which is the "real" Backup My PC?

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 24, 2005 12:24:29 AM

When doing a Google search for Backup My PC, there are two listings for
what looks like the same product - except it isn't....

One is made by "StompSoft" and is version 5 - the same version that has
been out for a long time.

One seems to be made by Sonic and is the "new version 6".

Are these two different programs with Sonic masquerading as Stomp? Or
how do they relate?

I'm concerned because StompSoft version 5 has not been upgraded in a
long time and every so often, as it has for years, it throws out an
entire backup because it says there's an error on the disk. This is
usually not the case and I've yet to figure out what causes it but it's
making me look further for DVD backup programs.

TIA

Louise

More about : real backup

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 24, 2005 1:16:26 AM

Louise wrote:

> When doing a Google search for Backup My PC, there are two listings for
> what looks like the same product - except it isn't....
>
> One is made by "StompSoft" and is version 5 - the same version that has
> been out for a long time.
>
> One seems to be made by Sonic and is the "new version 6".
>
> Are these two different programs with Sonic masquerading as Stomp? Or
> how do they relate?
>
> I'm concerned because StompSoft version 5 has not been upgraded in a
> long time and every so often, as it has for years, it throws out an
> entire backup because it says there's an error on the disk. This is
> usually not the case and I've yet to figure out what causes it but it's
> making me look further for DVD backup programs.

<http://www.sonic.com/support/dmd.asp&gt;

Historically, BackupMyPC was the desktop version of Seagate/Veritas Backup
Express. For a while it was being producted by Veritas and marketed by
Stomp. In 2002 Sonic bought the desktop software product line from Veritas
and apparently continued to market it through Stomp for a while. The
version on the Sonic site can be presumed to be "official" considering that
it is now their product.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

In article <ct1q4b027e3
@news3.newsguy.com>,
jclarke@nospam.invalid says...
> Louise wrote:
>
> > When doing a Google search for Backup My PC, there are two listings for
> > what looks like the same product - except it isn't....
> >
> > One is made by "StompSoft" and is version 5 - the same version that has
> > been out for a long time.
> >
> > One seems to be made by Sonic and is the "new version 6".
> >
> > Are these two different programs with Sonic masquerading as Stomp? Or
> > how do they relate?
> >
> > I'm concerned because StompSoft version 5 has not been upgraded in a
> > long time and every so often, as it has for years, it throws out an
> > entire backup because it says there's an error on the disk. This is
> > usually not the case and I've yet to figure out what causes it but it's
> > making me look further for DVD backup programs.
>
> <http://www.sonic.com/support/dmd.asp&gt;
>
> Historically, BackupMyPC was the desktop version of Seagate/Veritas Backup
> Express. For a while it was being producted by Veritas and marketed by
> Stomp. In 2002 Sonic bought the desktop software product line from Veritas
> and apparently continued to market it through Stomp for a while. The
> version on the Sonic site can be presumed to be "official" considering that
> it is now their product.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Louise

Thanks for the explanation.