HalfLife 2

Just bought the game at a gargae sale for $10.00.
When I tried to register with "Stream" in accepted my CD Key but would
not allow me to start a new account.
It wants me to mail in a receite I don't have along with $10.00 to
regester the game with a new account name and password.
It's not the ten bucks, it's dealing with the mail and the time
involved.
Is there a work around to play the game without Stream?
Single player is fine with me.
Thanks for any and all help.
10 answers Last reply
More about halflife

    Touch wrote:
    > Just bought the game at a gargae sale for $10.00.
    > When I tried to register with "Stream" in accepted my CD Key but would
    > not allow me to start a new account.
    > It wants me to mail in a receite I don't have along with $10.00 to
    > regester the game with a new account name and password.
    > It's not the ten bucks, it's dealing with the mail and the time
    > involved.
    > Is there a work around to play the game without Stream?
    > Single player is fine with me.
    > Thanks for any and all help.
    Caveat Emptor

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:50:08 GMT, Touch <tomtouch@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Just bought the game at a gargae sale for $10.00.

    You bought a CD and a piece of paper with an expired steam
    registration code. Unless you get the Steam account with it, you
    haven't bought the game.

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:50:08 GMT, Touch <tomtouch@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Just bought the game at a gargae sale for $10.00.
    >When I tried to register with "Stream" in accepted my CD Key but would
    >not allow me to start a new account.
    >It wants me to mail in a receite I don't have along with $10.00 to
    >regester the game with a new account name and password.
    >It's not the ten bucks, it's dealing with the mail and the time
    >involved.
    >Is there a work around to play the game without Stream?
    >Single player is fine with me.
    >Thanks for any and all help.

    i don't know what the law's position is in your area, regarding garage
    sales, but you likely have very little recourse there.
    the fact that the original owner sold-on the cds/dvd without
    deregistering is adequate testimony of their honesty [ie. none].
    you need to have [re: persuade] the original owner of the game to
    deregister the hl2 serial number from his/her steam account. this is
    free when the serial pertains to the retail cds/dvd [according to a
    voucher.

    dr ratt

    gary: so, is there no chance we can be together?
    lisa: only if you can promise me you'll never die.
    gary: you know i can't promise that.
    lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you right now.
    gary: i promise. i will never die.

    "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > deregister the hl2 serial number from his/her steam account. this is
    > free when the serial pertains to the retail cds/dvd [according to a
    > voucher.

    Does anyone know why this is the case? After all, the discs are just the
    delivery medium (like the download). Why should the rules change for one
    version as opposed to the other?

    Ultimately, you're paying your $25-$60 for a combination of Steam ID and
    titles.

    G Hardy wrote:
    > "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > deregister the hl2 serial number from his/her steam account. this
    is
    > > free when the serial pertains to the retail cds/dvd [according to a
    > > voucher.
    >
    > Does anyone know why this is the case? After all, the discs are just
    the
    > delivery medium (like the download). Why should the rules change for
    one
    > version as opposed to the other?
    >
    > Ultimately, you're paying your $25-$60 for a combination of Steam ID
    and
    > titles.

    To be picky, the Steam ID is free. What you are paying for is the game
    and an UNREGISTERED CD-Key. Unfortunately the OP didn't get an
    unregistered key.

    There used to be a fixed charge of $10 to deregister a game from your
    Steam account. In a recent update, this was amended so that purchasers
    of the retail box could deregister for free if they mailed in their
    proof of purchase (receipt). I'm guessing this was done to meet legal
    obligations regarding unhindered resale of the game (possibly in
    response to German pressure?). Perhaps the argument is that people who
    downloaded it and didn't buy a box haven't bought a physical product so
    the law does not apply. I don't know: IANAL.

    As far as the OP goes, you can't play the game until the person you
    bought it from deregisters the key.

    There are workarounds, but they're illegal and, as already pointed out,
    if you have to ask here then you are most likely going to install a
    virus or trojan on your machine instead.

    On 25 Apr 2005 01:00:02 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >As far as the OP goes, you can't play the game until the person you
    >bought it from deregisters the key.

    Or gives you his Steam account login and password.

    "Touch" <tomtouch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just bought the game at a gargae sale for $10.00.
    > When I tried to register with "Stream" in accepted my CD Key but would
    > not allow me to start a new account.
    > It wants me to mail in a receite I don't have along with $10.00 to
    > regester the game with a new account name and password.
    > It's not the ten bucks, it's dealing with the mail and the time
    > involved.
    > Is there a work around to play the game without Stream?
    > Single player is fine with me.
    > Thanks for any and all help.

    You will already have seen a number of replies to this post. To summ
    up, there are a few things you can do, however; the best bet would be
    to talk to the person you bought the game from and have them give you
    their Steam Account Login username and password. Once a game is
    retistered now, the registration is tied to those two pieces of
    information, totally. IF you can get that info, you can install,
    setup, update and play the game with no problem. You can also get into
    your new Steam Account and change that username and password to your
    liking, which you should do anyway.
    It appears that CD Key is valid and in use. This shouldn't be a problem
    if the seller gives you that ID and password.
    McG.

    "Touch" <tomtouch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just bought the game at a gargae sale for $10.00.
    > When I tried to register with "Stream" in accepted my CD Key but would
    > not allow me to start a new account.
    > It wants me to mail in a receite I don't have along with $10.00 to
    > regester the game with a new account name and password.
    > It's not the ten bucks, it's dealing with the mail and the time
    > involved.
    > Is there a work around to play the game without Stream?
    > Single player is fine with me.
    > Thanks for any and all help.

    Free key transfer. No receipt needed. No money required for the retail boxed
    version. You mail the original printed cd key to Valve. The $10 charge is
    only
    for those that bought the game directly from Valve via Steam download. If
    the cd key was banned for a cause you may be out of luck.

    http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=70

    You will need to mail us the following items to reset the CD-Key:
    - The original printed CD-Key. This must include the original packaging the
    CD-Key was printed on (e.g. the CD jewel case). No copies, photos or scans
    will be accepted.
    - Please ONLY SEND THE ORIGINAL PRINTED CD-KEY. DO NOT SEND YOUR CDs OR
    OTHER PACKAGING.
    - Your email address, phone number and mailing address.
    - The Steam Account Name that you want the CD-Key assigned to.
    - $10.00 (US Dollars). Only money orders or a bank cashier check in US
    Dollars will be accepted. For Half-Life 2 Retail Package owners, there is no
    charge for this service.

    come on people don't be afraid to post the proper hack for this to get
    around STEAM. its not like VALVE is watching this usenet and gonna come
    after u. u can always mask yr email. so come on and tell us the hack
    around for HL2

    Hugh

    "Touch" <tomtouch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just bought the game at a gargae sale for $10.00.
    > When I tried to register with "Stream" in accepted my CD Key but would
    > not allow me to start a new account.
    > It wants me to mail in a receite I don't have along with $10.00 to
    > regester the game with a new account name and password.
    > It's not the ten bucks, it's dealing with the mail and the time
    > involved.
    > Is there a work around to play the game without Stream?
    > Single player is fine with me.
    > Thanks for any and all help.

Games CD-Rom Video Games