Hard Drive woes (clicks, spinning down & up etc)

Hi folks,
I am having some problems with my hard drives. When I cold boot, just
before it shows the logon screen, my HD clicks and spins down, then I
can hear it spin up again but I get a BSOD and have to reboot several
times in order to enter windows XP. It works fine if I boot into safe
mode though, I hear no clicks etc.
I have a WD 250gig and a Maxtor 40gig. I have two XP installations on
both in order to troubleshoot, but it happens on both installations
when I cold boot.
When I do manage to get it to boot into windows, my uptime can last
for several days before I need to reboot, without hearing any clicks
of death, although sometimes they will click and then spin back up
when I launch a game, and this happens when the game changes the
resolution. The WD is only a few months old, brought to replace
another Maxtor which started doing the same thing, which I then
thought was dying.
My thoughts are down the line of either: faulty PSU (but has worked
for well over a year..its a Antec 450watt ); a virus ..I did get some
really bad trojans a while ago but thought I cleared them using AVG.
Or the WD is on its way out...just strange that its a very similar
problem to that of my old Maxtor.

Help appreciated,
Thanks
Kev

Kev S wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I am having some problems with my hard drives. When I cold boot, just
> before it shows the logon screen, my HD clicks and spins down, then I
> can hear it spin up again but I get a BSOD and have to reboot several
> times in order to enter windows XP. It works fine if I boot into safe
> mode though, I hear no clicks etc.
> I have a WD 250gig and a Maxtor 40gig. I have two XP installations on
> both in order to troubleshoot, but it happens on both installations
> when I cold boot.
> When I do manage to get it to boot into windows, my uptime can last
> for several days before I need to reboot, without hearing any clicks
> of death, although sometimes they will click and then spin back up
> when I launch a game, and this happens when the game changes the
> resolution. The WD is only a few months old, brought to replace
> another Maxtor which started doing the same thing, which I then
> thought was dying.
> My thoughts are down the line of either: faulty PSU (but has worked
> for well over a year..its a Antec 450watt ); a virus ..I did get some
> really bad trojans a while ago but thought I cleared them using AVG.
> Or the WD is on its way out...just strange that its a very similar
> problem to that of my old Maxtor.
>
> Help appreciated,
> Thanks
> Kev

"No money solutions"
Could be some power/contact problem.Try them in another pc.
Use Active Smart or smartctl to look at the health status of your
hardrives.
make backup
Use the Diagnostic Utility by the manufactur of your drives.

"Money Solutions"
Buy a new powersupply.
Buy a new hardisk

I would try the "no money" things first.

Kev S wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2005 06:35:17 -0800, sayso_takewashi@yahoo.com wrote:

> >I would try the "no money" things first.
>
> Hi
> Just ran a full drive test with the WD diagnostic tool, and said
there
> were no errors. Also downloaded Active Smart, and all is good.
>
> Could a virus cause this problem?

No Virus (to my knowledge) could cause this.
Try another power supply first.If it goes,good.
If not try them in another computer.

Also Active Smart is only good,when running a few days.But your
problems might be some Power Issue,i think.

Kev S wrote:

> >Also Active Smart is only good,when running a few days.But your
> >problems might be some Power Issue,i think.
>
> Well, I replaced my PSU with a Chiefec 300watt last night, and so far
> (fingers X) I have not had a problem booting or launching programs. I
> also put back in my old Maxtor which was having the same problems and
> so far its working fine!
> Thanks for the help.
> Kev

No Problem.You are welcome!