest update)

typing in "Ranish Partition Manager" in yahoo.com to search brings up:
http://www.ranish.com/part/ immediately

Partition Magic updates directly from Symantec.com - contact them
directly.
January 26, 2005 12:27:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:51:59 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

>Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make sure
>you've got the latest update) will both do this just fine.
>
>After you've made the copy (eg. primary active bootable partition 1 to
>partition 2) you simply make sure the 2nd copy is hidden, non-bootable
>and you're done.
>
>The problem you probably have is when you've got two primary active
>bootable partitions visible -- that's a no-no and will make XP get
>hiccups. Hide all copies of the primary XP boot partition and you'll be
>fine.
>
>---
>
>Another way is to use Ghost 2003 and to backup the entire parition to
>files on another parition/CD/DVD. CD/DVD is nice because you'll never
>lose everything when a virus/HD crash strikes -- this will erase both
>your primary and backup copies on the HD -- and works great.
>
>(Acronis True Image is another recommended product others have used.)



There is One Flag byte in the Boot Sector that can be changed with a Tool
From PM simple and I have used it, it turns the boot flag off.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 26, 2005 5:41:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:

>>> Ranish parition manager (free) and Partition Magic 8.05 (make
>>> sure you've got the latest update)
....

> Partition Magic updates directly from Symantec.com - contact
>them directly.

As far as I can tell, their web site says nothing about the version
8.05. There is a download for the update version 8.01.

I'm guessing you're talking about a new package of PartitionMagic
from Symantec which has the version number 8.05.
!